Austin
Sponsored by

Help save public access to golf (Hancock Survey)

2,078 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.hancocksurvey.com/

My position is keep it as low cost golf course. No parks in Austin make money so Munis shouldn't be held to a higher standard.Low cost access to public sport is essential to combating obesity among our community
Aust Ag
AG
Especially courses you have to walk to play.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yep, totally agree it will be profitable if the upgrade the facility some especially with the Commodore Perry opened up
Aggieangler93
AG
I am amazed that we caN agree on something. I played many rounds there as a broke high school kid and teenager in 100 degree summers.

So none of the recommendations actually include leaving it as an actual golf course? This is all lip service. They don't want golf here anymore in their city. It takes away from their homeless funds and the homeless folks they really want to impact with their policies don't appreciate golf.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
CapCity12thMan
AG
I can post this survey on http://austinamateurgolf.com if you'd like...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
That's be great if you posted it there. I think like with everything the squeeky wheels are getting all the grease. Options are basically public park, training facility or course run by a private company
Aggietaco
AG
Hard to believe that the National Golf Foundation's #1 recommendation was to kill Hancock and make it a park.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My guess is the city asked "what can we do without spending any money" to get the park answer. That course is great, quick, but needs some work. If we can spend 70M on a library what's another million on Hancock. My guess is the city will change it to park decide their is no funding and sell it to a developer.

In the first part of the decade the city wanted to make it into 50-60 home sites. After rereading the survey, I realized this is just a bro in the neighborhood which means it likely won't get a lot of swing.

I'd love for then to look at the state hospital property, it could easily be consolidated into mid high rise and the surrounding area a park,living and retail space
CapCity12thMan
AG
my only issue with this survey is that it is some guy's homegrown creation, and he controls the data. Who knows how it will end up.
Aust Ag
AG
Aggietaco said:

Hard to believe that the National Golf Foundation's #1 recommendation was to kill Hancock and make it a park.
Have you been to Hancock lately, people already think it's a park. There's no shortage of random people walking around, moms pushing strollers, etc. Last 3 times I went I had to wait to swing because I was afraid of hitting a non-golfer.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
and that has only increased since Covid since it was closed for so long
Martin Cash
AG
Hancock was originally 18 holes and was the original site of the Austin Country Club.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I love Hancock Golf Course
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
H-E-B used to be the other 9
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Quick update on this one from the neighborhood monthly:

Quote:

After reviewing the 2019 consultants' report, PARD has chosen the second recommendation for Hancock Golf Course. Instead of preserving the space as parkland, PARD has recommended leasing the golf course to a third party for a golf-learning center that would include a driving range and a pitch-andputt course. This option would generate revenue to help pay for the Lions Municipal lease, but its impact on users of this rare Central Austin green space is unclear. In February, 2020, PARD held the first of a planned series of community engagement sessions on the future of Hancock Golf Course. The meeting was sponsored by the HNA Parks Committee, and nearby neighborhoods were invited to participate.

At this well-attended session, numerous neighbors advocated for the alternative proposal contained in the consultants' report, to convert the land to a passive park. PARD conducted surveys to gather more input and concluded that there is no consensus on the future of the Hancock Golf Course and that additional public engagement sessions were necessary before a proposal could be submitted to the city council. Additional meetings were postponed due to COVID-19 restrictions, but there are tentative plans for a November virtual public engagement session.

In the interim, HNA has taken no position on the future of the Hancock Golf Course and is currently engaged in discussions with stakeholders. Meanwhile, Adam Sparks of the nearby Cherrywood neighborhood has independently distributed a survey through neighborhood listservs soliciting opinions on the future of the Hancock Golf Course. He reports well over 600 responses to date and anticipates results by early October. He is also involved in the establishment of a Hancock Conservancy (adamesparks@gmail.com).
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
So much interest that they had to reschedule the virtual meetings

Here is the official website.

https://www.austintexas.gov/department/hancock-golf-course-planning
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
https://vimeo.com/537317267

New video
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.