Austin
Sponsored by

Anyone else contemplating getting their family out of Austin?

24,719 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by MarathonAg12
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have 3 young kids zoned for Gorzycki Middle School and Bowie HS. Both schools are "fine" but still AISD run. Between that and what's going on with our city and the leadership of the elected officials I am strongly considering getting out and moving to Lake Travis or possibly Dripping. Was wondering if anyone else is thinking the same?
Mookie
AG
We've been out in round rock for a while. I have a friend zoned to Bowie and their kid ended up a McCollum for music. If your kid has a specialized program it seems good.

I used to live in south Austin zoned to Bowie and left 15 years ago. It was only a matter of time before they screwed up Bowie and Austin high.
stamper
AG
I am definitely trying to find a way to get my kids out of AISD. So sick of the messages they are sending my son. Unfortunately, its really difficult for me to move out of central Austin with my job. My son is in 5th grade this year. Considering private school options. Anyone have recs on that?
wargograw
My wife and I plan to homeschool.
Drip99
AG
I moved to dripping 13 years ago. Its fine to be away from austin but just beware the growth is insane, taxes are high, traffic thru the Y sucks and will only get worse with construction about to start and housing is expensive. Other than that...its great
Charpie
AG
Lake Travis and Dripping are growing like crazy. Also, the commute from either place into town would suck.
chet98
AG
We've got a 7th grader in Catholic school in N Central Austin. PM me if want more info. He's been there since he was about 3 yrs old. Also graduated a kid from same school last year that will be a fish at Anderson (online fish)
Potcake
AG
St. Louis?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I'd never home school, I think we see how that turns out, they need other opinions than mind. That being said it will likely be private religious based school until high school.

I am not worried about safety and actually really appreciate the diversity it's some of the more radical dogmas they push that have nothing to do biological sex or sexual preference
chet98
AG
Yep
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Charpie said:

Lake Travis and Dripping are growing like crazy. Also, the commute from either place into town would suck.

Probably less commuters and more work from home post Covid and in the future. We'll see I guess.
austinag1997
AG
JesusQuintana said:

I moved to dripping 13 years ago. Its fine to be away from austin but just beware the growth is insane, taxes are high, traffic thru the Y sucks and will only get worse with construction about to start and housing is expensive. Other than that...its great

Thats what I'm here for.
The Silverback
AG
Charpie said:

Yes, we have moved a couple times in the last 6 years and looked at LT both times but couldn't pull trigger due to commutes. But I think Covid has changed that for us, my wife works DT but has been working remotely since March and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. My office is off Slaughter but I own my business so I have flexibility.

LT is crazy with taxes though, Rough Hollow is 2.87%, most of Lakeway 1.91% and then Serene Hills/Flintlock and a few other areas are somewhere in between. Makes a huge difference.
BrokeAssAggie
We are Zone to those same schools. We are doing private for the reasons you mentioned. What AISD spends their time and money on "teaching" is mind blowing.
Charpie
AG
We ALMOST moved to Rough Hollow about 7 years ago. Commute into town was killer, though.
Drip99
AG
Have you tried to navigate 620 at lunch or rush hour? Just getting a mile down the road is an exercise is patience. OP have you looked at Rim Rock in driftwood? Taxes are high but i believe you are out of Austin and once construction wraps up on mopac/45, getting to slaughter should not be too bad.
DripAG08
AG
Just FYI, Drip is on the struggle bus when it comes to school this year. No plan, poor communication so who the hell knows what is going on as we progress.

For a school district of our size it's turned into a **** show. Parents are livid but seems to fall on deaf ears at the school board meetings. Sorry for the rant, just not sure what to expect with our district moving forward.
The Silverback
AG
AustinAg008 said:

Just FYI, Drip is on the struggle bus when it comes to school this year. No plan, poor communication so who the hell knows what is going on as we progress.

For a school district of our size it's turned into a **** show. Parents are livid but seems to fall on deaf ears at the school board meetings. Sorry for the rant, just not sure what to expect with our district moving forward.
Interesting.

I have lived in this area damn near all my life.....I had an "ah-ha" moment when we went to the Bowie vs Lake Travis football game last year. I hadn't been to the campus or stadium at LT in years and when i saw their facilities and compared them to Bowie I was like wtf are we doing.

And now things are snowballing with momentum to move out there.

For folks who live there now, one of the spots we were looking at was Vineyard Bay but my biggest turn off was location. Is 620 really that bad to get back to 71 at all times during the day? Seems like when we have been out there it wasn't all that bad. Granted school was not in session and Covid I'm sure has brought traffic down.
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
Just moved to Lakeway a month ago. Love Old Lakeway. The people seem to be a bit more on the conservative side which is a plus. Jury still out on elementary school but I hear Lakeway schools are pretty good.
dmart90
AG
Been in the Cedar Park / Leander area for close to 30 years. It's grown a lot, but it's still a decent place to live.
The Fall Guy
AG
Man I have been writing these posts for 10 years since i left Austin.and got crucified for being Anti Austin.

Glad a lot of you are seeing the light.

Pre Covid I could get from Kyle to Rm 2222 in Central Austin in 30 to 40 minutes. Now 20 minutes. Just have to time your drive in and out if your work is flexible.
Potcake
AG
You weren't crucified. You were ridiculed, not for any anti-Austin sentiment but for over the top hyperbole.
The Fall Guy
AG
In your heaaaad In your heaaaad.
expresswrittenconsent
Always weird how anecdotal data doesn't jive with actual data.
gggmann
AG
Left 18 years ago. At the time I thought I'd move back at some point. Now there's no way I'd consider moving back. Its turned into Portland (another city I was happy to escape 13 years ago).
Aust Ag
AG
Traffic at 4 Points is already at pre-covid levels during midday for some reason...with a lot of people working from home. On Friday evening, you'd have thought there was a Vandy game heading north. The other direction in the evening is still manageable during rush hour, due to work situations.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Man if PDX is only as bad as Austin I need to head back up there
rather be fishing
AG
Yes, we moved to rural Montana.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
rather be fishing said:

Yes, we moved to rural Montana.

Username checks out
jbbell
Move to Camelot-been hunkered down here for 58 years since leaving Capital A
JBB
Berlyman
AG
The Silverback said:

We have 3 young kids zoned for Gorzycki Middle School and Bowie HS. Both schools are "fine" but still AISD run. Between that and what's going on with our city and the leadership of the elected officials I am strongly considering getting out and moving to Lake Travis or possibly Dripping. Was wondering if anyone else is thinking the same?

What is specifically wrong with gorzycki? I haven't talked to anyone with a bad thing to say. If you put any stock into Great schools website, which is a huge mistake, you should be fine!
Furlock Bones
AG
due to permanent changes to my commute, we are moving out to be near the lake. our decision wasn't based on schools so much as the opportunity to live a different lifestyle than we can back in Houston.

it is a crazy time in real estate. we had 25 showings in the first 2 days. accepted a contract the night of the 2nd day.

just a word of warning, you need to be able to make non-contingent offers. if you have to make a contingent offer, you will not get the house. so, sell your house (get under contract) and then buy. be ready to make offers immediately on a house you like.
The Silverback
AG
Berlyman said:

The Silverback said:

What is specifically wrong with gorzycki? I haven't talked to anyone with a bad thing to say. If you put any stock into Great schools website, which is a huge mistake, you should be fine!
Nothing wrong at all really....Think its simply more that LT High School is much better than Bowie. And then the liberal push in Austin is the other deciding factor for us.
evan_aggie
AG
I skimmed through the thread, and wasn't entirely sure if the "get out of Austin" was really "get out of blue". I'd call myself an independent, and I am disgusted by the whims of the elected council as to how they want to raise taxes through bonds.

And if that was indeed the point, then let me say: the rest of Texas is moving that direction. The population of the non-city dwellers is shrinking, and coupled with the growth along the border, those from NY, and the West Coast...the state is going blue. It is what it is...
BrokeAssAggie
There are close to 30 million people in Texas. I agree, the inner cities (Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio are blue or turning blue but they make up less than 1/3 of the population. Texas is still red and will be for a looong time.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.