Austin
Sponsored by

Austin following Seattle's lead with dismantling APD

5,456 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggieangler93
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-could-remove-forensics-lab-from-police-oversight-this-fall-releases-timeline-to-dismantle-apd/

This is Austin related for those that still wish to live in Austin.

BadMoonRisin
AG

• Emergency Call Center & Police Dispatch

So am I supposed to use a carrier pigeon to call a social worker, or do I just need to buy a rape whistle?

Absolutely absurd.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
AgGrad99
AG
I knew someone who was offered a good position with the emergency services a year ago. He saw this coming before the riots, and declined.

This is a cost savings move, disguised as Social Justice.
wadd96
AG
Load heavy my friends.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
expresswrittenconsent
BadMoonRisin said:

So am I supposed to use a carrier pigeon to call a social worker, or do I just need to buy a rape whistle?

Absolutely absurd.

Easy to tell who didn't read the story. Local parakeet population being used instead of pigeons.
BQ92
AG
The Fall Guy said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-could-remove-forensics-lab-from-police-oversight-this-fall-releases-timeline-to-dismantle-apd/

This is Austin related for those that still wish to live in Austin.

Forensics lab has been a total mess for a long time. This Item doesn't have anything to do with dismantling.

Different topic on the other items
Martin Cash
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Absolutely absurd.

You'd better hope not. They're extinct.
wadd96
AG
What about racing pigeons? #OBClassic
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Frozen Concoction
You're thinking of passenger pigeons. Carrier pigeons are still around and will be the new Twitter in post-apocalypse Austin.
Martin Cash
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

You're thinking of passenger pigeons. Carrier pigeons are still around and will be the new Twitter in post-apocalypse Austin.
No, you're thinking of homing pigeons. Carrier pigeons are extinct.
BiochemAg97
AG
This is mostly about rearranging the deck chairs. Move a function out of the PD and the PD budget goes down, but that group has to go to another department who's budget will increase (by at least as much is cut from the PD'. Some of it makes sense, like moving Forensics to be independent of the PD. Others are just weird... Officer training not part of the PD? Sounds like a great way to have a disconnect between the training and the experience on the street.
Drip99
AG
$50 million put towards "Alternative forms of public safety and community support".
tailgatetimer10
AG
https://austincouncilforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1327

Attached is a breakdown + a google doc on the cuts. This is a COVID tax loss issue, disguised as a 'defund the police'

6.5 mill to homeless as well...

I bet they never follow through on phase 2 and 3. This is just to calm the loud voices. There's literally cuts to 'special events' in those categories.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

This is a COVID tax loss issue, disguised as a 'defund the police'
I was told by an officer about a month ago, the exact same thing.

They'd have a massive tax shortage, and would have to make cuts, and it was going to be sold as a social/racial justice move...but it was simply a funding issue.

Makes you wonder.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I have 0 insider knowledge, just drawing obvious conclusions. The way they reallocated and only committed to 21 mill is all i need to know.
Cowboy Curtis
AG

BiochemAg97
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

They talk about being cut or reduced, but a fair number of those functions are just being moved out of the PD. While I agree with some of those moves, it is still just an accounting gimmick to say they are cutting that funding. It just moved from one department to another.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Can you tell me why we're "defunding" $18.4MM In traffic enforcement? Where will this be rerouted? I foresee more uninsured drivers, more Hit & Runs, more Carjacking, more auto thefts. Makes no sense!
Aggietaco
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Cowboy Curtis said:

They talk about being cut or reduced, but a fair number of those functions are just being moved out of the PD. While I agree with some of those moves, it is still just an accounting gimmick to say they are cutting that funding. It just moved from one department to another.
That is literally what most people protesting the police wanted. Move certain current functions of the police to other gov't bodies. It was never about reducing spending, just reducing the size and scope of the police force.
96ags
AG
Bob Cole worked the mayor over on the radio this morning.

Adler squirmed like a stuck pig.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

Can you tell me why we're "defunding" $18.4MM In traffic enforcement? Where will this be rerouted? I foresee more uninsured drivers, more Hit & Runs, more Carjacking, more auto thefts. Makes no sense!

It's never going to happen. They are handwaving, its so obvious. There's so much you cannot do without that is on the chopping block. They just want the protesters gone.
AgGrad99
AG
Last night the news was running a poll, asking if you agree with the measures...it was at like 94% who disagreed.

The weeenies are bowing down to an extreme minority. Talk about the squeeeky wheel getting the greese.

We already have a solution to the rioters. You're defunding them.
expresswrittenconsent
AgGrad99 said:

Last night the news was running a poll, asking if you agree with the measures...it was at like 94% who disagreed.

The weeenies are bowing down to an extreme minority. Talk about the squeeeky wheel getting the greese.

Gotta question the intelligence of someone citing a local station poll as evidence of anything. Here's a protip for you just for general life, no poll ever has had 94% agreement. That is the kind of made up numbers that 3rd world dictators claim they won their unopposed "election" against.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Honestly, even my most left leaning friends are not happy with it. They think that where the budget removals came from are not right, and that where the money is going is mismanaged.

94% does seem high though haha. If you look at r/Austin they are probably still sleeping in from yesterday's party on this news, they love it so much.
dmart90
AG
How many of that "94%" will vote against the idiots that passed this crap?

Austin is so screwed.,
BiochemAg97
AG
Aggietaco said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Cowboy Curtis said:

That is literally what most people protesting the police wanted. Move certain current functions of the police to other gov't bodies. It was never about reducing spending, just reducing the size and scope of the police force.

Then there message has been completely inconsistent given they wanted to divert the funding to pay for social justice programs. If you just move to reduce the size and scope of police, you don't have savings to reinvest in social justice programs.

The defund the police has suffered from an inconsistent message from the beginning likely because different people want different things.

It was about taking money from police to find social program like homelessness, mental health.

It wasn't about ending the police except several politicians voted to end the police and create something new.
AgGrad99
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

AgGrad99 said:

Gotta question the intelligence of someone citing a local station poll as evidence of anything. Here's a protip for you just for general life, no poll ever has had 94% agreement. That is the kind of made up numbers that 3rd world dictators claim they won their unopposed "election" against.
Who are you to question my intelligence? that comment was uncalled for. Unless you saw what I am referring to, you have no idea what you're talking about. I dont need your 'protips' and next time you think I do, log off and go do something else.

I didnt reference it as 'evidence' of anything, but as an anecdote. It was a running poll during the news, that changed as the votes were cast. Ignore it if you want, but it was pretty telling that so many people were against what happened....even when most of their story follow up was in favor of more lunacy.

Honestly, I'd wager to bet that was a pretty accurate gauge of the local sentiment last night. Take away 35% of our police's budget, and direct 21 million to fund abortions? Not exactly a crowd pleaser for most of this area.
AgGrad99
AG
What I found ironic, was that they are showing the 'crowd reaction' at the same time showing a man, furious that the city 'only gave us 10 cents of the dollar we demanded!'

First of all...it was 35% of the budget...so his 10% reference was just stupid.

Secondly, Who.The.Heck do you think you are, to demand that our city just up and change for your 'demands'??

I despise some of these people. Often the dumbest people in the room are the loudest.
Martin Cash
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

If there was a poll of everyone OUTSIDE the city limits of Austin, 99.9% SHOULD say Austin is run by a council of absolute imbeciles who should be institutionalized.
Aggietaco
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Honestly, even my most left leaning friends are not happy with it. They think that where the budget removals came from are not right, and that where the money is going is mismanaged.

94% does seem high though haha. If you look at r/Austin they are probably still sleeping in from yesterday's party on this news, they love it so much.
The 6% that agree with it must be r/Austin.
Vogon Poet
AG
From Governor Abbott (yesterday):

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-statement-on-austin-city-council-decision-to-defund-austin-police-department

"Some cities are more focused on political agendas than public safety," said Governor Abbott. "Austin's decision puts the brave men and women of the Austin Police Department and their families at greater risk, and paves the way for lawlessness. Public safety is job one, and Austin has abandoned that duty. The legislature will take this issue up next session, but in the meantime, the Texas Department of Public Safety will stand in the gap to protect our capital city."

BiochemAg97
AG
Vogon Poet said:

From Governor Abbott (yesterday):

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-statement-on-austin-city-council-decision-to-defund-austin-police-department

"Some cities are more focused on political agendas than public safety," said Governor Abbott. "Austin's decision puts the brave men and women of the Austin Police Department and their families at greater risk, and paves the way for lawlessness. Public safety is job one, and Austin has abandoned that duty. The legislature will take this issue up next session, but in the meantime, the Texas Department of Public Safety will stand in the gap to protect our capital city."

This is part of the problem. City council has done a lot of things that to a lot of people have been detrimental to the city. Yet, it isn't really allowed to get to the point that the people of Austin get to really feel the effect and decide it is a factor in the way they vote. Instead, city council can vote to defund the police and Abbott steps in to use state resources to fill the gap and eventually the legislature may just take control of Austin PD.

The result of all this is the city council doesn't have to face the consequences of their decisions.
rootube
AG
Wait they are moving lake patrol out of the the APD? I'm submitting my resume tomorrow (picture of me in a speedo) still fits like a glove!
rootube
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Attached is a breakdown + a google doc on the cuts. This is a COVID tax loss issue, disguised as a 'defund the police'

I bet they never follow through on phase 2 and 3. This is just to calm the loud voices. There's literally cuts to 'special events' in those categories.

So $6.5M for homelessness. Does one guy get an estate in Westlake or does everyone currently camping under an overpass get a nicer tent. Would love to know how effectively this money is spent.
MaroonStain
AG
rootube said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

So $6.5M for homelessness. Does one guy get an estate in Westlake or does everyone currently camping under an overpass get a nicer tent. Would love to know how effectively this money is spent.

It's payoff money and another jobs program.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.