Austin
Sponsored by

Tesla Del Valley ISD

3,031 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fig96
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/tesla-submits-application-with-del-valle-isd-for-gigifactory-68m-in-tax-incentives-proposed/
cityagboy
AG
Ignore the circle. It's at the pin.
Frozen Concoction
Seems surprising that they would consider any location in Travis considering Elon's tiff with Alameda county.
Bobcat-Ag
It will be some great jobs for the area!
cityagboy
AG
I am glad they are coming. It will be huge for the economy. This doesn't even include the supporting manufacturing/ shipping jobs that will come to Texas outside of the plant!

BUT.... screw that big of a tax break. AISD and Del Valle ISD need some of that money.
SteveBott
AG
While no one likes the tax cuts the factory is still a net positive for tax collections. When Dell moved to RR they still paid enough to pay half of the city budget
BiochemAg97
AG
cityagboy said:

I am glad they are coming. It will be huge for the economy. This doesn't even include the supporting manufacturing/ shipping jobs that will come to Texas outside of the plant!

BUT.... screw that big of a tax break. AISD and Del Valle ISD need some of that money.
If you think about it, Tesla will probably take some empty land that probably has an ag valuation (so near $0 prop tax) and invest millions into constructions. The land valuation will jump with the construction, the ag valuation will go away, and there will be lots of tax $, even if Tesla gets a portion of it rebated.

BTW, it wouldn't help AISD much. If they are making a deal with Del Valle ISD, it wont be part of AISD tax base. Plus, AISD pays the state under the robinhood plan. Way too much property valuation for the number of students. Adding more property valuation would probably just funnel more to the state.
SteveBott
AG
Small correction. They bulldoze an old concrete plant so a benefit. Doubt those guys pay near the taxes Tesla will.
I bleed maroon
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

cityagboy said:

If you think about it, Tesla will probably take some empty land that probably has an ag valuation (so near $0 prop tax) and invest millions into constructions. The land valuation will jump with the construction, the ag valuation will go away, and there will be lots of tax $, even if Tesla gets a portion of it rebated.

BTW, it wouldn't help AISD much. If they are making a deal with Del Valle ISD, it wont be part of AISD tax base. Plus, AISD pays the state under the robinhood plan. Way too much property valuation for the number of students. Adding more property valuation would probably just funnel more to the state.

I agree with both of you.

On one side, it's undeniable that this is good for Austin, and good for the specific part of town that can use some economic uplift. On the other side, the whole concept of governmental (or taxing) entities picking winners and losers among private businesses creates moral hazard type issues.

In this case, I'll have to say I'm not pleased about the proposed tax breaks (unless you hypothetically give the same opportunity to all businesses), but I think the good that will likely come from a company like Tesla expanding our economic diversity and tax base will probably be worth it.
SteveBott
AG
It would absolutely stupid to not take this deal
milkman00
AG
So several places are reporting they paid $5 million for 2100 acres. Anybody heard anything different?
SteveBott
AG
Just a guess they paid an option fee to keep their options open
milkman00
AG
I saw somewhere after posting that Elon admitted to having it under option but not having closed.
BiochemAg97
AG
" The Texas Tax Code allows school districts to grant property tax breaks for economic development projects. The state is then required to repay the school district for the amount of property tax it gives up under the agreement."

https://www.statesman.com/business/20200619/travis-county-considering-1465-million-tax-break-for-tesla

While economic development is good for the state, it seems a little off that a school board can basically force the allocation of state funds like that.
SteveBott
AG
Yea I don't like that part
Martin Cash
AG
Del Valley?????
oldarmy76
Pretty much that entire area is in the floodplain
Leander - Ag
AG
It's official.
AgGrad99
AG
I'm glad it's down south. Tired of the Northside of town being inundated with newcomers.
Aggietaco
AG
Pretty easy jaunt down 130 from the North side. But assuming most of the workforce will come from Del Valle and Manor areas.
wadd96
AG
Aggietaco said:

Pretty easy jaunt down 130 from the North side. But assuming most of the workforce will come from California areas.
fify
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AgGrad99
AG
Aggietaco said:

Pretty easy jaunt down 130 from the North side. But assuming most of the workforce will come from Del Valle and Manor areas.
Very true...but That's still a looooong haul from Cedar Park area.

The northside is packed full of people now, with Apple, Google, Samsung, etc....and now with the new Apple facility going in, it'll be worse.

Glad this is SE of town.
fig96
AG
wadd96 said:

Aggietaco said:

Pretty easy jaunt down 130 from the North side. But assuming most of the workforce will come from California areas.
fify
Engineering possibly, but I'd imagine most of the manufacturing jobs will be local folks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.