Austin
Sponsored by

Magnolia Lake Austin shut down

6,934 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Austintm
Throwout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow--didn't see that one coming. I'm betting it's a combination of not wanting to run the restaurant anymore and how valuable that piece of land is.
Complete Idiot
Potcake said:

FUUUUDDDGGGEEE!

Shady Grove
https://www.austin360.com/photogallery/TX/20200511/FOODANDDINING/511009997/PH/1
Came here to see if already posted. I'm shocked!
Potcake
AG
Yea, that land is high dollar. They were starting to look a little like the Broken Spoke as more prooerties were being developed around it. It wasn't a culinary star but was a nice venue. It was one of the places I would recommend when out-of-towners wanted an "Austin" restaurant. Probably be some more surprising closings coming.
Frozen Concoction
Damn. So many Thursday nights listening to music at the Grove. I'm sure some with connections will put up a swell condo tower there.
rgag12
AG
Shady Grove
AggieOO
hadn't been to SG in a long time (a 21 month old will do that to you), but always enjoyed sitting outside with a drink and some music. That said, I'm not terribly shocked on this one. I'm probably making this up, but I thought I'd heard some shutdown rumors long before covid.
fig96
AG
Reading another article sounds like the owners decided the property was worth more than trying to keep the restaurant going, which very well could have been in the works before this all hit. It was a nice spot though.

That strip hasn't been great for restaurants recently, the spot behind there keeps rotating owners and Uncle Billy's shut down to move to Dripping Springs last year.
Throwout
AG
I heard they got a valuation of $5,000,000 for the property. After all the hard work of running a restaurant for decades, it would be hard for me to turn down an offer like that.
emando2000
AG
Although I rarely went to Shady Grove, it was always the spot we'd hang out for traffic to die down from ACL.

No insider info here at all but I'd expect Aussies to be part of this list.
Potcake
AG
Pitchfork Pretty

https://www.statesman.com/entertainment/20200608/one-of-cityrsquos-top-restaurants-pitchfork-pretty-closes-indefinitely
Aust Ag
AG
Down goes Black Walnut over in Four Points and Austin Commons, last day is June 22
Potcake
AG
Some great news, Monger's is moving to the old Vino, Vino location so we don't have to go across town. Just wish there was an outdoor option.
emando2000
AG
Aust Ag said:

Down goes Black Walnut over in Four Points and Austin Commons, last day is June 22
Damn. A good friend of mine was the GM there. They always had a good crowd for breakfast on the weekends. I have no idea what the rest of the week was like. I'd imagine they weren't too busy for lunch and dinner either prior to covid.
Aust Ag
AG
Napa Flats just went down out here in 4 Points.
Austintm
Aust Ag said:

Napa Flats just went down out here in 4 Points.
Yep. So far the casualties I am aware of in the area are Napa Flats, Black Walnut, Galaxy Cafe (Steiner), Coffee Bean (Steiner), Black Walnut, Zoes, and Schlotzsky's.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.