Austin
Sponsored by

Austin ISD closed indefinitely

2,669 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rather be fishing
jopatura
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/aisd-will-close-all-schools-indefinitely-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/

School is done for. I expect the other central Texas districts to follow shortly. See everyone in 2021. Maybe.
chet98
AG
Are they even going to attempt distance learning? My kiddos are in Catholic school but we follow AISD for things like this so I guess its adios to campus for us too. We have been doing the distance learning / Zoom thing for this past week and it seems to have been pretty successful.
jopatura
AG
I assume so, but people I know have not said good things about it. We're still in preschool and follow PFISD.
The Fall Guy
AG
My son goes to AISD and he had Zoom meetings with his teachers today. Starts Monday at 10AM and all work is graded.
KT 90
AG
While it is absolutely ridiculous that they have already pulled the plug on school for this year (way too early, nobody knows what things will be like at the end of April).... they are definitely doing distance learning for the rest of the school year. Will be starting up next week.

Mike Elko
AG
Between Adler and school officials, Austin hierarchy sure seems overly spooked. Weak sauce.

And why is distance learning just starting Monday? Other Texas cities have been doing it for weeks.
Berlyman
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Between Adler and school officials, Austin hierarchy sure seems overly spooked. Weak sauce.

And why is distance learning just starting Monday? Other Texas cities have been doing it for weeks.
If you are referring to Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, they had spring break a week earlier than Austin. We are a week behind those cities, which to my knowledge, all had extended spring breaks. Official distance learning starts Monday for the AISD kinder kid, but we have had online school learning resources provided to us from our school, zoom conference calls with his teacher and classmates, and daily school video announcements from the principal, counselor, etc.

Aust Ag
AG
Friends in Corpus been doing this for 2 weeks.
chet98
AG
My sister-in-law works for a textbook company and they're having discussions / hearing rumors about schools staying closed for start of school year. I supposed its just planning for the possibility but if these whack jobs preemptively don't open schools I may lose my ****. My oldest is supposed to start at public h.s. as a freshman next year and if they start the year with the schools closed that is a tremendous wet blanket tossed over what should be a very exciting time.
Charpie
AG
RRISD still sticking by the May 4th date. However, grading is drastically changing. No more grades for the rest of this school year. Everything is either pass/incomplete. I don't see them going back to a physical campus this year
agmom95
AG
Leander ISD is also sticking by the May 4th date, but expect they will extend it at some point. Going to full online Monday with pass/incomplete for the entire semester.
AgMomofTwo
Daughter is an AP in another ISD that has chosen another path. Telling kids ( and parents) schools are closed indefinitely is ridiculous!! Other than the obvious, how do you think these kiddos and their parents are handling that? Never see their friends, teachers, experience prom and graduation.....Does that mean there will never be school again in Austin ISD???? What a lame way to communicate to the public.
Aust Ag
AG
AgMomofTwo said:

Daughter is an AP in another ISD that has chosen another path. Telling kids ( and parents) schools are closed indefinitely is ridiculous!! Other than the obvious, how do you think these kiddos and their parents are handling that? Never see their friends, teachers, experience prom and graduation.....Does that mean there will never be school again in Austin ISD???? What a lame way to communicate to the public.
I told my senior daughter 2 or 3 weeks ago that she needs to be prepared that there's a chance she's seen alot of her friends (not close ones, of course) for the last time. It's sad.
Austintm
Aust Ag said:

AgMomofTwo said:

I told my senior daughter 2 or 3 weeks ago that she needs to be prepared that there's a chance she's seen alot of her friends (not close ones, of course) for the last time. It's sad.
It is, but as someone who has 3 kids graduated from college and one a junior in college, a year from now it won't matter to them. They will have a new set of friends, and will keep in touch (and see when they can) the close friends they had in high school that they want to keep a relationship with. They all did prom, senior activities, etc., but it's amazing how fast they put those in the rear view mirror.
Aust Ag
AG
Austintm said:

Aust Ag said:

AgMomofTwo said:

It is, but as someone who has 3 kids graduated from college and one a junior in college, a year from now it won't matter to them. They will have a new set of friends, and will keep in touch (and see when they can) the close friends they had in high school that they want to keep a relationship with. They all did prom, senior activities, etc., but it's amazing how fast they put those in the rear view mirror.
I get all that (though the memory of prom, senior year...still have great memories), but hard to explain that to an 18 year old, that's she's the first class in Austin in what , over a century, not to have a graduation ceremony? We'll see, maybe the ISD can put together something, maybe in June. We'll see.
Austintm
Aust Ag said:

Austintm said:

Aust Ag said:

AgMomofTwo said:

I get all that (though the memory of prom, senior year...still have great memories), but hard to explain that to an 18 year old, that's she's the first class in Austin in what , over a century, not to have a graduation ceremony? We'll see, maybe the ISD can put together something, maybe in June. We'll see.
Just tell her every day is Senior Skip Day

I do understand, and hope it all works out for her
AgMomofTwo
I know it's very hard for a senior in HS and true that once they move on to college, those things ( prom, graduation etc...) will fade away. But what about the elementary age kiddos (1st graders, etc) that are just beginning their schooling? It's hard for them not to see their friends, teachers as well. It is an unfortunate situation all across the board. On a lighter note, many parents are having virtual playdates and visits w/ teachers. Let's all hope this all changes sooner than later. In the meantime, Happy Easter All!!
rather be fishing
AG
Maybe this will put a stop to 1st grade graduation ceremonies.
Potcake
AG
I starred you but you're going to suffer the wrath of Karen (male and female versions) Nation.
SteveBott
AG
I understand the angst for missing milestone events but I can't think of worse situation then a graduation right now. Multiple generations of many families who almost can't stick to the six foot rule. Hell group pictures is just one example.

FYI my third daughter graduates in May from A&M and no graduation, no party, not even family dinner. Just a diploma in the mail. So I'm there too
Charpie
AG
rather be fishing said:

Maybe this will put a stop to 1st grade graduation ceremonies.
OMG for real.

Or ceremonies for student of the month.
rather be fishing
AG
Potcake said:

I starred you but you're going to suffer the wrath of Karen (male and female versions) Nation.

Bring em on. Having a child now, I'm allowed to call out that bs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.