Austin
Sponsored by

Eating in Austin this week

2,863 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I were flying out of Austin tomorrow (we live up in Marshall) to go to Palm Springs, CA for the Indian Wells tennis tournament. Well the whole thing got cancelled due to coronavirus. Looks like we might just stay at Omni Barton Creek instead (we've never been there). Hope it's nice. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary.

What are some places we must try in Austin? We both enjoy good food. It will be great to spend a few days without kids. They'll be staying at my inlaws house in Bandera.

Topher17
AG
What price points are you looking at and any type of food preference?

We love Uchi (sushi) and Suerte (upscale mexican) if you're looking to go on the pricey side. I have also heard great things about Comedor, but have not been yet. Looking cheaper, still delicious, and don't mind waiting in a line we also really like Patrizi's (italian). Obviously there are a ton of other great options, these are just few that come to the top of mind.
Potcake
AG
Wife and I go to Palm Springs for a long weekend every September. It's a cool place and a lot of good food.

As for Austin, a couple of other suggestions: Perla's or Monger's (seafood $$$), Licha's Cantina, Micklethwait (BBQ without an hours long wait, Fonda San Miguel (upscale interior Mexican), El Chile, El Alma, Shady Grove, Juliet (Sunday jazz brunch), T22 (Nashville hot chicken), and Jack Allens Kitchen.
Throwout
AG
Just did Comedor last night and it was really good. Get the bone marrow tacos.
expresswrittenconsent
6 different local restaurant threads on p1.
AggieOO
Plenty to do in cali without the tennis tournament. I'd still go there.
evan_aggie
AG
Lenoir (though they changed their menu setup!)
Mongers
Red Ash
Uchi/Uchiko
Vespaio
34th Street Cafe
Fixe
Salty Sow
MaroonStain
AG
No love for Loro?
evan_aggie
AG
Loro is more informal for their occasion. I also think the food is good, but very pricey for what it is and more hype than substance.
Furlock Bones
AG
evan_aggie said:

Loro is more informal for their occasion. I also think the food is good, but very pricey for what it is and more hype than substance.
i agree. i like Loro to some extent. but, it's not the best concept and the food is not quite as good as the powerful ownership would suggest.

round about way of saying, it's good and i go there occasionally. i just expect more from Cole and Franklin.
evan_aggie
AG
For those looking for a new place to try, I'd check out Phoebe's Diner on the weekend (call ahead!) or 40 North. My wife and I have gone to 40 North a couple of times. I really like the converted house-feel to the restaurant, with wood floors and tables. It has a warmth to it in the evening.

Be warned, it is also a little more pricey than one might expect for pizza, but their chicken sandwich and grilled romaine/caesar is pretty good too.
rather be fishing
AG
Olamaie, Barely Swine, and Fixe are probably my favorite dinners I've had in Austin.
expresswrittenconsent
Anyone been to Hank's off Berkman?
I saw it under construction about 1-2 yrs ago and then forgot about it.
Throwout
AG
I used to live over near Hank's right when they opened. It's a great spot--my wife really enjoys it. The brunch is great but it can get packed.
MaroonStain
AG
evan_aggie said:

For those looking for a new place to try, I'd check out Phoebe's Diner on the weekend (call ahead!) or 40 North. My wife and I have gone to 40 North a couple of times. I really like the converted house-feel to the restaurant, with wood floors and tables. It has a warmth to it in the evening.

Be warned, it is also a little more pricey than one might expect for pizza, but their chicken sandwich and grilled romaine/caesar is pretty good too.

I am a fan of Phoebe's Diner. The 04 Platter is awesome!
Born Maroon
AG
Their Cheeky Monkey is a southern take on a Scotch Egg.

- Crispy, fried, seven minute egg wrapped in sausage, shredded potatoes and smoked cheddar, then crispy fried & served on sage sausage gravy and topped with green onion

Delicious
AggieOO
Furlock Bones said:

evan_aggie said:

i agree. i like Loro to some extent. but, it's not the best concept and the food is not quite as good as the powerful ownership would suggest.

round about way of saying, it's good and i go there occasionally. i just expect more from Cole and Franklin.
this. while everything was at least "good," i was underwhelmed.
rather be fishing
AG
AggieOO said:

Furlock Bones said:

evan_aggie said:

this. while everything was at least "good," i was underwhelmed.
I'd echo this.
BrokeAssAggie
I know what I wanted to eat for my 10th anniversary. Congrats on the milestone and have fun!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Relatives in town and would like a lunch spot recommendation for this Saturday in walking distance (2 60 year olds so not too far) from the Driskell ?
Nothing fancy needed.
Thanks.
AggieOO
1886 at the Driskell is pretty good, IMO. Only been there for "beer dinners," but the food was great.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
I stayed at the Omni Barton Creek last week it was beautiful - particularly the pool area - which was heated to like 82 degrees. I had not been there since the renovation.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Sitting here by the pool right now. First time in a while without kids to worry about it. I'm sitting on my ass just chilling!
OregonAggie
AG
Cafe Josie is a cool spot. Took a date there a couple months ago and we both loved it. I think on Fridays and Saturdays they do a flat fee and you order as much as you want (tapas so the plates aren't enormous).

Sitting in the lounge at Eddie V's is one of my favorites for dinner. Their sea bass is one of the best dishes around IMO.
fig96
AG
Throwout said:

I used to live over near Hank's right when they opened. It's a great spot--my wife really enjoys it. The brunch is great but it can get packed.
Yup, really good and great coffee. You can make reservations or if you get there right at opening it's pretty easy to get seated.

As per restaurants most of the highlights have been hit. A hidden gem we like is Shack 512, all the views of Oasis but the food is actually good. Also really like Mattie's for upscale southern food and great cocktails.
agfan1030
Had my first Indian food this weekend. Clay Pit was fantastic!
Hodor
AG
Dude, coming from Marshall, the Chili's at 45th and Lamar should be perfect!

Seriously, though enjoy the week away. And tell your mom that her (surely) favorite journalism student says hello!
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Fonda San Miguel (Sunday brunch)
Clark's Oyster Bar
Foreign & Domestic
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.