Austin
Sponsored by

SXSW Cancelled

1,997 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SteveBott
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rather be fishing
AG
That's funny. Remember this from Wednesday?

Quote:

"Today the threat of community spread is low [in Austin], but we are prepared for that to happen here," said Mark Escott with Austin Public Health in a press conference March 4.

He went on to say that right now, "there is no evidence that closing SXSW is going to make the community safer." In fact, he said, "one concern is if we shut down SXSW, people will still continue to come here."
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Yawn.
Laser Wolf
The real reason is they finally realized it would suck even harder now that many major companies have backed out.
TRUMP 2020! KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
CNN is very fake news.
I Stand with Sul Ross.
#NotAnotherDime
BLM is a lie.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Good. SXSW is ghetto.
Caesar4
AG
Interesting, does that include the EDU component? Today I saw 3 A&M decked-out cars in Austin today advertising SXSW.

https://sxsw.tamu.edu/
jah003
S
Caesar4 said:

Interesting, does that include the EDU component? Today I saw 3 A&M decked-out cars in Austin today advertising SXSW.

https://sxsw.tamu.edu/
Yes. It does.
cityagboy
AG
Maybe needed but not good for the Austin economy. It brought almost $400 million to the area
cityagboy
AG
Potcake
AG
That's a lot of people with airfare and hotel reservations they provably can't get refunded. I bet many still come anyway.
Furlock Bones
AG
Here's my disappointed face.
bankshot11
AG
Sad for the loss of the movie and music portions. Good riddance to the tech bro's and their doofus pop up interactions
Topher17
AG
The biggest deal here is the lost income for small businesses and service industry workers.

Was I going to go to anything associated with SXSW? No, and neither were a lot of locals. However, a ton of folks in this city will be missing out on a huge portion of their income and that shouldn't be overlooked.
SteveBott
AG
Yep. Local tourist and retail are taking the hit. I avoid Austin like the beer virus but a lot paychecks got cut.
wadd96
AG
The impact is more far reaching than the artists. All the ancillary workers... Restaurants, bars, Uber/Lyft drivers, construction folks...

The cancellation wasn't necessary because of the spread (no known cases in ATX.) It was necessary because all the major funders like Apple, Facebook and Warner's all pulled the plug.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Mayor and city council just wanted to make a power play...anyone think the city of Austin refunds any permit fees?
cityagboy
AG
TwoTimeAg said:

Mayor and city council just wanted to make a power play...anyone think the city of Austin refunds any permit fees?
It wasn't a power play. Facebook, Intel and Twitter all backed out which put pressure on others. After 10+ major sponsors backed out the pressure was on. It was more of a "CYA" situation as no one wanted to be responsible for the spread during a worldwide event of 400,000 people. I'm not saying it was the right call but it wasn't a power play.

Everyone who was part of this decision knew how bad it would be for the economy in the area.
Federale01
AG
I think it was the right call. There are hundreds of infected people out there who don't know it yet, especially from the Seattle area where there is tons of big tech. They are still being way too restrictive in testing to know the full extent of the risk involved for such an event.
McNasty
AG
Anyone tracking "unofficial" music shows? We are considering coming to town to catch some local acts, with the official showcases canceled.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
People in Austin: This will hurt the economy here and a lot of people who depend on their SXSW profit will be hurt.

Also people in Austin: Bernie Sanders: 83,803 (37.28%)
wadd96
AG
I don't live in Austin... just a suburb. And I didn't vote for that Commie.

And it will still hurt local business.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
SteveBott
AG
First case here in the Austin area

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-man-traveling-from-austin-to-india-tests-positive/269-77511074-d840-456e-b846-419adf96a861
cityagboy
AG
Probably didn't have it in Austin. Left March 1. Tested positive March 9
SteveBott
AG
Honestly no idea what the exposure window is but it's longer then the flu.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.