Austin
Sponsored by

Austin for 2 days

1,797 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JT88
vbaggie93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Austin with two colleagues for business. We will have one full day to sightsee before the conference. Need recommendations for 2 nights for dinner, music,etc. Staying at Sheraton Capitol which is where the conference is. Other than stopping at a food truck park for lunch on way to San Antonio I haven't been downtown since I was in college- early 90's. Want my colleagues to experience some unique Texas things- BBQ, chicken fried steak (more for me), great country music, etc. All females so I'm a little apprehensive of what I'm reading about the homeless problem and crime. We are open to renting a car and driving out to hill country on our first full day. I'm also aware that the SXSW is the same time so I'm sure downtown is going to be a zoo. Would love some recommendations.
Matsui
AG
Continental club music
Matsui
AG
Gotta get bbq in East Austin
ski-man
AG
Broke Spoke for drinks, music & dancing
Let's go ski-man!
Potcake
AG
Perla's, Red Ash, El Chile, El Alma are a few good restaurants. Your hotel location warrants awareness but the homeless aren't the predatory zombies some want you to believe. Dirty Sixth sucks, elsewhere is fine.
fig96
AG
For BBQ try Terry Black's or Stiles Switch (Aggie owned) if you don't want too much of a wait, SXSW is probably going to affect the lines though.

For breakfast you can try Batch for kolaches or maybe Verzcruz's 183 location for tacos.
tamc91
AG
If you're in town on Wednesday you might check out Warren Hood's band at ABGB in southwest Austin. He is the son of Champ Hood, who was in Uncle Walt's Band back in the 80's. They were an influence on Lyle Lovett.

Warren and his cousin Marshall put on a good show. Mix of country, bluegrass, jazz. Warren is an incredible fiddle player. Beer and pizza are good.
Bitter Old Man
AG
For your Chicken Fried Steak, Jack Allen's is a winner.
expresswrittenconsent
You're not gonna find a good CFS in this town.
rather be fishing
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Hoover's
AgOutsideAustin
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Wrong
- Bill Miller's
tamc93
AG
Visit the Grackle Statue....
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Dr T and the Women
AG
Check out Comedor..named best new restaurant in the state by texas monthly and tenth best in the country by esquire.

I'm a tiny owner in it
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Potcake
AG
Suerte and Licha's Cantina are both on East Sixth.
The duck mole flauta at Suerte is on point.
Federale01
AG
tamc93 said:

Visit the Grackle Statue....
bankshot11
AG
vbaggie93 said:

All females so I'm a little apprehensive of what I'm reading about the homeless problem and crime.

The hobos downtown are mostly contained to Congress Ave and 6th Street. 90% of them will just ask you for money and that's it. 5% will ask you for money and call you slurs when you don't give it to them. The last 5% will be passed out or peeing in alleys and won't bother you. Violence shouldn't be a problem but keep your valuables out of or hidden in your car.

The most annoying people downtown besides the hobos are the street salesmen representing "charities" who standing in front of you so you have to look at them.
rather be fishing
AG
You need to avoid the area around 7th and Neches. The homeless shelter is down there, and it's a mess.
Martin Cash
AG
Matsui said:

Gotta get bbq in East Austin
He only has two days.
JT88
AG
This place is very good:

Kerlins BBQ
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.