Austin
Sponsored by

I-35 is going to be a mess for awhile

3,886 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HTownAg98
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not that it already isnt.

rather be fishing
AG
Something needs to be done, and I'm glad I'm not in the area anymore to deal with it.
SteveBott
AG
Yep since I moved to the area in 1993 the two main north/south roadways a total of two lanes have been added and they are toll lanes on Mopac. Good news I almost never have to go through downtown. I use mopac or 130
HTownAg98
It's a band-aid on a gaping wound.
Potcake
AG
Take it to the Montana board.
tamc93
AG
It still would probably be cheaper for them to buy 130 and 45 to bypass Austin and toll the old 35, but there would be other issues.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
SteveBott
AG
I count 12 lanes versus 8 now. 50% increase is not nothing
expresswrittenconsent
tamc93 said:

It still would probably be cheaper for them to buy 130 and 45 to bypass Austin and toll the old 35, but there would be other issues.
mainly the other issues being that wouldnt really reduce traffic on 35 at all.
tamc93
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

tamc93 said:

And neither will their proposal in the short term. It appears to be a boondoggle to create a park over 35.

It is cheaper to add additional lanes along 130 with less impact to divert through traffic.

Glad they are doing something, but the project will be a disaster throughout construction and any future benefits will be greatly off-set by the resulting construction.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
bodaciousbood14
AG
tamc93 said:

tamc93 said:

And neither will their proposal in the short term. It appears to be a boondoggle to create a park more housing space for all the bums over 35.

It is cheaper to add additional lanes along 130 with less impact to divert through traffic.

Glad they are doing something, but the project will be a disaster throughout construction and any future delays will be greatly off-set by the resulting construction.
FIFY
SteveBott
AG
Houston has rebuilt almost all there freeways. It was a huge pain but had to be done.
tailgatetimer10
AG
SteveBott said:

Yep since I moved to the area in 1993 the two main north/south roadways a total of two lanes have been added and they are toll lanes on Mopac.
this project still pisses me off. Along with the "let's fix 183 and turn it into a toll road" project.

By the way, commute time after mopac construction has improved little if any, unless you're cutting lanes to pay 8 dollars for the pleasure to drive 6 miles.
aTm2004
AG
aTm2004
AG
SteveBott said:

Houston has rebuilt almost all there freeways. It was a huge pain but had to be done.

And we still sit on I-10 and 290. I guess I'll be avoiding ATX for a decade or so.
Potcake
AG
Howdy Houston,
Keep being a pot and don't worry about the kettle.
rather be fishing
AG
Potcake said:

Take it to the Montana board.

Montana traffic jam: elk or deer on the road
Federale01
AG
They kind of killed 130 being a legit bypass when they dumped it out on to I-10 south of SA instead of back onto 35.
wargograw
tailgatetimer10 said:

SteveBott said:

Yep since I moved to the area in 1993 the two main north/south roadways a total of two lanes have been added and they are toll lanes on Mopac.
this project still pisses me off. Along with the "let's fix 183 and turn it into a toll road" project.

By the way, commute time after mopac construction has improved little if any, unless you're cutting lanes to pay 8 dollars for the pleasure to drive 6 miles.
That's because people are moving in. You wanna try living here without the Mopac project having been done?
Martin Cash
AG
Federale01 said:

They kind of killed 130 being a legit bypass when they dumped it out on to I-10 south of SA instead of back onto 35.
Huh? It does go back to I-35 via 45 near Buda. And 130 hits I-10 east of Sequin, not south of SA..
Charpie
AG
As someone who traveled 130 and 45 during rush hour, it kinda ticked me off that I was paying to site IDLE on a road.

I love the toll ways. But this simply isn't going to FIX the issue. With the sprawl out to the burbs, we need to not just fix 35 through Austin. It needs to be fixed down to San Marcos and up to Georgetown.
tailgatetimer10
AG
wargograw said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

SteveBott said:

That's because people are moving in. You wanna try living here without the Mopac project having been done?

Do you drive Mopac north/south during rush hour? I really think the design of the toll road made the traffic flow worse due to the design.

Serious question. Because the line for the toll created a NEW bottleneck that doesn't help with traffic flow. I seriously think it made things worse. Unless you're going to cut off the people waiting to get INTO the toll road, and decide to pay the 8 dollars.
SteveBott
AG
Yea I did not see how they addresses the bridge or south 35
BenFiasco14
AG
Looks like lots of new overpasses for Austin's most valued and protected residents, the homeless bums housing disadvantaged people
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Martin Cash
AG
SteveBott said:

Includes a tunnel under Town Lake.
wargograw
tailgatetimer10 said:

wargograw said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

SteveBott said:

Do you drive Mopac north/south during rush hour? I really think the design of the toll road made the traffic flow worse due to the design.

Serious question. Because the line for the toll created a NEW bottleneck that doesn't help with traffic flow. I seriously think it made things worse. Unless you're going to cut off the people waiting to get INTO the toll road, and decide to pay the 8 dollars.
I thought your beef was with the fact that they did a project on Mopac at all, not merely with the fact that they made it a toll. Got it now.
AgGrad99
AG
Martin Cash said:

SteveBott said:

Whoa. Seriously?
HTownAg98
SteveBott said:

It needed to be done 20 years ago. As soon as they open the new lanes, it will be a traffic jam.
Aust Ag
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Martin Cash said:

SteveBott said:

Whoa. Seriously?
Right?!?! Is this real?? Talk about a major traffic headache while they work on that.
expresswrittenconsent
It's a real shame the city turned down billions in federal funds to expand this to 12 lanes a quarter century ago.
WC94
AG
Federale01 said:

They should have ran it through 21. Maybe they still can?
HTownAg98

It's a real shame the city turned down billions in federal funds to expand this to 12 lanes a quarter century ago.

They tried to play the "If we don't build it, they won't come" game. Well, they came anyway, so now what?
Aust Ag
AG
Didn't the same thing happen to 2222/620 area about 20 years ago?
tailgatetimer10
AG
Nope. I appreciate the effort but good Lord what an awful design
JAW3336
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

wargograw said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

SteveBott said:

Totally agree
JAW3336
AG
SteveBott said:

except it will probably take 10+ years to finish this from the time they start so maybe 15 years and by then it won't do much good.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.