Austin
Sponsored by

Next Stop on BBQ Tour - Snows

5,272 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sher Thing
southernskies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Headed to Lexington this weekend. What time should I show up at this place? Sounds like getting there at 8am is a safe bet.

Side note: Convenience West in Marfa may be the best I've had yet. If it was located here it would for sure have a line every day.

BBQ Joints Conquered:
Franklin
Micklethwait
La BBQ
Black's
Salt Lick
Convenience West
Killen's
City Meat Market
Cooper's
Lum's
Snow's
Aggieangler93
AG
You may want to hit that new Mueller place in Granger. He's Louie's Grandson if memory serves.

I haven't been to Snows in a year or so, but last time I went, we got there about 8:30 and I guess had a dozen people in front of us or so. It was well worth it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
KT 90
AG
Quote:

BBQ Joints Conquered:
Franklin
Micklethwait
La BBQ
Black's
Salt Lick
Convenience West
Killen's
City Meat Market
Cooper's
Lum's

So rank these for us then, based upon their brisquet.
southernskies
KT 90 said:

Quote:

BBQ Joints Conquered:
Franklin
Micklethwait
La BBQ
Black's
Salt Lick
Convenience West
Killen's
City Meat Market
Cooper's
Lum's

The middle of the pack is the tough one to distinguish. They can be interchangeable based upon a particular visit, for the most part. The top 2 are a lock as are the bottom two. (I've excluded all chain joints like Rudy's).

1) Convenience West - IMO better than Franklin because the brisket was just as good but their sides were waaaaay better and they don't conform to the "normal" bbq sides. Hell they don't believe in serving bread with their BBQ because that would take away from it. I was sketched out about it while ordering but I'm a believer that they know what they are doing now. Had their wild moose-garlic sausage that was awesome too.
2) Franklin - if we are only judging brisket here. Sides are mehhhh
3)Mickethwait - This is where some of the picks become interchangeable and personal preference. #3-5 are all very good.
4) La Barbeque - I heard the pitmaster used to work at Franklin's? Did not appreciate them charging me for bread. That was kinda cheap on their part considering how much I paid for their food.
5) Killen's - Always qaulity and they have excellent sides.
6) City Meat Market - The beef ribs are the bees knees here though.
7)Black's
8)Cooper's - I would give Coopers brisket 6/10. Wayyyy to fatty. I could beat them in a cookoff easily. Not a humble brag.
9) Lum's - it's decent but nothing to write home about. Rudy's may be better.
10) Salt Lick - never going back
BadMoonRisin
AG
You should add the Cele Store to your list. It's pretty good.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/cele-store-2017/

Up here in Pflugerville/Manor area
KT 90
AG
southernskies said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

BBQ Joints Conquered:
Franklin
Micklethwait
La BBQ
Black's
Salt Lick
Convenience West
Killen's
City Meat Market
Cooper's
Lum's

The middle of the pack is the tough one to distinguish. They can be interchangeable based upon a particular visit, for the most part. The top 2 are a lock as are the bottom two. (I've excluded all chain joints like Rudy's).

1) Convenience West - IMO better than Franklin because the brisket was just as good but their sides were waaaaay better and they don't conform to the "normal" bbq sides. Hell they don't believe in serving bread with their BBQ because that would take away from it. I was sketched out about it while ordering but I'm a believer that they know what they are doing now. Had their wild moose-garlic sausage that was awesome too.
2) Franklin - if we are only judging brisket here. Sides are mehhhh
3)Mickethwait - This is where some of the picks become interchangeable and personal preference. #3-5 are all very good.
4) La Barbeque - I heard the pitmaster used to work at Franklin's? Did not appreciate them charging me for bread. That was kinda cheap on their part considering how much I paid for their food.
5) Killen's - Always qaulity and they have excellent sides.
6) City Meat Market - The beef ribs are the bees knees here though.
7)Black's
8)Cooper's - I would give Coopers brisket 6/10. Wayyyy to fatty. I could beat them in a cookoff easily. Not a humble brag.
9) Lum's - it's decent but nothing to write home about. Rudy's may be better.
10) Salt Lick - never going back
Interesting, thanks. Definitely agree that Salt Lick goes at the bottom. That place is mostly an atmosphere/tourist trap type of place.

Give Valentina's a try some time. Pretty good brisket there too.
southernskies
Valentina's looks good based on what I see on google!
emando2000
AG
southernskies said:

I've only had their brisket tacos a few years ago and MF'er they were tasty! I live north so trying to make it there is a task.
KT 90
AG
southernskies said:

Oh it's definitely good. We go there quite a bit since it pretty close. Was mostly curious where it would fall on your list once you go there. I've only been to a couple of the spots on your list... need to get out more I guess, but you know... kids.

KT 90
AG
emando2000 said:

southernskies said:

I've only had their brisket tacos a few years ago and MF'er they were tasty! I live north so trying to make it there is a task.
FYI if you do head there in the future... they've moved and are now on Manchaca, south of Slaughter Lane.

emando2000
AG
KT 90 said:

emando2000 said:

southernskies said:

FYI if you do head there in the future... they've moved and are now on Manchaca, south of Slaughter Lane.

Yep. I follow them on facebook and every time they post the pics of their burgers, I think about clearing a few hours to go south to have one.
Potcake
AG
Where is this Manchaca you speak of?
/drops grenade and runs away
OregonAggie
AG
Definitely check out Valentinas. I live the rub they use as it definitely has a Tex Mex flavor to it. Lots of cumin and I love that stuff.

I also think Terry Blacks off Barton Springs is pretty dang good and consistent.
Wes97
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

You may want to hit that new Mueller place in Granger. He's Louie's Grandson if memory serves.

I haven't been to Snows in a year or so, but last time I went, we got there about 8:30 and I guess had a dozen people in front of us or so. It was well worth it.

I've been a fan of John Mueller's bbq wherever he has been set up. He has a space inside now in Granger and the bar has a decent beer selection,
KT 90
AG
Potcake said:

Where is this Manchaca you speak of?
/drops grenade and runs away

Same place it has always been! I will not bow to political correctness

94AGBQ
AG
City Market in luling has been my favorite for years. I live close to valentinas and can't say enough good about them. A great distinct flavor to their brisket.

I agree about the earlier comment on coopers brisket. It's pretty meh and fatty. But their smoked pork chop might be one of the greatest food items known to man. Absolutely blown away by that.
southernskies
Conquered Snow's.

I may be in the minority but the brisket was about a 7.5/10 for me. I always order the moist brisket too. Seemed like it needed a little more seasoning and I would say not quite as tender as other's that I have tried. It was still good but I wouldn't say #1 in the state.

Pork ribs were definitely some of the best I've had, I will give them that.

Got the original sausage and probably would not order again. Seemed dried out and too lean. The jalepeno was sold out when we got to ordering.

A plus was the free booze that was being handed out while we waited in line. There was also a crew from Netflix filming for Chef's Table. Hopefully I'll make the cut when the episode comes out around September.

Overall, I think I would put Snow's behind Killen's BBQ. My personal take.
southernskies
Also discovered by accident that Micklethwait has opened a brick and mortar location in Smithville. Talked to the pit crew and they said that they cook everything there for the Austin trailer location.
wadd96
AG
FWIW, Snow's still cooks Select brisket.

And if you didn't get the pork steak, consider this trip a fail and return.

We weren't planning to go on Saturday, but found out our friends from Tejas in Tomball were playing hooky and driving up... So we rolled up around 9am (it's good to know people... Just saying.)

P.S. we signed a release to be interviewed by the film crew...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
agfan1030
Best we've eaten Guess Family Barbecue / Waco

https://www.guessfamilybbq.com/#Services
wadd96
AG
My personal "best of" list... in no particular order...

Brett's Backyard BBQ in Rockdale

2M Smokehouse in San Antonio

Helberg BBQ in Waco

Flores BBQ in Whitney (moved to FW in Mar, Michael Wyont left FW location in November. Look for a
return to Whitney soon.

Snow's BBQ in Lexington

Franklin BBQ in Austin

Terry Black's in Austin

Alice's Restaurant at Treaty Oak Distillery in Austin

Stiles Switch in Austin

Tejas Chocolate and BBQ in Tomball

Roegel's BBQ in Houston

Brotherton's Black Iron BBQ in Pflugerville

Pustka Family BBQ in Hutto

Louie Mueller in Taylor

1775 Texas Pit BBQ in Snook Station

Hutchins BBQ in McKinney

Many more

A Sharp Stick in the Eye

Salt Lick in Driftwood and even lesser in Round Rock

A Frontal Lobotomy

Rudy's
expresswrittenconsent
wadd96 said:

My personal "best of" list... in no particular order...

Brett's Backyard BBQ in Rockdale

2M Smokehouse in San Antonio

Helberg BBQ in Waco

Flores BBQ in Whitney (moved to FW in Mar, Michael Wyont left FW location in November. Look for a
return to Whitney soon.

Snow's BBQ in Lexington

Franklin BBQ in Austin

Terry Black's in Austin

Alice's Restaurant at Treaty Oak Distillery in Austin

Stiles Switch in Austin

Tejas Chocolate and BBQ in Tomball

Roegel's BBQ in Houston

Brotherton's Black Iron BBQ in Pflugerville

Pustka Family BBQ in Hutto

Louie Mueller in Taylor

1775 Texas Pit BBQ in Snook Station

Hutchins BBQ in McKinney

Many more

A Sharp Stick in the Eye

Salt Lick in Driftwood and even lesser in Round Rock

A Frontal Lobotomy

Rudy's

Typically "in no particular order" implies that the items are mostly equal in preference.
wadd96
AG
Well, this isn't a Top XX list... but you can definitely take a Bottom 2 off this list ;-)
Aggieangler93
AG
Wes97 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

I've been a fan of John Mueller's bbq wherever he has been set up. He has a space inside now in Granger and the bar has a decent beer selection,
I've followed him around all the places too, although oddly enough, never hit the Georgetown location before it closed. I am in RR, so Granger is not a big haul for me. May try to get out there this weekend, assuming my schedule permits.
Aggieangler93
AG
We agree on many of the same....

I try to time my Rockdale transits around Brett's schedule. He has good stuff for sure.

Last time I was in Stiles, on Lamar, it seemed like quality had dropped a bunch. But they also quit carrying the really good sausage I liked from Thorndale meat market. I will have to add a Thorndale stop on my way to A&M now too, so I can pick up sausage there and smoke it at the house.

Edit to add Chisholm Trail BBQ in Lockhart is worth a mention for their smoked fajitas and sausage rings. That fajita has me hooked and you get a massive amount of sides off the buffet line for your plate. It's not a place I would rate the BBQ alone high, but the value you get on a plate, coupled with the quality of meat, makes it an easy choice in Lockhart when I don't want a $25 beef rib.
jah003
S
Finally went by Brett's on Saturday.

Ribs were the best meat that I tried. Brisket was solid but I've been spoiled by Franklin. Really enjoyed the sides as well. Will certainly stop again (we drive by there about 20 time a year).

wadd96
AG
We went out there after Snow's... We just spent time chatting with Scott and Michelle from Tejas and Brett and Keli.

I should add... I helped Brett open up 15 months ago and have cooked a bunch with him over the years... But I really like his stuff.
Potcake
AG
wadd96 said:

I should add... I helped Brett open up 15 months ago and have coked a bunch with him over the years... But I really like his stuff.
wadd96
AG
Fixed
SteveBott
AG
No it's not. PC quoted before fixed. On the interweb forever
wadd96
AG
Well, guess you won't be getting an invite for this Sunday! Haha.
SteveBott
AG
Pretty sure I'll survive. Besides I got a foundation crew on site and already I the first hour busted a gas line. That was fun.
wadd96
AG
BTW, you should have tried the pulled lamb tacos... They were bomb!
wadd96
AG
Well, were doing our thing:

4 briskets
Full pork belly
Spare Ribs
Raspberry Habanero Spare Ribs
Turkey
Jalepeno cheese sausage
Pork sausage

Crawfish mac n cheese with chicharons
Southern green beans
Chorizo pinto beans
Elotes

Enjoy the foundation work
SteveBott
AG
Hey just 8 foundation crew members and super, then add 3 firefighters, 6-7 Atmos gas crews, five trucks, neighbors pouring out of their houses smelling gas calling 911, Gas spewing out of the leak like a gas well, and worst of all?

Wife home for federal holiday sticking her nose into the entire crisis. Not a normal Bott family day.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.