Austin
Sponsored by

need contractor reco for bathroom remodel (anderson mill)

1,766 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by neutics
ratfacemcdougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for recommendations for a contractor for a bathroom remodel. Toilet ok or replacing in the same spot. New cabinet and sink. New tile wrap around existing cast iron tub, or tub replacement. Will probably do a larger renovation later on the master bath and possible porch remodel. The bath remodel should be fairly simple, but would like to have a good working relationship with a contractor that can handle bigger jobs in the future. Thanks
PabloSerna
AG
Recommend you search Austin NARI website for remodeling contractors. Find 3 (thoroughly vet them) and call them up to visit your site to give you a "ball park" estimate on the work you want to do. The deal right now is that many of the real good GC's (General Contractors) are busy. What is left are new GC's or glorified handymen incapable of taking on a simple Bathroom Remodel without screwing it up.

I'm strictly on the Design side of things now. I have done my fair share of GC'ing only to find out that trades can be unreliable and have to be constantly "kicked in the ass" to do things right. That effort takes a lot of time. This is starting to sound like a rant - but just giving you the big picture here... If you choose to save 15-25% by doing the work yourself, don't be in a hurry and buy everything before scheduling the trades (elect., plumber, etc.). That is what I do now - design, get permits, observe construction for QA.

Good luck!

+Pablo
ATXAg2007
AG
Pablo,

What type of design work do you do? We're interested in remodeling our existing home. It could be as minimal as a master bathroom remodel or it could be as extensive as adding on to our home depending on the options and cost. I have a good sense for what we'd like to do in the master bathroom but am less sure about our options when it comes to adding living space. Any recommendations on where we could start?
PabloSerna
AG
I specialize in residential architecture. That includes all types of remodeling, outdoor living, ADU's, etc. You can check out my website for more information (www.pabloserna.com). I offer a free 1 HR design consultation on new projects. A chance for me to meet you and you to interview me.

I think I'll stop there before TexAgs charges me for advertising!

+Pablo
ratfacemcdougal
Always good advice. Generally the same advice I give. I am residential design in BCS and was asking for a friend for at least a starting point on a good contractor.
neutics
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Always good advice. Generally the same advice I give. I am residential design in BCS and was asking for a friend for at least a starting point on a good contractor.
If he's still looking I have a guy who might be perfect...Keith Steinke https://www.facebook.com/KNSConstructionRR/

Keith did my master bath and is an absolute perfectionist, yet is extremely honest. He's also done a couple of smaller projects for me (lighting, paint). Used to be a custom home builder but moved to Texas to be closer to his grandkids, and now just enjoys working on his own though at his own pace i.e. he might have multiple projects going at the same time so instead of the master bath taking 1 week it might be 2-3 total. I sourced my own materials and did my own design essentially with his consult on a few things, though all in my semi-luxury master bath was $16.5k vs. the $25k+ most contractors wanted.

I should also mention that Keith goes to my church and we know his daughter as well. Awesome family. Happy to show your friend his work if interested (located in Round Rock).
ratfacemcdougal
Thanks.

I will pass on the information
evan_aggie
AG
Try Jack Royal Kitchen and Bath.
(512) 587-3900

He does a lot of work in central, northwest Austin.

He did our kitchen. Good guy. Speaks Spanish fluently and uses go-to crews and tradesmen.

But, and I find this true with everyone, you have to be on top of specifics and details. Even good GCs will direct only as good as the plans or specs are...

This leaves me always feeling like a GC too, but the fact is: I am. I know what I want and what level of perfection I'm looking for way more than someone I pay.
ratfacemcdougal
Thanks. I appreciate your recommendation.
neutics
AG
neutics said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

If he's still looking I have a guy who might be perfect...Keith Steinke https://www.facebook.com/KNSConstructionRR/

Keith did my master bath and is an absolute perfectionist, yet is extremely honest. He's also done a couple of smaller projects for me (lighting, paint). Used to be a custom home builder but moved to Texas to be closer to his grandkids, and now just enjoys working on his own though at his own pace i.e. he might have multiple projects going at the same time so instead of the master bath taking 1 week it might be 2-3 total. I sourced my own materials and did my own design essentially with his consult on a few things, though all in my semi-luxury master bath was $16.5k vs. the $25k+ most contractors wanted.

I should also mention that Keith goes to my church and we know his daughter as well. Awesome family. Happy to show your friend his work if interested (located in Round Rock).

Well disregard my referral...Keith just texted me this morning to say that he moved back to North Dakota (my home state as well) for family reasons.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.