Austin
Sponsored by

Multiple Stabbing victims on South Congress this morning

4,427 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PabloSerna
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

rather be fishing
AG
Some of Adler's constituents get out of the new hotel?
Furlock Bones
AG
current update.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/4-people-stabbed-in-attack-on-south-congress/

Quote:

AUSTIN (KXAN) At least one person died and three others were injured in a stabbing attack in downtown Austin Friday morning.
Austin-Travis County EMS says this happened on the 500 block of South Congress Avenue near West Riverside Drive around 8:12 a.m.
Austin Police says the suspect is in custody and no other known suspects are outstanding.
The FBI is also on scene.
The below stream is the APD's press conference:

ATCEMS said one person, a man in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene. Two other men, one in his 20s and the other in his 50s, were taken to a hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries, and a fourth patient refused treatment.

Scene of a deadly stabbing on South Congress Avenue Jan. 3, 2020 (KXAN Photo/Alex Hoder)
A KXAN viewer shared the below video near the scene, showing police in the area. A man is also seen climbing up a building, but it is not known whether he is connected to the incident.
"It looked like he came out of Freebirds," the viewer said. "Then he ran down the area between the building and the creek area, he then climbed a ladder laying against the building. He jumped from that ladder to the ladder attached to the building."
The viewer said as the police officer got closer to him, the man tried to push the construction ladder over.
Potcake
AG
Reading the story on KXAN site, this dude was likely having a psychotic break or trippin his ass off and someone just going about their business lost their life because of it. So F'ed up.
OregonAggie
AG
This is why I don't go into Austin often with my kids. Watching cracked out druggies walking down the street in the middle of the day gets really old.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Your kids are in far more danger every time you put them in the car and drive to TGI Fridays
BiochemAg97
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Your kids are in far more danger every time you put them in the car and drive to TGI Fridays
Except to get them to downtown, he probably has to drive them too. So, risk of dying in the car accident + risk of getting attacked is greater than risk of dying in car accident.

Unless you factor in the risk of dying from eating at TGI Friday's. Lol
BQ78
AG
Perpetrator was homeless druggie and/or psycho.

Adler just needs to spend a few more millions of taxpayer money on old hotels and all will be well. Downtown is safe, ya'll
Potcake
AG
Yea, because there were no homeless people in Austin before Adler.
MaroonStain
AG
OregonAggie said:

This is why I don't go into Austin often with my kids. Watching cracked out druggies walking down the street in the middle of the day gets really old.

This post is rubbish. It's Austin not FING San Fran. Jeebus...
"Thanks and Gig'em"
expresswrittenconsent
BQ78 said:

Adler just needs to spend a few more millions of taxpayer money on old hotels and all will be well. Downtown is safe, ya'll

He did a pretty good job getting all the homeless vets housed.

Kind of strange to put mental health on local mayors and city councils when the system that existed for the first 60 or 70 yrs of the 20th century was lock up and torture everyone and then that was "reformed" (completely removed) by reagan to nothing at all and none of the presidents since (multiple R and D) have dared to touch the issue. Definitely seems like the job of city/county level politicians to figure out.
MaroonStain
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

BQ78 said:

He did a pretty good job getting all the homeless vets housed.

Kind of strange to put mental health on local mayors and city councils when the system that existed for the first 60 or 70 yrs of the 20th century was lock up and torture everyone and then that was "reformed" (completely removed) by reagan to nothing at all and none of the presidents since (multiple R and D) have dared to touch the issue. Definitely seems like the job of city/county level politicians to figure out.

...during Reagan...not "by Reagan." It was fallout from a court case filed by ACLU that basically claimed crazy people can't get shut out of society. Plus rampant corruption and abuse for decades...
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Aust Ag
AG
Austin is safe. Now, if you want to walk around Red River or dirty 6th after dark....that's another story.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Aust Ag said:

Austin is safe. Now, if you want to walk around Red River or dirty 6th after dark....that's another story.

Well, people were working on Congress at 8AM when this homeless man attacked 4, killing 1.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Aust Ag said:

Also, if you follow the news at all there have been an uncomfortable amount of attacks/sexual assaults on the hike and bike trail over the past 2 years. Austin is not safe from anything.
Aust Ag
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

Aust Ag said:

Also, if you follow the news at all there have been an uncomfortable amount of attacks/sexual assaults on the hike and bike trail over the past 2 years. Austin is not safe from anything.
Well, I get that. I'm OK with letting my 17 yr old daughter go with a friend on a nice day on Town Lake or shopping on SoCo. Not so much after dark in the areas I mentioned. Or day for that matter.
OregonAggie
AG
MaroonStain said:

OregonAggie said:

Meh

Every time I'm down on Lamar, Congress, downtown, etc...I see bums and drug addicts. To hell with taking my kids down there when we can hangout where we live and not have to deal with that crap. To each their own.
AggieOO
OregonAggie said:

MaroonStain said:

OregonAggie said:

Meh

Every time I'm down on Lamar, Congress, downtown, etc...I see bums and drug addicts. To hell with taking my kids down there when we can hangout where we live and not have to deal with that crap. To each their own.
If you want to be real...there are drugs and addicts in your neighborhood too. Its just that your neighbors can afford better drugs and do it behind closed doors instead of on the street.
Furlock Bones
AG
AggieOO said:

OregonAggie said:

MaroonStain said:

OregonAggie said:

Meh

If you want to be real...there are drugs and addicts in your neighborhood too. Its just that your neighbors can afford better drugs and do it behind closed doors instead of on the street.
this is true. but, it doesn't have any relevance. downtown is a homeless/panhandler disaster zone right now.
PabloSerna
AG
I remember former Chief Acevedo say over and over again that people here don't realize that Austin is a big City - and that big Cities have big problems. These big problems need bigger budgets to manage. I moved to Bastrop, mainly to rehab an older home in a historic district (that I could actually afford) - however, I lived right down the block from the Freebirds where it happened and that whole area has changed dramatically since 1995.

My kids still go to St. Mary's downtown and I work in East Austin - I'm glad that the Austin City Council is addressing the homeless situation - I think we need to designate camp areas and get them help, not to mention some soap and toothpaste (lol!) - even if it raises our taxes.. err... your taxes.

What's that old saying... but for the grace of God there go I.

+Pablo
tailgatetimer10
AG
While we would love to help people, we have bike lanes to build. Sorry.
fig96
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

While we would love to help people, we have bike lanes to build. Sorry.
But not freeways! Cause those are...bad?
BQ78
AG
I remember you didn't take logic at A&M, what you posted is called a non sequitur.

Adler didn't invent homelessness but he is taking it to a new level encouraging it with taxpayer money.
Potcake
AG
What is Adler or the City supposed to do about homelessness and mental illness then? Bus them somewhere else? Internment camps? Exterminate them like the Nazis did gypsies? Or do you just like taking little shots that would get you many more stars on 16? I would like to hear your preferred course if action.
BQ08
AG
Potcake said:

What is Adler or the City supposed to do about homelessness and mental illness then? Bus them somewhere else? Internment camps? Exterminate them like the Nazis did gypsies? Or do you just like taking little shots that would get you many more stars on 16? I would like to hear your preferred course if action.

So you're defending logical fallacies with more logical fallacies.

Awesome.
BQ78
AG
How about not passing laws that let them camp out wherever they want. Stop buying hotels that cost more than actually paying the lease on a decent apartment for the numbers it will accommodate. Start enforcing the laws on the book instead of ignoring them-- that's a good start.

Hell even your implication of sending them elsewhere is a better idea than what they are doing, because San Antonio and Dallas are buying one way trips for their homeless to Austin.

And your Nazi reference-- that's called hyperbole

And above Adler's pay grade is the nation's mental health system needs a complete overhaul that would not only solve part of the homeless issue but the bogie man of mass shootings that have the root problem of mental health, not gun control.
fig96
AG
BQ78 said:

And above Adler's pay grade is the nation's mental health system needs a complete overhaul that would not only solve part of the homeless issue but the bogie man of mass shootings that have the root problem of mental health, not gun control.
Because taking steps to limit the mentally ill getting access to guns would be too difficult?
BQ78
AG
Right now you can't even get needed treatment for the mentally ill, so how is a gun law going to fix that root problem?
fig96
AG
BQ78 said:

Right now you can't even get needed treatment for the mentally ill, so how is a gun law going to fix that root problem?
You're being obtuse. Getting treatment has nothing to do with taking simple steps to limit gun access to those who have been diagnosed with mental illness.

You're saying the system needs a total overhaul to fix the problem while ignoring simple steps that could help. And I don't mean to tangent on the topic, but you're the one that brought it up.
BQ78
AG
Federal law already prohibits sales to the mentally ill, so is the law working or not?
fig96
AG
BQ78 said:

Federal law already prohibits sales to the mentally ill, so is the law working or not?
Theoretically, but there's lots of loopholes and it obviously doesn't work a lot of the time. How often do we hear, "He shouldn't have been able to buy a gun, but..."

I'm just saying it's silly to directly correlate things like you did with the mentally ill and gun violence, then proclaim there's only one way to solve the problem while not even considering other solutions. And I'll leave it there, the last thing I want this to be is the Politics forum
BQ78
AG
In the instant incident and the one this morning, a gun wasn't even used, the root problem is mental illness.

Because some mentally ill do use guns, we should ban my legitimate and law abiding right to own a gun too? That seems to be the way you are heading. If not, what additional law are you looking for to just address the mentally ill issue and guns that will be loop-hole free?
fig96
AG
BQ78 said:

In the instant incident and the one this morning, a gun wasn't even used, the root problem is mental illness.

Because some mentally ill do use guns, we should ban my legitimate and law abiding right to own a gun too? That seems to be the way you are heading. If not, what additional law are you looking for to just address the mentally ill issue and guns that will be loop-hole free?
This is why there's generally no point in discussing these sorts of things, because despite that having nothing to do with anything that I've said you're projecting that as something I'd like to see happen (which incidentally isn't the case, I consider myself pretty middle of the road politically).

I don't know specifically what we should do, but given that we ban e-cigarettes and lettuce at the first sign of trouble it's silly not to at least explore some options. Not ban things or pass laws, just so I've explicitly stated it, explore options. And one party refuses to even consider that possibility.

As I said, I'll leave it there. Have a good afternoon.
deddog
AG
Potcake said:

Did you learn about logical fallacies in high school?
My kids learnt them in 9th grade.
In Austin no less...
BQ78
AG
Quote:

And one party refuses to even consider that possibility.
Who is projecting now?

We cannot abolish fundamental rights due to effected secondary problems. Just as I would not ban guns for all due to mental illness I would not ban free speech due to social media horror stories (and we all know there are some issues with that too).

I did not assume your view, I did ask if you weren't implying a total ban, what you thought the answer was:

Quote:

If not, what additional law are you looking for to just address the mentally ill issue and guns that will be loop-hole free?
So I think I was open to discussion and not projecting. Good day to you too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.