Austin
Sponsored by

Pozole in Austin?

2,220 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Swope McGee
Throwout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody have any recommendations? I'm an admitted junkie and am always looking for a good one here in town, but just haven't found a place that I can't wait to get back to.
Potcake
AG
Licha's Cantina
MaroonStain
AG
I looked at 'pozole' on the web but can you give me a Texags description?

Is it hominy soup with meat? Caldo with hominy?
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Throwout
AG
Awesome--thank you! Can't wait to give it a try.
rather be fishing
AG
MaroonStain said:

I looked at 'pozole' on the web but can you give me a Texags description?

Is it hominy soup with meat? Caldo with hominy?
Basically stewed pork (typically) with hominy. Then you can add all kinds of garnishes. Typically radishes, cilantro, onions, cotija.

I make it with venison roast.
Throwout
AG
You're correct, it's hominy soup with meat in it. Traditionally it's pork, which is my preference, but some people prefer other meats in it.

It's not exactly caldo with meat. It has a variety of really rich spices in the broth that give it a lot of flavor and color as well. The most common is red pozoloe, but you can also get white pozole and green pozole.

Caldo tends to be more of a clear meat broth than anything else. Additionally, caldo has vegetables that are cooked with the meat. Pozole typically only has the hominy cooked with the meat and then you get raw vegetables on the side to add to it. Usually it's a variety of vegetables like chopped onions, jalapenos, cabbage, radishes, cilantro and sometimes some dried oregano.
Throwout
AG
Wow--never had it with venison roast, but that sounds really good.
Charpie
AG
Flores has a really good chicken posole
rdag04
AG
Fresas has great posole
SteveBott
AG
Side question. I love just hominy and some butter. East Texas thing. Where can I get the best straight stuff? Can? Which one?
Swope McGee
AG
I'll second Fresa's.
Not pozole, but June's All Day on South Congress has an awesome Matzo Ball Caldo. Sounds weird but it is awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.