Austin
Sponsored by

Good Mechanic for a shock absorber installation?

1,055 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggieangler93
jorgerr96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for a reliable place to get a shock absorber installation. Haven't ordered the part yet. I usuaully get all my car work done at the Laredo border but this time I might need to get it done here.
SteveBott
AG
Unless you have some type of specialized lift package every mechanic in Austin can do that job.

Keep in mind many will not let you bring parts and most will not warranty their work.
Hanrahan
AG
I get you wouldn't be posting if you felt you could do it yourself that's a fairly easy job especially if just one. Unless you have some very hard access to the top of the strut all you need is some cheap spring compressors from harbor freight and a spare hour or two if you are new to working on cars. Nothing a few you tube videos can't fix.
Aggieangler93
AG
For shocks, (not struts), I have never needed spring compressors and have changed lots of shocks over the years. I think you need the compressors for struts, or when replacing springs. Granted, most of my experience has been on full sized trucks in the last 30 years or so. Did a few cars before that, and never used them then either.

I drive my truck up onto ramps, set parking brake, add jack stands underneath as a precaution, and get to unbolting the old ones. I do not cut the little tension wire on the new shock, until I get one bolt in on the top. Then, when the shock expands to the lower mount position, I slide the bolt in. Even if it slides a little past, I push it up with my hand while sliding the bolt through, then apply the lower nut, remove the jack stands, and drive off the ramps. It's really simple for me. Takes maybe 30 minutes to change all 4 on a full size chevy truck that way.

Why does OP need spring compressors?

OP...what make model vehicle?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
zooguy96
If you don't want to do it yourself, MarioShop Automotive in Round Rock is a solid mechanic to take it to. Who I used when we lived in Austin. Mario Serra is a good guy.

This is not anything I'd try to do myself, even if it was easy. I'm a dumbass when it comes to cars, and would rather pay someone to do it.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Hanrahan
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

For shocks, (not struts), I have never needed spring compressors and have changed lots of shocks over the years. I think you need the compressors for struts, or when replacing springs. Granted, most of my experience has been on full sized trucks in the last 30 years or so. Did a few cars before that, and never used them then either.

I drive my truck up onto ramps, set parking brake, add jack stands underneath as a precaution, and get to unbolting the old ones. I do not cut the little tension wire on the new shock, until I get one bolt in on the top. Then, when the shock expands to the lower mount position, I slide the bolt in. Even if it slides a little past, I push it up with my hand while sliding the bolt through, then apply the lower nut, remove the jack stands, and drive off the ramps. It's really simple for me. Takes maybe 30 minutes to change all 4 on a full size chevy truck that way.

Why does OP need spring compressors?

OP...what make model vehicle?
yeah, oops, if it's truly a shock and not a coil over strut (which is what I was thinking in my mind obviously) then its even easier and will take no time at all, and you would obviously not need a spring compressor. The only time I mess with suspension components is on my garage queen supra which has coil overs so that's what I was thinking at the time.

In any event, yes if a shock not coil over strut (though people often call both a shock absorber) no need for compressor and will take no time at all for a single wheel.
jorgerr96
I don't really know anything about cars tbh. Tires to You said I needed a shock absorber because the tire was bouncing and that is why I got the low tire pressure lights too soon. Went to Firestone and they told me it is the rim, one of the valves was broken and they also sealed it, but I might just need a new rim. I crashed this rim in 2014 and it just gave me troubles this year.
SteveBott
AG
Sounds like you now know what really needs to be done. I'd take it to Discount Tire and see if they can match the rim
Hanrahan
AG
That would be a very bent rim to causing enough bouncing to be mistaken for a bad shock. I would move a wheel to another position and see if the problems follows.
Aggieangler93
AG
Another option is to take it to Jerry's Wheel Alignment and Tire Balancing in Pflugerville. It's a no-frills place in a little warehouse center, but he is honest as the day is long, and his prices are great. I take all my stuff there that is not major engine work, as he doesn't do that stuff normally.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.