Austin
Sponsored by

River Place neighborhood - thoughts?

5,165 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggiePeeps06
TPeezy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Ags,

I'm moving my young family down to Austin from Dallas for business. Wife and I are early 30's with 2 kids (3 and 1). We really want a neighborhood close to outdoor amenities with lots of young families. Close proximity to downtown (less than 30 minutes) is a plus. Any thoughts on River Place? We drove through and really liked it but couldn't tell how family friendly it was, how many kids, etc. Country club seems like they have good family activities so we're looking into that.

Thanks in advance!
docb
AG
It's nice but traffic really kind of sucks out there IMO
evan_aggie
AG
My coworker lived in a nice house right off Big View drive and decided to move to Steiner Ranch so that his kiddos could interact with more kids their age.

I'm sure there are plenty of kids in River Place, but I thought that was interesting...

I used to drive down 360, 2222, Bullick Hollow, 2769, every....day....
tamc93
AG
30 minutes during rush hour will be tough, but that is typical for the area.

Taxes will be fun (Travis, LISD, Austin?, MUD ?), otherwise a decent area. Not much shopping, etc.

I would also look into Twin Creeks - at least you get out of Austin.

Steiner Ranch is another option, but you get hit with more traffic.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
evan_aggie
AG
If business is near by hopefully commute isn't as bad.

Curious where OP will need to work?
TPeezy
I work for myself but most of my meetings are near downtown or Mopac/183 area. The nice part is I can work my schedule to where I don't have to drive at the height of rush hour.
TPeezy
Thanks, I'll take all that into consideration. Wasn't aware that taxes were potentially higher in that area. Will also check out twin creeks
agmom95
AG
Traffic will be bad either way. I live in Steiner and run a preschool at 620 and Anderson Mill. If you are looking long-term, River Place kids go to Vandegrift High school, whereas Twin Creeks kids go to Cedar Park High school. Personally think that Vandegrift and it's feeder schools are a better option.

River Place has young kids, but is a smaller community than Steiner. River Place is also a bit more expensive so younger families are more likely to go to Steiner. We have a lot of preschool families from all if those areas though.
SpiderD02
AG
We are building next to River Place and currently live in Jester down 2222. I personally like the Four points area. It does get a fair amount of traffic at rush hour but if you can avoid those times it's not bad at all. Depending on where you live in Steiner it could take another 20-30 mins past River Place to get home. However they are working on the roads now and that might change. River Place does have a few parks that I take my kids to and there seems to be lots of families. I haven't looked recently but they were fully? annexed in to Austin beginning of last year not sure what this did to taxes.
TPeezy
Thanks, this is very helpful! My wife stays at home so it's important to have other moms and kids in the neighborhood around their age.
TPeezy
I have a fellow Ag friend that lives in Jester. They like the neighborhood a lot. If you don't mind me asking, where are y'all building that's close to River Place? Is it an area we should consider?
evan_aggie
AG
I don't want to add too much to your plate, but if you are unfamiliar with the area, it would be a mistake to not consider or be aware of neighborhoods in the southwest.

I have countless coworkers that live in Circle C and Avana + others. If you follow MoPac south, it'll eventually turn into 45 and then 1826. That place keeps growing more and more.

However, as another poster said: Vandegrift is really one of the better high schools. Many people want to live in Eanes as well for Westlake which is also top notch.

There are some areas of loop 360 between Mopac and 2244 that are very nice too. Still, I think Steiner is probably going to be one of your most tight-knit "stay at home spouse" communities in the entire area.

By the way: almost all of these areas are $400,000-$600,000...now.

AggiePeeps06
AG
Thanks. I'll check out more of the southwest areas too. We had considered Steiner and this might be silly, but I don't think I could stomach driving past the UT golf club every day haha
Aggietaco
AG
There are SAM's everywhere, you just have to find them to be social.

If your work is primarily at 183/MoPac, look at the Great Hills and Balcones Woods areas. Not quite the same suburban idea of a neighborhood as Twin Creeks, Steiner, or RP, but just as good of community and schools. I'm in Balcones Woods and it takes me 15 minutes to get South of the river leaving at 0630.
SpiderD02
AG
We are building in Glenlake estates. Not many lots left and few if any for sale. I really like Jester for a lot of reasons but it's too dense for my wants. I would prefer country living but wife works in town so it's our compromise to give me a little space but still he close for her.
TPeezy
That's a cool area. Right next to Emma Long. I assume that's a great park to take the family
rather be fishing
AG
Might want to check out this thread: Steiner Ranch swingers
Lynch
That's why you buy a home in Jester on acreage on the edge of the neighborhood in a cul de sac. Lots of land and can't see my neighbors!
Dr T and the Women
AG
My office is in River Place and we just built a home 5 minutes away. We lived behind Steiner but the traffic became impossible for my work.

Rp is a great community and the club is a social center
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Traffic is better than in Steiner. Golf course is lame. They turned #1 into a 5 iron off the tee and the tee boxes all have hanging lies.
rsemingson
We have lived in Riverplace since 1998 when we built. We are also members of the club and I golf on the most scenic course in Austin. Very kid friendly also. There are pros and cons living in most neighborhoods in Austin because of growth. I would be glad to give you any info about this area and I am not a realtor. Feel free to call. My mobile is 512-619-4461
Rick.
JT88
AG
Beautiful area. We lived there from 1997-2002.
Main issues were:
1. No grocery store (fixed now w HEB @ 4 points)
2. LISD at the time was not one of the stronger school districts - that has also been addressed (and then some) as VDG HS has a very strong rep.
3. 2222 sucks if you commute anywhere near peak time.

Also, at least when we were there, the HOA had a reputation (well-deserved in my opinion at the time) for being one of the most-intrusive, least-flexible HOA's in Austin.
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
AggiePeeps06
AG
TPeezy
Thanks all for the great feedback. We shifted our focus to SR since there was newer option in the same price range. Also, as some of you and our realtor mentioned, there are a ton of young families in SR. So, I figured the extra 5-10 minute commute would be worth it. We're also only renting, so worst case scenario, if the commute is an issue, we'll just move next year.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I have a 3 br house at the front of Steiner for rent soon.
Lake views from the deck upstairs.
2400/m if interested
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggiePeeps06
AG
Please text me with pictures or a link at 214 - six three two - 0934
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.