Austin
Sponsored by

Tell Me About Dripping Springs

4,142 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Turf96
WeekendAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The wife and I are planning for the future and want to get closer to Austin - but we aren't big city people.

However, we want to be able to go to town for date nights and take advantage of all the events/activities/opportunities places like Austin have to offer our kiddos.

Commuting would not be a concern for us. Ideally, we would like to purchase in a neighborhood with bigger lots and young families.

On paper, Dripping Springs seems right up our alley. Though not having spent any time there (both of us and our families have lived and worked almost exclusively in the Brazos Valley) and not knowing anyone who has, we do not have a good idea of what to expect.

I want to know the good, the bad, the ugly, and any opinions regarding any other Austin suburbs - specifically we would like to be West or North of Austin, according to my wife. =)

TIA

Edit: fat finger typos
fig96
AG
If you like drinking, move to Dripping Springs More breweries and distilleries than you can count.

Might consider Leander and Cedar Park as well, really great schools and a bit easier drive into town. We've been in CP for 3 years now and are very happy with the move, though we may eventually go closer to the city.
rather be fishing
AG
WeekendAggie said:

The wife and I are planning for the future and want to get closer to Austin - but we aren't big city people.

However, we want to be able to go to town for date nights and take advantage of all the events/activities/opportunities places like Austin have to offer our kiddos.

Commuting would not be a concern for us. Ideally, we would like to purchase in a neighborhood with bigger lots and young families.

On paper, Dripping Springs seems right up our alley. Though not having spent any time there (both of us and our families have lived and worked almost exclusively in the Brazos Valley) and not knowing anyone who has, we do not have a good idea of what to expect.

I want to know the good, the bad, the ugly, and any opinions regarding any other Austin suburbs - specifically we would like to be West or North of Austin, according to my wife. =)

TIA

Edit: fat finger typos
The fact that you have to drive through Oak Hill to get to Austin is a definite detractor. If you're not doing a daily commute, you would probably be ok with it when you need to get into town. Other big issue is that area is hot for the real estate market, so you're probably going to have to overpay for a house.

It's a nice area, but it's growing super fast. It's entirely possible you'll be wishing you were in Marble Falls or Wimberley in 5 years.
tamc93
AG
Be prepared for sticker shock, taxes, and high water bills.

Commute would be a concern for Dripping Springs and anything west (Bee Cave/Lakeway/Steiner etc). Cedar Park / Leander to the north and I would add Round Rock/Georgetown to the mix.

All have good to great school districts.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Potcake
AG
Wife and I lived in Wimberley, 15 miles from driveway to intersection in Drippin, from 2001-2012. We both worked in Austin so the daily commute finally pushed us into town. If you're not commuting then going in to Austin for events or a weekend day isn't unbearable. Both DS and Wimberley are still growing and both have a large younger family demographic, maybe less so for Wimberley. We do miss the scenery but I enjoy the 2 1/2 - 3 hrs a day I got back.
BrokeAssAggie
Dripping Springs is getting overtaken by California transplants.
Potcake
AG
And away we go ......
expresswrittenconsent
It's really nice. They got a new quiznos.
Drip99
AG
I live out here in the Drip. Its expensive and as an earlier poster said, I wish i lived in Marble Falls as the growth is too fast and its loaded with people and traffic now. If you don't have to commute i would look at the neighborhoods on the west side of town past RR12 or further out west.
Furlock Bones
AG
JesusQuintana said:

I live out here in the Drip. Its expensive and as an earlier poster said, I wish i lived in Marble Falls as the growth is too fast and its loaded with people and traffic now. If you don't have to commute i would look at the neighborhoods on the west side of town past RR12 or further out west.
my coworker lives in MF. 49.7 miles door to door one way.
HECUBUS
AG
Nice area, nice schools, has become expensive and crowded with traffic gridlock like everything else in the Austin area.
TyHolden
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

Austin is getting overtaken by East/West coast transplants.

fify
expresswrittenconsent
Why is it always that the "austin is getting too full of cali" complainers are always recent houston transplants?
BrokeAssAggie
expresswrittenconsent said:

Why is it always that the "austin is getting too full of cali" complainers are always recent houston transplants?

So you aren't denying the fact? Just that Houston transplants call it out?
expresswrittenconsent
CrazyRichAggie said:

I'm saying you should take your ass back to Houston, but in the mean time, if you want to pretend to look like a real austinite, try not to trot out cliches that actual austinites have been rolling their eyes at since the late 70s.
BrokeAssAggie

CrazyRichAggie said:

I'm saying you should take your ass back to Houston, but in the mean time, if you want to pretend to look like a real austinite, try not to trot out cliches that actual austinites have been rolling their eyes at since the late 70s.

Ok....

OP, asked about Dripping Springs. I didn't say anything about Austin, And he said "we aren't big city people." It's a known fact that people from California are moving to Dripping by the hundreds every year and bringing with them their California ideologies. I don't care if you have been an Austinite for 40 years or 4 years. I know several families that are 2nd and 3rd generation dripping residents and don't like the changes they are seeing.
expresswrittenconsent
CrazyRichAggie said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

Ok....

OP, asked about Dripping Springs. I didn't say anything about Austin, And he said "we aren't big city people." It's a known fact that people from California are moving to Dripping by the hundreds every year and bringing with them their California ideologies. I don't care if you have been an Austinite for 40 years or 4 years. I know several families that are 2nd and 3rd generation dripping residents and don't like the changes they are seeing.

Similarly, I didnt say anything to or about you, you chose to wade into a conversation with me on a discussion about "Austin". Welcome to the internet.
Harkrider 93
AG
Come to Suds Monkey tomorrow at 6:30 to watch the Aggie game with the DS Aggie Club! There is a play room for kids.

There is plenty to do around here, so no need to drive to Austin. The traffic isn't that bad. I do leave before 6:30 though. Folks in Driftwood take back roads. We rarely go into Austin now.

Hey Crazy Rich Aggie, please come to the game watch and buy me a beer!

There are a lot of transplants out here, but still a great place. My only complaint is there is so much money out here that you get the stereotype with it. Parents who flash money and helicopter their kids like crazy. Most of the teachers have it really bad out here. One elementary had five lawsuits last year.
Harkrider 93
AG
Who is you and introduce yourself to me and the wife tomorrow at Suds Monkey to watch the Aggie game and buy us drinks. You will like me a lot because I flirt with whoever buys me a drink.
rather be fishing
AG
Man...

My family moved from Kentucky to Bell County in the 1840s. I lived there until I went to A&M, then spent 1 year in Harris, followed by 2 years in Williamson, then 8 in Travis.

I hate to think what the new Austinites think of me (especially the WillCo ones).
BrokeAssAggie
Harkrider 93 said:

Who is you and introduce yourself to me and the wife tomorrow at Suds Monkey to watch the Aggie game and buy us drinks. You will like me a lot because I flirt with whoever buys me a drink.

I can't make it out tonight. Are you sure this is a game watching party and not a swingers party?
Complete Idiot
The "overrun by Californians" thing cracks me up. I haven't met anyone Who has moved here from California at work or through social events/kids . A dad on the baseball team is from Oregon but has been here 20 years.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/verify/verify-are-californians-really-invading-austin/269-a972ffc8-353d-49f7-865c-c95b32bc5ec6

So 6% from California to Austin, is dripping different ? Are tons of super liberal Cali city folk moving to red state Texas hill country? 6% from California, and last gubernatorial vote in Cali was won easily by democrats but still 40% voted republican. Californians aren't 100% democrats. Shocker.

It's like Jade Helm.
Turf96
Man are some of you dense. Doesn't matter if it is Houston or Cali. Bottom line is The Drip used to be common sense small town good old boys. Now New implants are coming in because they didn't like where they were and bringing in same policy. If you say DS is friendlier than it was 15-20 years ago you are full of it.

To answer Op it is a good town. School is good. Lots of places to eat. The town has grown way too fast. New folks want to change everything. It is going south from what it was but form somebody who has lived there and CP pick Dripping springs by a mile. Good luck. If you get lucky Cali and Houston will move back and your life would be real sweet. I love when Houston likes to puff chest out about being better than Cali. That is like comparing Houston and Dallas. Who cares both places suck. DS is so far ahead of both it isn't funny.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.