Austin
Sponsored by

Manchaca or Menchaca

3,467 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MaroonStain
Martin Cash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is no limit to the absolute stupidity and lunacy of the Austin City Council.

None.
MouthBQ98
AG
Do they know if it was named after an actual specific person or are they just associating it with someone with that name, then saying it is wrong because it doesn't match.
Martin Cash
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Do they know if it was named after an actual specific person or are they just associating it with someone with that name, then saying it is wrong because it doesn't match.
Allegedly, it was named after Jose Menchaca,a Tejano Army captain. It would be a heck of a lot easier to change the spelling on Jose's tombstone than to change the spelling of the road.
Furlock Bones
AG
Martin Cash said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Allegedly, it was named after Jose Menchaca,a Tejano Army captain. It would be a heck of a lot easier to change the spelling on Jose's tombstone than to change the spelling of the road.
if they want to "right wrongs", maybe stop saying Man Shack first.
BTHOB-98
That can spell it how ever they want. People who grew up in South Austin say Man Shack.
Martin Cash
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

That can spell it how ever they want. People who grew up in South Austin say Man Shack.
True, but changing the spelling will costs people and businesses hundreds of thousands of dollars, all in the name of political correctness.
Hanrahan
AG
Nothing could typify the lunacy if the shietbirds on council more than this. The entire lot of them are absolute lunatics it makes my blood boil.
expresswrittenconsent
Martin Cash said:

BTHOB-98 said:

True, but changing the spelling will costs people and businesses hundreds of thousands of dollars, all in the name of political correctness.

No it wont.
I dont really care about the street name either way but a 1 letter name change doesnt cost the local businesses on menchaca any money. They aren't forced to change anything. They wont stop getting mail. Customers wont suddenly be unable to find them.
There's the taxpayer cost of changing street signage (which may or may not be insignificant) but that is something cities do all the time with streets, schools, post offices to honor local war deaths, local musicians, etc.
Martin Cash
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Martin Cash said:

BTHOB-98 said:

No it wont.
I dont really care about the street name either way but a 1 letter name change doesnt cost the local businesses on menchaca any money. They aren't forced to change anything. They wont stop getting mail. Customers wont suddenly be unable to find them.
There's the taxpayer cost of changing street signage (which may or may not be insignificant) but that is something cities do all the time with streets, schools, post offices to honor local war deaths, local musicians, etc.
Letterheads, business cards, invoices, signs on vehicles are all free? Or a cheapskate like you would just leave it misspelled? Ask the businesses what it cost when the geniuses in Austin renamed 19th Street, or 1st Street, or 26th Street.
chaca5151
I'm all for the name change but that's only because my last name is Menchaca! True Story...
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
expresswrittenconsent
Business cards. What a dolt.
BiochemAg97
AG

Martin Cash said:

BTHOB-98 said:

No it wont.
When you type the now misspelled address into google maps, will it find what you are looking for?
How long will it take for google maps to recognize the new spelling? Takes 6-12 months to recognize a newly built road.
expresswrittenconsent
BiochemAg97 said:

Martin Cash said:

BTHOB-98 said:

No it wont.
When you type the now misspelled address into google maps, will it find what you are looking for?
How long will it take for google maps to recognize the new spelling? Takes 6-12 months to recognize a newly built road.

Oh boy, someone new to play with who is dumber than business cards guy. This troubling claim of your cannot be proven, can it?
Let's try your experiment, shall we chachi? I just entered the address for Menchaca Elementary School into google maps with both street address spellings and guess what, buddy, the miracles of technology prevailed. Whew, crisis averted.
BiochemAg97
AG

BiochemAg97 said:

Martin Cash said:

BTHOB-98 said:

No it wont.

Oh boy, someone new to play with who is dumber than business cards guy. This troubling claim of your cannot be proven, can it?
Let's try your experiment, shall we chachi? I just entered the address for Menchaca Elementary School into google maps with both street address spellings and guess what, buddy, the miracles of technology prevailed. Whew, crisis averted.
Wow kinda an ass aren't you. I just asked a couple questions. No troubling claims.

As for the statement about new roads, they built one near my house and it took months for google maps to add it. Obviously, changing names is easier for google than to identify new roads from sat images.
rsemingson
Also, south of Manshack is the town of Buda, pronounced Bewda with the locals. Then there's Manor, prounced Maenor and finally Elgin, not Elghin both on 290 E.. good luck.
evan_aggie
AG
I appreciate your activity in the forums and find myself agreeing with you and disagreeing with you from time to time.

But you are one of the biggest internet priks on these forums when making a point and it piques my curiosity as to how you are in real life. I keep thinking, "this guy can't be such an a-hole face to face, right? No one is this outwardly smarmy." Or maybe he has a spectrum disorder and I shouldn't pass internet judgement.
wargograw
Maybe we can find that Mr. Menchaca owned slaves.
expresswrittenconsent
Gosh evan, and all this time I thought we were friends. Maybe we can discuss it on Sunday. Will you be at church?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I don't know a single person who pronounces it Manshack so I don't know what you all are babbling about. Manchack on the other hand is widely used.

And there are costs to businesses that will want to update their name, signs, advertising, etc. To say there won't be any costs is short sided.

Any people who might have an address of Manchaca it will also be a pain in the ass for them. Not earth shattering but changing you're address on all your IDs and accounts is annoying as hell. Especially if the change is forced on you and you didn't move voluntarily.
D_Wag97
AG
I grew up in South Austin, and it's always been Manshack. Maybe the people you know aren't from there, either.
Martin Cash
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

I don't know a single person who pronounces it Manshack so I don't know what you all are babbling about. Manchack on the other hand is widely used.

And there are costs to businesses that will want to update their name, signs, advertising, etc. To say there won't be any costs is short sided.

Any people who might have an address of Manchaca it will also be a pain in the ass for them. Not earth shattering but changing you're address on all your IDs and accounts is annoying as hell. Especially if the change is forced on you and you didn't move voluntarily.
Lived in Austin area for 66 years. Never heard it pronounced any way other than Manshack.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Born and raised in south Austin as well. Went to Menchaca elementary back when it still pulled from Shady Hollow. Grew up playing baseball at the Manchaca ball fields. Also had an actual Manchaca street address for a few years after college. Polled a few friends.

2 - Manshack
5 - Manchack

No way anybody could be from here and not heard it both ways.
ATX_AG_08
AG
MaroonStain
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Martin Cash said:

MouthBQ98 said:

if they want to "right wrongs", maybe stop saying Man Shack first.

Times 40...
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.