Austin
Sponsored by

Best breakfast tacos in town?

12,622 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wargograw
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BBQ is discussed frequently around here, but what about breakfast tacos?

I submit for consideration: Taco Mex on Manor Road. Breakfast tacos are served all day. It's just a little window, you get your tacos and go. Nowhere to eat there. $2 each, extra 25 cents each to add cheese.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Potcake
AG
La Cocina de Consuelo on Burnet Rd. (Next to Upper Crust). The flour tortilla is awesome. These are larger than a taco but smaller than a burrito. My favorite combo is egg, black bean, and avocado.

Dan's has a pretty serviceable taco too.
HTownAg98
Taco More has to be on that list.
We got some from a client yesterday. I'm trying to find out where they came from, because they were awesome.
docb
AG
I think Rudy's chopped brisket and egg is hard to beat.
rather be fishing
AG
Brazas on Airport just east of Lamar has been my go-to taco place lately.
expresswrittenconsent
Bacon/egg/cheese (gringo) taco at el chilito is fantastic. Lots of bacon. Avail all day.

Bean, cheese, and bacon at taco deli is my personal fave but they close super early and stop breakfast pretty early, and that feels more boutique than traditional.
512Ag
AG
Potcake said:

La Cocina de Consuelo on Burnet Rd. (Next to Upper Crust). The flour tortilla is awesome. These are larger than a taco but smaller than a burrito. My favorite combo is egg, black bean, and avocado.

I've been meaning to try La Cocina de Consuelo for a long while. Time to make the trip.

My favorite old reliable joint is Taco Deli. Pretty much anything on the menu works all the time at every location. I've always liked El Chilito, too. Was really bummed when the Brentwood location shut down. I'd eat that conchinita pibil every day if I could.
rather be fishing
AG
Consuelo is very good for dinner, haven't been for the breakfast tacos.

El Tacorrido is another place I forgot about. It's good, and cheap. Glad they opened a north location.
Potcake
AG
She isn't open in the evenings anymore, starting a couple of months ago. It was nice because it's BYOB and we'd get a bottle of wine and take it for dinner. The green sauce is fantastic also.
500,000ags
AG
Anyone got the insight on a good barbacoa taco? I'm talking beef cheek, not some lame chuck roast version.
rather be fishing
AG
500,000ags said:

Anyone got the insight on a good barbacoa taco? I'm talking beef cheek, not some lame chuck roast version.
El Tacorrido or Taco Flats if you want a sit down place.

Also this place: https://www.yelp.com/biz/texican-tacos-austin

That's unfortunate about Consuela.
expresswrittenconsent
Betos on e 7th has a decent barbacoa taco.
Mookie
AG
Kens tacos on rundberg and dessau
stamper
AG
Tyson's on airport deserves a mention on this thread. Also Valentina's if you want to go hog wild
Laser Wolf
The migas breakfast taco at Veracruz All Natural.
TRUMP 2020! KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
CNN is very fake news.
I Stand with Sul Ross.
#NotAnotherDime
BLM is a lie.
Ferg
If you are really really hungry go to Juan in a Million!

https://juaninamillion.com/
expresswrittenconsent
Ferg said:

If you are really really hungry go to Juan in a Million!

https://juaninamillion.com/

If you want a plate of scrambled eggs sitting on top of an open face tortilla.
Ferg
Yes, you do need to order more tortillas separately, but it is a feast.
Hudson2508
AG
Veracruz Tacos is the only place in town that compares to San Antonio tacos. Mainly bc they know how to make tortillas. Tacodeli is great for what it is, but their tortillas suck. The Otto is wonderful.

I can't find anyone in town who makes SA level barbacoa or lengua.
Ferg
Hudson2508 said:

Veracruz Tacos is the only place in town that compares to San Antonio tacos. Mainly bc they know how to make tortillas. Tacodeli is great for what it is, but their tortillas suck. The Otto is wonderful.

I can't find anyone in town who makes SA level barbacoa or lengua.
https://juarezrestaurantandbakery.com/menu

We buy Barbacoa in this place. They sell it by the pound. Its really good.
expresswrittenconsent
Juarez is good.
evan_aggie
AG
Potcake said:

I live less than a mile away (0.6 apparently) and had no idea! Pass by constantly and never took notice. Will have to try now!
500,000ags
AG
I'll try Beto's for sure.

I ate at Las Trancas last night. It was really good.
Hudson2508
AG
That place looks promising. Unfortunately it's really far away from me.
fig96
AG
Laser Wolf said:

The migas breakfast taco at Veracruz All Natural.
My fave is the Tradicional, but agreed that Verzcruz is the bomb. And the North Austin location at 183 and Burnet has awesome coffee (Machine Head) in the same space.
fig96
AG
rather be fishing said:

500,000ags said:

El Tacorrido or Taco Flats if you want a sit down place.

Also this place: https://www.yelp.com/biz/texican-tacos-austin

That's unfortunate about Consuela.
I've been to Taco Flats once with high expectations and was kind of underwhelmed, went for dinner though. The new one in Clarksville is really close to my office, will give that a try when they open up.
JCRiley09
AG
Real deal Holyfield at valentinas

La Flor on S 1st has some dang good tacos too
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
I want to throw a little snobbery in and say that anywhere who serves breakfast tacos with those rubbery store bought flour tortillas needs to gtfo of here with that garbage. looking at you rudys and torchys
BrokeAssAggie
JCRiley09 said:

Real deal Holyfield at valentinas

La Flor on S 1st has some dang good tacos too
Real Deal Holyfield (with brisket) is out of this world.
Federale01
AG
I always liked Mi Madres on Manor. Didn't really like them for anything other than breakfast tacos though.
HECUBUS
AG
My house. Fresh home grown chili tepin with chili tepin salsa and crushed dried chili tepin. Tortillas, bacon/sausage, eggs, and hash browns thrown in for texture. Outside of that and puny Austin breakfast tacos, Snooze from Houston (now in Austin) has a pretty good breakfast taco, but fails on the spice. I carry fresh and dried chilis, so three or four dried on top and a fresh chili before each bite saves the day.
expresswrittenconsent
HECUBUS said:

My house. Fresh home grown chili tepin with chili tepin salsa and crushed dried chili tepin. Tortillas, bacon/sausage, eggs, and hash browns thrown in for texture. Outside of that and puny Austin breakfast tacos, Snooze from Houston (now in Austin) has a pretty good breakfast taco, but fails on the spice. I carry fresh and dried chilis, so three or four dried on top and a fresh chili before each bite saves the day.

I dont believe you. Mainly because you think a Denver breakfast diner labeled by you as being "from Houston" is the best place in Austin to get breakfast tacos, but also because your post mentions the 'chili tepin' 7 times. Kind of a bubba gump 'I sure like shrimp' situation.
fig96
AG
The first Snooze also opened in Austin like 3 years ago.
HECUBUS
AG

I do have a chili tepin problem.
HECUBUS
AG
The Bubba Gump high tech chili transport.

Don't leave home without it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.