Austin
Sponsored by

Kayaking with Kids in Austin... Questions

1,695 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bitter Old Man
RXAggie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy guys!
We are leaving tonight to head to Austin to kayak and paddle board. I had full intentions on renting at the Rowing Dock on lady bird lake and spending most of our time there. I just read about the bacteria issue and was concerned about letting my kids kayak and paddle board in this water. Where are some other great alternatives that have rentals of kayaks and SUPs with the luxury of lots of tree lined shores( to ensure we could get a reprieve from the sun occasionally).

OR

Is my concern unwarranted? I know I see a ton of people on town lake all the time but was just concerned bc Im taking my kiddos. Also I know its illegal to swim, but to beat the heat you like to jump in and cool off periodically, again is this safe?
rather be fishing
AG
I think the biggest concern is in the north and south ends of the lake where there's more stagnation, and the dogs that have died presumably ingested a bunch of water/algae. Most important thing is don't swallow lake water.

San Marcos or Gruene might be better options if you're willing to change things up. Might also be something on Lake Travis.
Potcake
AG
Also, there was/is a lot of floating mats of algae where the dogs got sick. If the water is still, stagnant, and covered with algae it only makes sense not to recreate there.
expresswrittenconsent
Dont go in that water. If you know someone who has been in the water on town lake they 100% have moved to Austin within the last decade.
Potcake
AG
Redbud Isle closed
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/red-bud-isle-closed-due-to-concerns-of-potentially-toxic-algae/
BiochemAg97
AG
Daughter did kayak/canoe on San Marcos River recently. I've only been tubing on that one, but it is pretty nice. You can rent tubes from the lions club, but may have to bring your own canoe/kayak/etc.

I'll also second the Guad in Gruene. A couple of rental places for canoes, tubes and such. We used Gruene River Company as they were less age restrictive when I took my daughter years ago.
WestAustinAg
AG
Go instead to the low river crossing near Mansfield dam. It is prettier and the water is cooler and has no algae. You can go for miles to the south.
Bitter Old Man
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Dont go in that water. If you know someone who has been in the water on town lake they 100% have moved to Austin within the last decade.
This.... I can't believe people swim in that. The entire city storm sewer system drains into that body of water, literally every single thing dropped on the ground ends up in there.... Growing up we never even considered swimming in that lake.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
only place to go swimming in Town Lake is go up the Barton Creek arm at the outfall of Barton Springs. Crisp, cool and clear. But then you have to watch the hippies and 'urban outdoorsmen' along with Mr. Affliction and backwards hat beat the crap out of his dog.
My vote for best water in the area continues to be the San Marcos river
Btron
AG
So 1 Million bats pooping into town lake creates bacteria? Good to know
Bitter Old Man
AG
Btron said:

So 1 Million bats pooping into town lake creates bacteria? Good to know
Dont forget about the few thousand homeless people pooping in the streets...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.