Austin
Sponsored by

Texas Native Peppers

3,911 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HECUBUS
HECUBUS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

These grow wild, all over Austin. They are starting to turn red at a pretty good rate and they make chili's through February. 50,000 - 100,000 on the Scoville scale and very tasty. One of the cool things about living in this area.

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/texas/state-food-agriculture-symbol/chiltepin
Rongagin71
AG
Those are chile petines, chile pequins are longer and more pointed.
Both are common in Texas.
Both are too hot for me but I will put some in my vinegar jar to marinate,
and then use the spicy vinegar on greens.
CrawfordAg
AG
I dry all the ones I can't eat late in the fall allowing me to plant new the following Spring and the dried flakes are awesome for pizza, chili,etc...
HECUBUS
AG
We have the same problem, put 'em on everything.
Eldorado Ag
AG
We pick them in the fall, let them dry either naturally or very low and slow in the oven. Then we grind them with a herb/pepper/coffee grinder and mix them 50/50 with sea salt and give the mixture away to friends in salt shakers. Everyone who receives this is excited and uses them on popcorn, pizza, snacks, steaks, heck, you name it. Nice native Texas gift.
Charpie
AG
Growing up, we had a chilie pequin bush growing outside our front door. It feels like once a summer, I'd forget that those things were actual chilies. I'd grab one, then rub my eyes
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
We had one when I was a kid as well. Nothing like peeing after you've touched one of those bad mofos...
Motot
AG
Where are you finding these wild in Austin? I grow them in my yard, but haven't ever seen/noticed the wild in Austin.

HECUBUS
AG
"Most authorities believe the chiltepin was the original wild chile the plant from which all others have evolved. It's also the only wild chile native to the United States. Originating in southern Brazil or Bolivia, chiltepins migrated up through Central America and Mexico into the American Southwest. Dissemination is attributed to the wild birds that find these scarlet berries an irresistible snack. Because the seeds survive passage through the birds' digestive tracts, chiltepins are often found growing along fences and under trees where birds nest and roost. That's why they're commonly known as "bird peppers" to English speakers of the Southwest."

-Austin Chronicle

We find them on the West edge of the forest in the hills.

Just found some on a walk within the shrubs of a highly landscaped office park.

I think this will fill the jar.

So, pretty much anywhere a bird goes, you can find them. Four out of five shrubs we've found at or within half a mile of the house are under a tree or partially shaded. They are all in areas of heavy mulch.

Three months into the growing season. We're chili rich!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.