Austin
Sponsored by

Round Rock to South Austin commute

5,811 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
BigBurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently live in RR/PF area and work in the domain so my commute is only about 15 minutes.

There are some job openings in South Austin and out towards Lakeway that I am interested in but the commute concerns me.

Anyone already doing this type of commute?

How manageable is it 5 days a week?
evan_aggie
AG
You would hate your life.

Look at google maps history of commute each day at the times you think you'll commute. They'll have it available.

KT 90
AG
It would suck. But if the money is better... have to consider it. Only way to do it would be to get up early and leave by 6:30ish, or sooner, to beat some of the buildup.

aggiegori
AG
Sucks. My wife did that drive for 1.5 years and now we live downtown. If you don't mind paying the increase pay in tolls then it a worth it. Gotta do what's right for you though.
evan_aggie
AG
Everyone has a different value of their time, but think about spending, at a minimum, 90 minutes a day in your car going back and forth. And in all likelihood, It'd probably be closer to 1hr45.

I lived in Cedar Park in 2009, and the drive was 30...to 35 minutes each way. After a few years it became 40-45 and then some afternoons an hour.

Now I live in central Austin, and am so glad.
Potcake
AG
Just my two cents, I agree with evan. Quality of life can outweigh higher income, to a point obviously. I commuted 3 hours a day from Wimberley to North Austin for 11 years. It sucked. Hard.
who?mikejones
AG
I live in round rock and drive south every day. if i had a particular destination i would be miserable unless I left the house at 6. Mopac south backs all the way up to shoreline during the school year. Just getting to the toll lane takes 20-30 mins and there is never a guarantee the toll lane will move much quicker.

I dont so 620 too much but will soon. I hear it's worse than mopac.

I have had cap of texas hgwy take over an hour and a half to get from mopac north to mopac south
Mookie
AG
I live by round rock HS and commute to the 360 bridge. 620 is hell during the school year as is 360 past Austin country club. I wouldn't live any further out than I do and I wouldn't work past where I do. It is 50-60 mins each way during peak traffic.
jopatura
AG
Depending where exactly you live, 130 might be a better option for getting down south but it's still going to be pretty miserable. There is no easy way to get out to Lakeway. 620 & 2222 is a solid half hour commute from RR/PF (what my husband does) and that's only halfway there. It's only to get worse.

I would move for a Lakeway job, suck it up for a South Austin job if you can leave early enough.
fig96
AG
I do Cedar Park to the edge of downtown (W 6th) and it's honestly not that bad, on average 35-40 minutes in the morning and 45 to an hour in the evening. Compared to my Houston commutes I find Austin a lot more tolerable, but to each their own.

Agreed on moving for a Lakeway job.
evan_aggie
AG
I lived near Cedar Park High School. It was 21 miles to the river, and would take 30-35 minutes if I left at 6am.
Bob_Ag
AG
I live in RR and for work the other day I drove to Buda, then south Austin (near Slaughter and 1st), then up to Manor. Traffic is getting bad everywhere, but driving north to south in this city is a real beating at times. Especially now with the toll road construction. I would do it if the job is better, but I would plan on moving south at some point. Lots of cool places to live that way
SteveBott
AG
I worked off Ben White for a year and it was pretty brutal. I live right off the 45 and would use 130 to work and free roads home. I don't miss the commute one bit. Bad weather or a wreck on 35 and you want to get a hotel room
tailgatetimer10
AG
I commute North to south.

To hedge my commute I come down early and go to the gym. The drive home varies however
Furlock Bones
AG
OP, if there is a job that you want out near Lakeway, why wouldn't you just move out that way?
BigBurd
AG
I likely would if it was a really good opportunity.

Based on everyone's feedback I think I would want to commute first to make sure that a potential job is worth it before I uproot the family and sell the current house. The commute seems manageable but after a trial period I think moving would make the most sense.

I've only had one interview for a job in Lakeway and I'm pretty sure at least part of the reason I was passed over for it is because I said I would want to commute.
rather be fishing
AG
3 ways to have a terrible commute in Austin:
1. crossing the river
2. 35 between Oltorf and Airport
3. Loop 360
johnson2012
AG
This is correct. Add 183 in NW to that when they start construction in the next year or two.

I live NW and work just south of the river. 30-40 in the morning and 45-hour in the afternoon. Bit longer when school is back in.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Yep. The expanded lane toll road created another bottleneck, with the left lane waiting to merge at the toll.

The commute is now the same time with the toll, maybe longer.

Taking the toll will save at most 15 minutes, for a low cost of $10
wargograw
I drive from Wells Branch/Dessau (south Pflugerville) to Ben White/Montopolis. If I can leave by 6:45 I'll take 35. If not, I take 130. Either way, I get there in about 35 minutes. Round Rock would be pushing it for me personally, though.

FYI, it took me longer to get to my current job when I was living in Buda, even though it was 2/3 the distance. I definitely think traffic moves faster going south.
BenFiasco14
AG
One of my coworkers drives into downtown Austin from Marble Falls every day. Another from Wimberly. I don't know how they do it, but it doesn't seem to bother them (or if it does, they don't show it at work).

ETA - at my old job, our boss drove in from SAN ANTONIO five days a friggin week
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
MaroonStain
AG
KT 90 said:

It would suck. But if the money is better... have to consider it. Only way to do it would be to get up early and leave by 6:30ish, or sooner, to beat some of the buildup.

Expect your departure time to be 530-545AM.

I live in the "Mueller area" and work in Bee Cave. Traffic starts at 630AM.

Edit: forgot my arrival time is 630AM...lolz...
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Charpie
AG
God bless to those who drive more than 30 minutes.
Aggieangler93
AG
Charpie said:

God bless to those who drive more than 30 minutes.
I can't think of anything much closer to hell....traffic has gotten worse here my whole life!!!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
shertown04
AG
I lived in Buda and drove to Oak Hill for 10 years. It gradually got worse and worse especially after they started all of the construction on the bridges and intersections on 35 or when it rained. I started working in far NE Austin in 2017 so I moved to a new house up here with a <10 minute commute. It has been with every penny. I recently got married though and my wife works in Lakeway. She goes 290 183 360 2222 620. Luckily She started a new position last year and only has to go to the office 3 days a week and can flex her hours to 7-330. She leaves here 6:15 and takes 45 minutes most days. Her drive home is usually closer to an hour though. God bless her. She signed a one year contract in exchange for a raise but she will look for a new job next year closer to home because this is wearing her down.
TPS_Report
AG
My commute is 7 minutes... 8 if the light is red when I get to that intersection. That's almost 20 minutes of my life every day!!!!
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
as all have said, it sucks. The worst part is, the traffic will only get worse.
WestAustinAg
AG
if you find a great job...you can move to Cedar Park. To me it is a better version of RR and especially PF.
expresswrittenconsent
WestAustinAg said:

Cedar Park. To me it is a better version of RR and especially PF.

The white part at the top of a pile of bird poop is still poop.
fig96
AG
WestAustinAg said:

if you find a great job...you can move to Cedar Park. To me it is a better version of RR and especially PF.
We bought in CP about 2 1/2 years ago and I've been pleasantly surprised.

It's still suburby, but there's a few good restaurants, some decent BBQ, a great coffee shop, enough to do close by, and only 15-20 minutes into town on the weekends.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

I commuted 3 hours a day from Wimberley to North Austin for 11 years.

Dude.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.