Austin
Sponsored by

Dripping Springs/Driftwood

4,477 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Billy Foster
Texanick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are making the move to Austin soon and wanted to get some feedback on Dripping Springs/Driftwood. What is the consensus (if any) on Highpointe, Belterra, Rim Rock or other neighborhoods in the area? I am in sales so will be all over Austin metro so I'm not concerned about commuting because every day could be different.

Also, who are the good builders in Austin or more importantly who's should be avoided?
Bob_Ag
AG
Texanick said:

We are making the move to Austin soon and wanted to get some feedback on Dripping Springs/Driftwood. What is the consensus (if any) on Highpointe, Belterra, Rim Rock or other neighborhoods in the area? I am in sales so will be all over Austin metro so I'm not concerned about commuting because every day could be different.

Also, who are the good builders in Austin or more importantly who's should be avoided?
It's a nice area with a lot of development going on, commercial and residential. Commuting during peak times is not fun, so it's good if you have flexibility. I also drive all over the metro and I live practically in Georgetown, which is the extreme other end of that area.

I'm not familiar with all of the neighborhoods on that side of town, but I know Belterra is nice with good builder's and I was in Driftwood last week looking at a home on a bit of acreage (Rutherford West, which is right next to Rim Rock). There are other neighborhoods off 71 near the Lakeway area that are similar to Belterra (Sweetwater).

As for good builders, and assuming we are not talking about full custom homes, I like Wilshire/Coventry (both build in these neighborhoods), Gehan, Perry, M/I, and there are others. Personally, I'm partial to Gehan and Wilshire/Coventry (both owned by MHI) and you can't go wrong with them. Coventry has some nice spec homes in Rim Rock, Rutherford West, and Belterra right now if you look on their website. However, there are a ton of builders in Austin right now and many of them have different tiers of quality and branding.

Others can probably chime with more specifics about the neighborhoods and amenities. Let me know if you have any other questions.
tamc93
AG
I do not know much about the individual neighborhoods, but check the utility rates in each (especially water/propane). There were issues a couple of years ago that caused sticker shock.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Texanick
AG
Does anyone know anything about Sawyer Ranch across from Belterra?
Bob_Ag
AG
Looks like standard acreage lots (~1) and wooded, all seem to be on septic, city water, all electric unless you do propane. The new construction Weekley homes do say natural gas available. Hays county, tax rate in the low 2's (Nice!), Dripping Springs ISD (also nice). HOA $93/month.

It's a nice area for sure and a lot to do all within an hour of you. Are you looking at resale or new construction, or build on your lot?

Right next to it (west side) is Sunset Valley, but voluntary HOA. Mostly custom homes as well on a little larger lots 1.6 ac. Similar price range.

SteveBott
AG
Either area you pretty much have only one option to drive into Austin. 290 at Oak Hill is a bit@h most times.

You need to verify utilities options as said and taxes and homeowners dues. They can very wildly out there. MUD taxes can really drive your living costs
Furlock Bones
AG
where will you be working?
Texanick
AG
I am in sales so I travel everywhere from San Marcos to Waco, but primarily in Austin metro. We have branches all over town, but main branches in S. Austin, RR, and Domain area. I normally will be leaving the house by 6:30 at the latest. I've heard the Y is bad, but that before 7 it isn't that horrible. Afternoons I've heard can be brutal.

Thanks for y'all input.
OregonAggie
AG
I'm in sales and cover all over South Texas. I cover from Waco to Midland to the Valley to Houston and live in Drip. I agree that the Y isn't bad when you leave by 6:30 and it sucks in the afternoon. I've found that convict hill Road is a life saver I'm the mornings and afternoons but more of a help in the afternoons.

If that's your schedule then you won't have a problem.
TXRunner97
AG
We live in Belterra and love it.
Our house was built by David Weekley and was a struggle at some points during construction.
Most of the neighborhood has propane heat that can be very expensive.
Our house is plumbed for propane but our heating is all electric and is much more affordable in the cold months.
Dripping Springs ISD is fantastic but it is expensive on your property taxes.
We moved there for the schools and don't regret one thing about our choice in Belterra.
There are lots of great options in the area.
Bob_Ag
AG
Texanick said:

I am in sales so I travel everywhere from San Marcos to Waco, but primarily in Austin metro. We have branches all over town, but main branches in S. Austin, RR, and Domain area. I normally will be leaving the house by 6:30 at the latest. I've heard the Y is bad, but that before 7 it isn't that horrible. Afternoons I've heard can be brutal.

Thanks for y'all input.
They did just open the extended portion of the TX-45 toll road south of Mopac which can take you south and avoid the 290/I35 interchange.Going north, if you're leaving at 6:30am, it's not too bad getting to Mopac to go northbound.
Sb1540
Texanick said:

Does anyone know anything about Sawyer Ranch across from Belterra?

Sawyer Ranch is great. There's also a new extension of Sawyer Ranch that has David Weekly Homes. I personally don't think you can beat the Driftwood/Dripping area. Traffic sucks going into Austin but if you are looking for that hill country feel then that is the area to be. Lots of great subdivisions out there. Caliterra is nice and has Onion Creek flowing through it. If you need an Aggie realtor then hit up my dad. He lives in Belterra and works with all of the on-sites in that area. A.J. 512-217-7825
Harkrider 93
AG
Pretty sure Sawyer Ranch has a low tax property tax rate vs others. Make sure you look at property tax records on Hays County Tax Appraisal site to make sure you pay the lower 2% ish rates vs the neighborhoods that are around 3%ish.

I leave by 6:30am from closer into DS than Sawyer and travel into S Austin. Occasionally, I head downtown. Traffic is light. At 6:45, it is a bit heavier, especially when school is in session.

On the way home, I dodge the Y by taking Convict Hill.

It takes about 22-25mins each way. The only strange thing I have noticed is more traffic on 290 coming home at 3pm on a Friday than 5pm any other day.
Billy Foster
AG
Starting to really consider this area as my job will eventually have me covering Austin and SA. Good info. Thanks for sharing. We drove it a few weeks ago. Things have really changed out there since we used to hunt in DS back in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.