Austin
Sponsored by

What do you do for work/living?

8,161 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
AggieZoom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggietaco said:

Well, construction is a butt whoop, and the way things are evolving aren't making it any easier. If you're excited about building things, you just need to find the right company for you and hope they appreciate your work. There's a pretty good market in Austin for architectural photography if you're looking to combine the two, but there are several well established "brand names" in town that are go-tos. There's also the VDC side of things if you enjoy construction and have a strong computer background.
yea i thought about combining the two, however you're right. I just have to build relationships/network more and more but it doesn't help that i meet more and more "developers" from California and I have personal grudge against them moving here.

But once I get over that I feel it'll be easier lol

and by VDC, you mean BIM and such? I've messed with those types of programs and they're awesome.
AggieZoom
AG
Complaint Investigator said:

AggieZoom said:

How old are you? The Guard has engineers here in Austin that drill at the reserve center near the airport. You could always go reserve and do the civil affairs thing - something I had always considered doing should I ever not want to fly.
i'm 27.There's an age limit to joining?
Yes, but you aren't anywhere near it. If you want more info, let me know. I keep forgetting to check posts I respond to. The engineers generally get the opportunity to go to the sapper course and blow sh** up. It is far from a cakewalk, though.
yeah email me, i'm curious

mann.bara.50 at g mail
PabloSerna
AG
Architect.. love it!
Mookie
AG
MPython43 said:

Started this right after graduation in 2006 and still having fun every day.

I'm here at BCC im sure you are. My kids swim for the stingrays.
MPython43
Yessir! Headed to my tent now if you're still around. Wearing a red long sleeve shirt.
BenFiasco14
AG
AggieZoom said:

Federale01 said:

So you are trying to get inspiration from what other people do? No offense, but how is that going to help you? People work jobs and get paid for different lengths of time. The answer isn't in what other people do, it's in what you want to do.
its not, but it gives me insight on what others do for a living.
There are days when I will take a personal day and just hangout and do my photography around town. Be it, a random Tuesday (or any weekday) and i see people out and about. So it just hits me like, what the hell do these people do that can afford to live here when I barely get time to myself.

So this post is more for me to see other people's perspectives, like you said what jobs they do and lengths of time,etc.
As Potcake mentioned, he switched careers at 30. so that in itself is somewhat reassuring. But i know time is winding down and I'm not getting any younger.

But you're right. its what i want to do but that sadly won't pay the bills lol
Kinda mind boggling isn't it? Who are these people?

Well they're a large combination of things...

People like you who took a day off. People who work nights from bartenders to retail to nurses to first responder types. Anything. People with a rich spouse, or just inherited a ton of money and don't have to work. People who are just temporarily away from the office. People on vacation.

Students.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Mookie
AG
Saw this too late! I was in a tie dye shirt and a Texas Aggies hat. Sorry I missed you.
AggieZoom
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Kinda mind boggling isn't it? Who are these people?

Well they're a large combination of things...

People like you who took a day off. People who work nights from bartenders to retail to nurses to first responder types. Anything. People with a rich spouse, or just inherited a ton of money and don't have to work. People who are just temporarily away from the office. People on vacation.

Students.
yeah that's what i thought so too. esp since Austin has so many restaurants/service industry they have those random work days/schedules.

still.. just makes me wonder... like damn, i dont know ANY of yall from HS or childhood. and I've been around the city (well South/East Austin) all my life aside from College.
selk
AG
Anyone here self employed or doesn't have a group option for health insurance I'm your guy! Health insurance agent for individuals and families, mainly self employed small businesses, underwritten nationwide PPO plans
evan_aggie
AG
No techies!?

Semiconductor industry here.
MouthBQ98
AG
Telecom network engineer. Also did some time managing warehouses for offshore oil rigs.
Professional Aggie
AG
Techie here. Worked in semis for a while, now in software test automation.
fig96
AG
evan_aggie said:

No techies!?

What industry do you think UX works in?
evan_aggie
AG
Hm, user interface design, chi graphics/design for software gui to the user, etc?
fig96
AG
On the project architecture side as well, but definitely tech.
Complaint Investigator
AG
evan_aggie said:

No techies!?

Same here semiconductors.

For the record OP - you should keep appointments you make with people who are willing to take the time out of their day to speak with you - especially when you expressed interest in their employment. That, or politely say you changed your mind.

I've got a busy schedule, and set aside that time to talk with you. You didn't call, and didn't cancel. If you want the help, be more professional. Feel free to call a recruiter if you are still interested in knowing more about being a reservist.
Potcake
AG
BenFiasco14
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Sales for an HVAC company. It's a great time to be in AC. I pray for global warming.
HVAC you say? EcoZapp sock?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Charpie
AG
Damn. That's awful.

You are giving great advice. If you can't make a meeting, you need to tell people..even if its at the last minute. People's time is EXPENSIVE. Don't waste it.
AggieZoom
AG

For the record OP - you should keep appointments you make with people who are willing to take the time out of their day to speak with you - especially when you expressed interest in their employment. That, or politely say you changed your mind.

I've got a busy schedule, and set aside that time to talk with you. You didn't call, and didn't cancel. If you want the help, be more professional. Feel free to call a recruiter if you are still interested in knowing more about being a reservist.
that is TOTALLY on me... i misread the initial text message.
i drive to and from Austin to SA everyday for work, which is why i didn't skip a beat/forgot you (when i was supposed to the one to call you) were going to call me.

Again i am sorry about that and i really do appreciate the help you tried to give me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Sales for an HVAC company. It's a great time to be in AC. I pray for global warming.
HVAC you say? EcoZapp sock?

All my socks have been immediately banned. Which sucks, because I thought ThisGuy****es was a great name.
AustinScubaAg
AG

evan_aggie said:

No techies!?

ME85
AG
AggieZoom said:

Federale01 said:

So you are trying to get inspiration from what other people do? No offense, but how is that going to help you? People work jobs and get paid for different lengths of time. The answer isn't in what other people do, it's in what you want to do.
its not, but it gives me insight on what others do for a living.
There are days when I will take a personal day and just hangout and do my photography around town. Be it, a random Tuesday (or any weekday) and i see people out and about. So it just hits me like, what the hell do these people do that can afford to live here when I barely get time to myself.

So this post is more for me to see other people's perspectives, like you said what jobs they do and lengths of time,etc.
As Potcake mentioned, he switched careers at 30. so that in itself is somewhat reassuring. But i know time is winding down and I'm not getting any younger.

But you're right. its what i want to do but that sadly won't pay the bills lol

Got bachelors in CE. Worked in consultancy and then in project management. Wasn't satisfied with either. Against the odds, I did my masters in my mid 30s while working. Changed careers at 38 to do predictive analytics. Best decision ever made for my career. Round peg in a round hole. If your peg doesn't fit, never give up.
dmart90
AG
Director of Product Management - Security software
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
CapCity12thMan
AG
"I sell propane and propane related accessories"
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.