Austin
Sponsored by

What do you do for work/living?

8,158 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
AggieZoom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So... I'm kinda in a quarter life crisis. Graduated 4 years ago, still with my first employer, yet I am always wondering, what do other people do?
Being born and raised here I always knew there was a lot of cool thing to get into, albeit the money might not always be great in those jobs that look awesome, but from the outside looking in, it seems that life is much less stressful and enjoyable for those people.

So just drop a comment on what you do for a living and how long? I am really curious.

thanks and gig em!
AggieZoom
AG
forgot to post mine,
I'm a Project Engineer for a construction company in the Heavy-Civil side.
Aggietaco
AG
AggieZoom said:

forgot to post mine,
I'm a Project Engineer for a construction company in the Heavy-Civil side.
Ha!

The stress only gets worse. But we make up for it with a poor work/family balance.
BenFiasco14
AG
Instagram model / Austin & travel blogger.

If you're in the market for teeth whiteners or knock-off workout clothing let me know. Use code Fiasco15 at checkout
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
aggiederelict
I'm a physical therapist
rather be fishing
AG
Environmental consultant.

You should look into getting on with City of Austin. They pay relatively well and the stress level is much lower than private.
Potcake
AG
Aquatic Scientist (state agency) - almost 18 years

I switched gears at 30, left an IT job of 11 yrs at a large utility company in Fort Worth/Dallas to get Marine Biology degree at TAMUG. Got Biology M.S. at USL in Louisiana while future wife went to A&M Vet School. Spent a year at Auburn and two at LSU (her internship and residency) before moving back to Texas.

Don't give up too quick but also don't be miserable for the next 30 years.
El_Guero512
I work with the city. Going on three years in November and did state TWC and by far the city is more relax and the pay is good too..
Complaint Investigator
AG
I work in supply chain managing a bunch of contracts ($200M ish) for machined parts at a large semiconductor. I review contracts the monkeys in legal draft up and make changes to them. Because they make so much more than I do, I'm debating on taking the LSAT and going to law school. My company would pay for part of it as long as I remained employed, and the GI Bill and Hazelwood Act would pay the balance.

I'm also a helicopter pilot in the Texas Army National Guard. I HATE sitting behind a desk. This keeps things interesting enough that if I'm ever getting burned out as a civilian, I just ask to go to another school. As long as they have a spot and I'm qualified, I get to leave.
Complaint Investigator
AG
AggieZoom said:

So... I'm kinda in a quarter life crisis. Graduated 4 years ago, still with my first employer, yet I am always wondering, what do other people do?
Being born and raised here I always knew there was a lot of cool thing to get into, albeit the money might not always be great in those jobs that look awesome, but from the outside looking in, it seems that life is much less stressful and enjoyable for those people.

So just drop a comment on what you do for a living and how long? I am really curious.

thanks and gig em!

How old are you? The Guard has engineers here in Austin that drill at the reserve center near the airport. You could always go reserve and do the civil affairs thing - something I had always considered doing should I ever not want to fly.
Hhilton82
AG
Work?
OregonAggie
AG
Pharmaceutical Rep.
fig96
AG
UX designer.
SteveBott
AG
Mortgage loan originator. 16 years. But the reality is 37 years in some kind of sales. I sell money basically.

Wife is accounting. Keeps the books on a 1 billion plus investment fund.
tlepoC
AG
Enterprise Analytics Manager
Dr T and the Women
AG
Physician
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wadd96
AG
Sales Enablement
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Billy Foster
AG
Facility Service Sales- Steam and hot water boiler service contractor
Federale01
AG
So you are trying to get inspiration from what other people do? No offense, but how is that going to help you? People work jobs and get paid for different lengths of time. The answer isn't in what other people do, it's in what you want to do.
Charpie
AG
Product Manager - Automotive Software
TxAgg07
AG
Homebuilder
Drip99
AG
Manager - IT. Very exciting
The Silverback
AG
Own an Independent Insurance agency in S. Austin.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sales for an HVAC company. It's a great time to be in AC. I pray for global warming.
Dr T and the Women
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Sales for an HVAC company. It's a great time to be in AC. I pray for global warming.
Do you do Geothermal systems by chance?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tamc93
AG
Civil Engineer...

OP - Austin is going to continue to grow for the foreseeable future and there are plenty of opportunities in the construction side - be happy you are not running the machines. The last few years have been a grind for many and the recent weather is not helping - you can work through it. If not, find a company that has a better environment until you can start your own.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dr T and the Women said:

Champ Bailey said:

Do you do Geothermal systems by chance?

We do underground ductwork and ground source heat pumps. It's all custom designed for commercial buildings though, so it might not be the price range you are looking for. Is it for a residential application?
AggieZoom
AG
Complaint Investigator said:

How old are you? The Guard has engineers here in Austin that drill at the reserve center near the airport. You could always go reserve and do the civil affairs thing - something I had always considered doing should I ever not want to fly.
i'm 27.There's an age limit to joining?
AggieZoom
AG
Federale01 said:

So you are trying to get inspiration from what other people do? No offense, but how is that going to help you? People work jobs and get paid for different lengths of time. The answer isn't in what other people do, it's in what you want to do.
its not, but it gives me insight on what others do for a living.
There are days when I will take a personal day and just hangout and do my photography around town. Be it, a random Tuesday (or any weekday) and i see people out and about. So it just hits me like, what the hell do these people do that can afford to live here when I barely get time to myself.

So this post is more for me to see other people's perspectives, like you said what jobs they do and lengths of time,etc.
As Potcake mentioned, he switched careers at 30. so that in itself is somewhat reassuring. But i know time is winding down and I'm not getting any younger.

But you're right. its what i want to do but that sadly won't pay the bills lol
Aggietaco
AG
Well, construction is a butt whoop, and the way things are evolving aren't making it any easier. If you're excited about building things, you just need to find the right company for you and hope they appreciate your work. There's a pretty good market in Austin for architectural photography if you're looking to combine the two, but there are several well established "brand names" in town that are go-tos. There's also the VDC side of things if you enjoy construction and have a strong computer background.
Complaint Investigator
AG
AggieZoom said:

Complaint Investigator said:

i'm 27.There's an age limit to joining?
Yes, but you aren't anywhere near it. If you want more info, let me know. I keep forgetting to check posts I respond to. The engineers generally get the opportunity to go to the sapper course and blow sh** up. It is far from a cakewalk, though.
MPython43

Started this right after graduation in 2006 and still having fun every day.
Swarely
BenFiasco14 said:

Instagram model / Austin & travel blogger.

If you're in the market for teeth whiteners or knock-off workout clothing let me know. Use code Fiasco15 at checkout

OregonAggie
AG
MPython43 said:

That's awesome.

You started a business and I'm still selling drugs.
stardustag
AG
OregonAggie said:

MPython43 said:

That's awesome.

You started a business and I'm still selling drugs.
selling drugs is your business... so I think you two are even
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.