Austin
Sponsored by

ACL Live Seating question

3,864 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggietaco
tamc91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How much better (closer / lower) are the mezzanine seats compared to the balcony seats?

Also, I assume the floor seats are all SRO since they don't list seats, or do they put chairs down there and people just stand up?
Aston 91
AG
I've only sat in the mezzanine a couple of times. I think they're quite a bit better than the highest balcony seats (especially the high balcony seats off to the side), but not much better than the lower center balcony seats. The floor arrangement will depend on the show. Some have reserved seats and some are SRO. There's really not a terrible seat in the entire venue, just some that are better than others.
aggiederelict
Odd timing as my wife and I went to see Snow Patrol this past weekend for the first time at Moody. We had SRO tickets in the Mezzanine section and we honestly just sat down when we realized some of the seats were open.

There really isn't a bad seat in that place. We had a lot of fun.
tamc91
AG
Thanks for the replies.

I just picked up two mezzanine seats for Lyle Lovett in August. Should be a good show, but a lot per seat considering the last time I saw him live was for free in his cousin's room in Dorm 5 circa 1987.
Aston 91
AG
That beats any of my "I saw them when..." stories. Best I can do is Sturgill Simpson at Sam's Burger Joint in San Antonio, an early Dixie Chicks show with Natalie on vocals at Poor David's Pub in Dallas, and Hootie and the Blowfish at Fitzgerald's in Houston. I'm hoping Sturgill has more staying power than the other two.
Billy Foster
AG
Was there on Saturday in the balcony. Mezzanine seating is much better. The mezzanine sections are much smaller, only 5-6 rows so you're easily able to get in/out. Can't recall the size of the mezzanine seats, but the balcony seats we were in were very narrow.
tamc91
AG
It was pretty cool. It was Friday night on a home game weekend. A buddy in L-1 saw me in the hall and said "hey come in here, Mr. (John) Lovett's cousin, Lyle, is playing guitar with him."

The only song I knew of his was Cowboy Man which I believe was the first single. I thought it was goofy, but went in anyway so I could hide from my pissheads. He was really down to earth and nice. He played several songs from his first album and a bunch of classics. About 8-10 of us stayed in there for about an hour listening to them play.

Aston 91
AG
tamc91 said:

He was really down to earth and nice.
In my brief interaction with him, I thought the same thing. In 2000, he was doing an in-store signing at Waterloo Records and the line was wrapped around the building. He still took the time to shake hands, take pictures and chat with each person. I was wearing an A&M shirt, so he asked what year I graduated and then signed the liner notes to a CD I brought "Gig 'em Lyle Lovett '79".
petey88

I think Moody is the best there is anywhere. I saw Jeff Beck and The Imelda May Band about two weeks after it opened. Had mezzanine seats, was blown away when I saw the place.

Since then, two Alice Cooper shows, four Joe Bonamassa shows. Had tickets for Robin Trower tonight but sold them to a friend who's never seen him live. I've seen him three times before.

Cooper was balcony both times. Bonamassa was floor each time.

I'm not going to concerts like I used to,...but there is no hassle going Moody. No bums, people act like adults, most professional operated venue I've seen in my long career of concerts.

As mentioned, not a bad seat in the house, none more than 75 feet from stage.

Personally not a big fan of balcony because I don't like climbing over people on an aisle to get a beer or use the rest room.

Had second row middle floor for Bonamassa the time Eric Johnson came out and played three songs. Perhaps the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a concert.

Check out the W Hotel lounge next door, pretty cool place.
Froppe
AG
We love ACL Live, but don't care for the Mezzanine level. The seats and views are great, but every time we've been there, it's been a "see and be seen" atmosphere with a bunch of drunks standing right behind us, yelling at each other at the top of their voices. I'm way too old for that now. I'm really surprised that they pay that money for the tickets, and seem to pay absolutely no attention to the world class performers on the stage. It's really been a bummer for those of us who are there to enjoy the music.

We greatly prefer the balcony, starting with the third row or so. Not a bad seat in the house, though.

I guess it's hell to get old. Go ahead and pile on, y'all, but that's my take on it.
rather be fishing
AG
I'm the same way. Love the balcony seating, won't even consider the GA standing room. It would take a lot to get me to go to a show at Stubb's anymore. We went to an after show at Rattle Inn last year and showed up like 2 hours early in order to get chairs.

Moody is my favorite venue.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Not a bad seat in the house when it comes to sound. That venue has great sound.
Aggietaco
AG
I'll echo what everyone else has said, which doesn't mean much since you already bought tickets, but I'm also kind of partial to the place since I worked on it for 4.5 years. I'll also be there in August for the show.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.