Austin
Sponsored by

Non SJW churches near downtown?

6,185 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Repeat the Line
Buck Nasty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deleting staff edited paragraph
512Ag
AG
Don't bring that mess over here. Especially when asking about churches. Seriously? There's a nicer way to ask the question and still get your point across about the kind of church you're looking for.

All are welcome at University Presbyterian, but, based on your post, I think you'd probably feel uncomfortable there. But you are welcome.
Potcake
AG
Troll elsewhere please. Try 16.
JAW3336
AG
Austin Stone is top notch, Matt Carter is an Aggie and was a Ross Volunteer I think.

They meet at Austin High
Buck Nasty
AG
I'll be sure to think about AggieDem's feelings the next time I ask a question on here. Especially relating to church.
Buck Nasty
AG
I don't know what that means.
Buck Nasty
AG
Sweet, thanks
expresswrittenconsent
Would the imaginary skyman you worship be proud of your behavior here?
Buck Nasty
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Would the imaginary skyman you worship be proud of your behavior here?

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
While that's a very interesting way to ask about a church, what things that would be consider SJW topics are you hoping to avoid?

People of color
Homosexuals
Women
Economically disadvantaged

Also be helpful to know what you are looking for

Traditonal, Praise and Worship style, rock band?
Looking for a social club or one dedicated to serving the community?
A startup that meets in a temp space or an established congregation
agmom95
AG
I'm guessing, based on my own personal knowledge, is that there are some churches in Austin that are more progressive with their beliefs. For Example, some churches are a 'reconciling in Christ' congregation. Their goal is to welcome LGBTpeople or "people of all sexual orientations and gender identities" into full participation within community, which includes all aspects of the church. A lot of these churches are in the downtown area.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
So his goal is to find a church where LGBTQ are not welcome on included as full members the community?

It looks like staff came in. Something wonderfully Ironic about staff have to clean up a post where someone is asking for a church home. The edit makes it look like he is asking for a church that just tells stories from the Bible without any application to life while someone babysits his brats.
Potcake
AG
He probably doesn't want to go to church with tax collectors and their ilk as well.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Maybe it's the fatties, the divorced or even the worst of the worst those who work on Sundays
expresswrittenconsent
Bold choice for OP to come back and remove the staff edit.
Buck Nasty
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Bold choice for OP to come back and remove the staff edit.

Haha they could have just deleted my naughty word, but instead they wrote a whole new paragraph without highlighting the change. I didn't want you all to think I had written it.
Buck Nasty
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

So his goal is to find a church where LGBTQ are not welcome on included as full members the community?

It looks like staff came in. Something wonderfully Ironic about staff have to clean up a post where someone is asking for a church home. The edit makes it look like he is asking for a church that just tells stories from the Bible without any application to life while someone babysits his brats.

Amazing
Buck Nasty
AG
Dp
Buck Nasty
AG

While that's a very interesting way to ask about a church, what things that would be consider SJW topics are you hoping to avoid?

People of color
Homosexuals
Women
Economically disadvantaged

Also be helpful to know what you are looking for

Traditonal, Praise and Worship style, rock band?
Looking for a social club or one dedicated to serving the community?
A startup that meets in a temp space or an established congregation

Less: Leftism
More: biblical discussion
Buck Nasty
AG

Maybe it's the fatties, the divorced or even the worst of the worst those who work on Sundays

Yes, also less fatties
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Follow up question, what would you consider leftism in the church?

I will say that our retiring pastor slips in negative Trump related talking point, which isn't my favorite, not because I always disagree but I don't see any reason in talking politics because you are instantly closing the ears of a lot of folks. What he says isn't wrong just unnecessary and never actually mentions Trump or political parties but it's close enough and timely enough that you can hear it.
chipotle
Record and report to IRS
rather be fishing
AG
I'm disappointed I missed the OP. From what I can gather you wouldn't be happy at most of Methodist churches in the downtown area.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The word choice rhymed with ducked but was not the f word. It was ducked with a c, I had to urban dictionary it. OP must spend some time on some weireder corners of the internet than this.
wargograw
I definitely don't like the modern SJW push in evangelicalism and I've argued it with plenty of people, but the tone here could use a lot of salt.

f you go to a Bible-preaching church you might actually find out "fatties" are made in the image of God, as are liberals, as are people who disagree with you on messageboards, and deserve respect as such. Some people in the SJW movement within evangelicalism are even *gasp* real Christians who are your brothers and with whom you will spend eternity. Such a church might even exercise Matthew 18 church discipline on you for that kind of behavior. So be careful what you ask for.

To answer your question, Redeemer Presbyterian is near downtown. Not sure where exactly they stand on some of the SJW issues but I'm quite sure it's a healthy, Bible-preaching church. It's part of the PCA. (For the record not my church as I'm neither downtown nor Presbyterian).
wargograw
For those wondering, there's a push even within what would be considered "theologically conservative evangelicalism" for social justice because they believe minorities in this country are oppressed by the government and have been treated unfairly by the church.

I highly doubt he's referring to liberal denominations that have already for decades bought into both theological and political liberalism wholesale.
f2foxes2001
AG
St. Paul Lutheran on red river. Old school. No fluff. Straight mix of bible based liturgy and sermons.
Potcake
AG
My church (St. Louis King of France) is pretty liberal, or conservative, which follows the Bible.
If a church, or religion, is based on political platforms, it isn't a Christian church.
wargograw
f2foxes2001 said:

St. Paul Lutheran on red river. Old school. No fluff. Straight mix of bible based liturgy and sermons.
I may have to visit sometime. I have no desire to leave mine, but I like to know what healthy churches are in the area. I love formal liturgy.
Buck Nasty
AG
Circling back to answer some of your questions about what I'd like to avoid.

Going to a church's website and these are the very first things you read/mission statements:

Quote:

We seek to be a deliberately diverse community of faith our strength grows in proportion to the diversity of the voices in our midst. Our congregation is made up of a variety of people from a variety of backgrounds and socio-economic status; we are rich, poor, homeless, housed, black, white, gay and straight, and we gather together to live into our call to be the Body of Christ.
Quote:

St. Luke United Methodist Church welcomes all people who would join us in worship and service, regardless of ethnicity / nationality, sexual orientation or gender identity (LGBT), age, physical or mental abilities, religious background, economic class, or family structure.
Quote:

UUMC is an urban, progressive community of faith committed to traditional worship, social justice, inclusiveness and reconciliation.
Quote:

Justice | FUMC is a community that seeks to embody God's shalom in the world, especially for the excluded and marginalized. We are committed to join God in the work of justice as we learn, name, and work to eradicate injustice in our church, our community, and around the world.
I'm sure there are a lot more examples. This took all of 5 minutes after Googling "churches near me" and clicking on four of the websites.

Bonus:
Charpie
AG
I haven't been there in years, but I used to attend St. Mary's downtown. I don't recall it being political at all
fig96
AG
So for the most part you're avoiding churches that want to actively help disadvantaged or marginalized people.

Seems pretty biblical.
AgGrad99
AG
To be fair, helping a certain group of people is different than condoning their lifestyle/behavior, etc.

As an example.....a church might reach out to a group of Hindu people, and love on them...as scripture would instruct believers to do. But that doesn't mean scripture condones their belief. It's in direct opposition.

We see this in Jesus' life as he personally reached out to tax collectors, but then drove them out of the temple.

All that to say, a good church isn't going to teach opposite of scripture, even if they care for those that do.
Potcake
AG
This is just a bizarre topic to troll with.
wargograw
It would've been easier to say you're avoiding heretical churches than to refer to them merely as "SJW churches." There's some overlap there but that's a massive difference.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.