Austin
Sponsored by

Riverplace Trail Fees?

1,323 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieOO
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw this posted on r/Austin:

Guess that about ends training runs on one of the better trails in Austin.

Anyone in RP care to shed some light on why?
ContinentalAg
Friends live there. Trails were getting crowded and HOA money was being spent on upkeep and cleaning.
Aggietaco
AG
Found an article on "Four Points News" that suggests they simply want less people on the trail on the weekends so they're kicking out the riff-raff. Weekdays should still be free and they plan to collect 8AM-3PM to start, so early birds should be good. Credit card only.

Also, this isn't part of the HOA, it's the Limited District that is left over after the MUD was annexed by the CoA. Operational money still comes from local property taxes, but only those in the RPLD.
oldarmy76
This. The trail was funded and is maintained by taxes paid by river place residents. I'm surprised with how generous they have been keeping it open for general public through the years.
Aggietaco
AG
A large portion of trail maintenance is completed by volunteers. The LD is tasked with Maintenance of all the parks and rec areas in RP (soccer fields, play scapes, pavilions, etc). I'd be surprised if a significant portion of their budget is spent on the trail except for paying for the mistakes they made running part of it on other property.
oldarmy76
I'm sure maintenance isn't too much, but constructing it was a pretty significant capital project. As someone who occasionally uses the trail when prepping for backpacking trips but isn't a RP tax payer, I'm glad they are still keeping it open.
Aggietaco
AG
I am too, but the price point seems to be set to deter visitors, not support maintenance of the trail.
ContinentalAg
My friends who live there certainly do want to deter visitors.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Yep, read the Four Points article online. Only charging for the weekends to start but may expand to other days.
Aust Ag
AG
I live nearby and didn't even know about this trail. It must be something....
AggieOO
Definitely a move to deter people from coming out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.