Austin
Sponsored by

183 to Add 6 Lanes by 2025

2,145 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And yep, you guessed it, 4 of them to be variable tolls

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/us-183-to-add-6-lanes-at-a-cost-of-56-million-per-mile/1755132656
BenFiasco14
AG
Quote:

Heiligenstein estimates the toll could be as low as $0.50 during off-peak hours and as much as $8 during rush hour.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Yep. So if you take mopac/183 toll from South to North during rush hour, you're looking at $15+ bucks
BenFiasco14
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Yep. So if you take mopac/183 toll from South to North during rush hour, you're looking at $15+ bucks
What a mess. $15 a day, x5 a week, looking at $75 a week or so just to get to and from work, $300 a month. That's a car payment. And I can almost guarantee you the "benefit" on the back end, namely this one extra "free" lane wont be worth the headache this construction is going to give people.

eta i dont maths.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Our legislature and txdot are so inept it's mind boggling.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Supply and Demand! Just another reason to not live in the burbs
rugger74
AG
Well Keeper, I guess we can live in overpriced homes and higher taxes, or pay more for the tolls.
evan_aggie
AG
I'm curious as to know where all of the funds went for highway and road construction that were used year over year the last 30 years until the first toll lane was suggested?

San Antonio doesn't have a single roll to my knowledge, and they are constantly fixing, widening, adding new roads.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
That home price, again supply and demand, is quickly recovered in terms of my lack of car payments and most importantly my time. But to each his own
BenFiasco14
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

That home price, again supply and demand, is quickly recovered in terms of my lack of car payments and most importantly my time. But to each his own
Look at me, look at me!
Birdwatcher
AG
LOL @ you pleebs. Lakeway or GTFO
tailgatetimer10
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

What if I were to tell you, some people have short travel time and their car paid off.

All while living in the outskirts.

Anyway, not sure why this is relevant to the topic at hand
tamc93
AG
evan_aggie said:

I'm curious as to know where all of the funds went for highway and road construction that were used year over year the last 30 years until the first toll lane was suggested?

San Antonio doesn't have a single roll to my knowledge, and they are constantly fixing, widening, adding new roads.
You have to remember the old Austin politics (same somewhat today), if you do not build it, they will not come. They never asked for money for road construction therefore funds were sent to other cities who asked.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
oldarmy76
What part of town do you live in? Downtown condo? Are you sure you don't live somewhere that used to be a burb not too long ago?
BQ92
AG
tamc93 said:

evan_aggie said:

You have to remember the old Austin politics (same somewhat today), if you do not build it, they will not come. They never asked for money for road construction therefore funds were sent to other cities who asked.

These major roads are state not city. Austin backlash has prioritized road funds to DFW, Houston , San Antonio, and even El Paso over Austin for decades.
evan_aggie
AG
And the last 5 years? We have snarling traffic on mopac in both directions and 183, But no new solution has involved state funds.
tamc93
AG
evan_aggie said:

And the last 5 years? We have snarling traffic on mopac in both directions and 183, But no new solution has involved state funds.
Local leadership has to offer partial funding in the past and the present. The past they offered little, so the funds went elsewhere. It is not a backlash, just the reality of the game and Austin did not want part of it to avoid growth.

In more recent years, the funding has been better balanced, but the state is a slow moving machine. Many of the roads you see being built today were planned/designed/etc. 10 years ago. The day of adding free capacity is gone and thus you have toll roads being built due to limited state funds (.e.g gas tax, registrations, etc)

The other issue is that Austin gives too much influence to neighborhood groups and other stakeholders that do not want roads (e.g. Loop 360 widening, SH 45 South, recent Mopac expansion).]

Finally, Austin still mainly has a peak hour(s) issue which has recently gotten worse.

Also that being said, toll roads/lanes are about the best available solution right now and I would not blame the state, but the City for the funding and lack of planning (again getting better, just a slow process).
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
BenFiasco14
AG
Mr. Fahrenheit said:

LOL @ you pleebs. Lakeway or GTFO
lol @ the serfs in Lakeway, if you don't live in West Lake Hills and fly a helicopter to work every morning you're a LOLpoor
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
South of 45th (very dangerous I hear) so yes it was a suburb at some point but probably not recently, although it was probably considered North Austin for a while.

Definitely more power to you if you can get a short commute and the burbs or better yet country. I'd drive myself crazy trying to commute.

Anyways I was mostly just trolling some good city vs burbs talk
BQ92
AG
State highways require state funding and authorization

Austin did propose something for I35 and Lt Dan "came to the rescue" and got it shot down
tamc93
AG
BQ92 said:

State highways require state funding and authorization

Austin did propose something for I35 and Lt Dan "came to the rescue" and got it shot down
As I recall, part of the study outcome was it was cheaper for them to buy 130 than bury I-35 for a park to be located on top of it. I think most "smart" money agreed that was a bad investment.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The buried Woodall Rogers Park in Dallas is awesome
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.