Austin
Sponsored by

BBQ Tonight - La Barbecue or Terry Black's?

6,130 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JT88
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to Austin tonight to watch a friend play a show at The White Horse. I've got a list of BBQ places across the state to try, but half of them are in Austin so I can't miss a chance to visit one on the few occasions I'm in town.

Anyways, it looks like both Terry Black's and La Barbecue are in close proximity to the venue I'll be hitting up afterwards (want to be at The White Horse by 7:45 at the latest).

I'm going to try both of these places at some point - so this is not so much about which has better food. I'm really wondering which is going to be more convenient - wait time and parking.

I'd still be interested to see your feedback on the food, but suggestions for the time it's going to take would be greatly appreciated. I'll be coming from College Station, and I can get there pretty much whenever. Just would like to know what to expect.

*And thank you to everyone who gave me info in advance of my Franklin's trip this summer - that was a blast and I got some good help that time, so I'm calling on you again!
Potcake
AG
Not one of your two choices but Micklethwaite Craft Meats is closer to White Horse than either of the other two. Downside is it's a trailer and no real protection from the rain tonight.
La Barbecue is walkable depending on rain. You will need a car for Blacks.
Born Maroon
AG
LA Barbeque (and it's not even close)

Only thing is, La Barbeque runs out of Brisket by 1 or 2 pm most days...
wadd96
AG
Born Maroon said:

This.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
TheOC16
AG
wadd96 said:

Born Maroon said:

This.

Welp. Guess that kills that idea then... Brisket is how I judge BBQ. Not surprised they run out from what I've heard.

Honestly it's looking like I may not even be able to leave town in time to get dinner in Austin, but if I do it looks like it'll be Terry Blacks.
evan_aggie
AG
The "it's not even close" is a massive exaggeration.

Terry Blacks is nails.
BQ92
AG
Agree with poster about Micklethwaite

Terry Blacks is over rated imho
The Fall Guy
AG
Terry Blacks is legit. I hate Blacks in Lockhart. The one in San Marcos blows. Terry Blacks is wonderful. Brisket is legit.
OregonAggie
AG
BQ92 said:

Agree with poster about Micklethwaite

Terry Blacks is over rated imho

BBQ is such a funny thing.

I think Micklethwaite is really overrated in my 2 experiences there and I've had Terry Blacks probably 10x due to lunches with clients. I will eat Micklethwaite for sure but don't think it should be near the top 10 in Texas like TMBBQ does.

I think LA BBQ is the best of the 3 but Terry Blacks isn't far behind.

Like I said, BBQ is a funny thing...and it makes for a helluva good conversation!
evan_aggie
AG
I tried mickelthwait twice and was incredibly underwhelmed both times. I didn't like most of the sides but the biggest dissappointment was the brisket.
aggielax48
AG
Anybody been to Whitfield's?
wadd96
AG
Hell yeah. Even for a sip, Kasey and Scott there are doing good things.
agfan1030
I see you have a "to try" list for Texas. Don't overlook Guess Family Barbecue in Waco. Trailer across the street from The Silos but will be opening a restaurant in downtown Waco early this year. The best bbq.....
wadd96
AG
Helberg in Waco too!
ByrdEWhiteTrash
AG
aggielax48 said:

Anybody been to Whitfield's?
Was there Saturday. Good old boys, Brisket on par with Valentina's. (but much closer to me)

They teased me about my and wife's Aggie gear.

Suggest you wear same and this weekend I will point out all his Longhorn buddies are at Starbucks having a pumpkin spice latte waiting for the dildo parade.

Its our go to bbq
wadd96
AG
Kasey at Whitfield's has earned the right to give us Ags a little grief. He played OL for the sips and in the NFL.

But more importantly, he's just an all-around good dude. I'll bust chops on any t-shirt sip I find... I ain't doing it to Kasey!

Leander - Ag
AG
Surprised to see waco brought up on an Austin BBQ thread...
rthiele84
Don't forget about Cooper's BBQ in downtown. The original in Llano is one of my all-time favorites. The brisket is awesome.

Terry Black's is great also but more expensive. If you go there, try at least one beef rib. It is huge and has literally about 1 lb of meat on each rib.
Topher17
AG
If you're getting a beef rib in Austin, it's gotta be from La BBQ. Their beef rib is the best I've ever had and not much else comes close.
TheOC16
AG
Topher17 said:

If you're getting a beef rib in Austin, it's gotta be from La BBQ. Their beef rib is the best I've ever had and not much else comes close.
Well that would make sense since their pitmaster came from Franklin's. The beef rib I had at Franklin's was the most amazing beef rib I've ever had.

While Franklin's brisket was the best brisket I've ever had, it was the beef rib that separated itself the most and really surprised me.

Which also brings up - is La Barbecue just (essentially) Franklin's with an hour wait vs. 4 hours? That's what it sounds like to me.
Bobcat-Ag
Valentinas
Leander - Ag
AG
Which also brings up - is La Barbecue just (essentially) Franklin's with an hour wait vs. 4 hours? That's what it sounds like to me.

Yes
TheOC16
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Valentinas

Valentina's is actually #1 on my Austin BBQ Bucket list - but it wasn't near as close to my destination as the other two last week.
expresswrittenconsent
Why wait at LaBBQ when you can order ahead, select your pickup time and wait zero minutes?
TheOC16
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Why wait at LaBBQ when you can order ahead, select your pickup time and wait zero minutes?

Don't you have to do that several days in advance?
JT88
AG
Love Valentinas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.