Austin
Sponsored by

Live Music Info

716 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OregonAggie
tamc91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I used to go to a variety of live music, then due to a stint in Dallas and kids I lost track of the good venues and up and coming artists. Now that kids are close to college I'd like to start catching more live shows.

I'm mostly interested in Texas, folk, traditional country, and bluegrass styleartists with really good songwriting and musicianship. No bro country crap.

I thought a thread for people to share info about artists (new and old), good venues, and shows might be good.

I've been watching Austin Chronicle for info, but there is so much it is hard to weed through all the stuff I'm not really interested in. Anyone know of a source for shows and venues more in line with Texas, folk & country music? TIA
BlackGold
AG
Get the ap called Do512. I use that to check in on stuff in the near term. It's not a 100% cure all but it's pretty nifty!
Aston 91
AG
I recently went to a Drive-By Truckers show at The Scoot Inn in east Austin and really liked the venue and the show. It's outdoors (kind of like a smaller Stubbs setting) but the sound was really good. It's now owned by C3 and they put some money into renovating and expanding it, so my wife appreciated the clean bathrooms and I appreciated the short lines for beer. Some of the music there isn't my taste, but I'm keeping an eye out on their calendar for other artists I like.
BenFiasco14
AG
Off the top of my head...

Austin - Stubbs, "Historic" Scoot Inn, Nutty Brown Ampitheatre, ACL Live @ The Moody Theatre, Republic Square Park (just had Cody Johnson there surprisingly), Saxon Pub, Broken Spoke.

Outside of Austin specifically but in the general area..

Wild West Cedar Park (obvious location)

Maverick's Dance Hall (Round Rock)

Coupland Dance Hall (another obvious locale)

Whitewater Ampitheatre (Canyon Lake)

The Marc (San Marcos, but can be a kinda trashy crowd lol)

Cheatham Street Warehouse (San Marcos)

Gruene Hall (obviously)

Luckenbach

Probably forgetting some... Bandsintown is a nice site to use to keep track of bands/genres, also second Do512 but it's the entire city.

Also... towns like Burnet, Lampasas, and Marble Falls have festivals (typically in the Fall or Spring) occasionally and they will almost always have some Texas Country people there to play on the town squares, Burnet had Aaron Watson not too long ago, Lampasas had Roger Creager and Koe Wetzel
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
tamc91
AG
Thanks for the replies and rec on Do512.

I'm bummed that Nutty Brown Oak Hill is closed now, and moving operations to Round Rock. I live close, but I was able to see Robert Earl's there about 2 years ago, a few smaller acts, and went to their Sunday Jazz brunch a few times.

We've been to Stubb's a couple times for smaller acts, but it was mostly alternative or rock type acts. I may need to start watching their calendar.
OregonAggie
AG
They won't have big names but Hudson's on Mercer in Dripping is a great place to enjoy cold beer, dance, and live music. I've been pleasantly surprised at the talent they have there on the weekends.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.