Austin
Sponsored by

Westlake Football Playoffs

2,019 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ATXAdvisor
rwtxag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talk to me about this team. My kids are at SA Brandeis. As a fan, I am kind of looking past Brownsville Hanna (I know the coaches and team are not), and assuming Brandeis and Westlake are headed for a 4th round Regional Championship matchup (assuming Westlake gets by Edinburg Vela).

What kind of offense do they run. Qb, RBs and receivers?

Defense? what are their strengths?

Trying to get a 'what to look for' heads up before the game.

Thanks from Helotes Texas!
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
I'll give it a shot! I'm no expert, but I am a Westlake season ticket holder--have one graduate and 2 current juniors there, and one of my twins is in the band. So, yes, I'm a band parent, but I don't leave after halftime...

First, like you, I'm not looking past Edinburgh Vela. However, say that perhaps Westlake advances past them, then I'm expecting a matchup with Brandeis for the Region IV final. Lucky you, you get a virtual home game with your valley opponent, and somehow Westlake has to travel down to Corpus Christi for our game...

Westlake is a typical spread offense team. They typically line up in 1 back sets (probably 60% of the time), sometimes in 2 back, and occasionally empty. Regardless, Westlake runs the ball a lot for a "spread" team--you can almost guarantee that it's a run play when in 2 back. Overall, Westlake is very balanced offensively--217 yards/game rushing, 218 yards/game receiving.

Offensively, they run zone read a lot, and the QB Anderson (jersey #6) keeps a lot and is a surprisingly effective runner (barely 5'10", slightly built, but gets yards). He's the 2nd leading rusher on the team. As a passer, he favors the long ball, sometimes to his detriment (he floats a number of deep balls). But Westlake also has an effective screen game, too. They'll run, run, run to suck up the defense, then throw a wide-receiver screen that'll go for good yardage. Defense has to play assignment football.

Westlake's #1 tailback is Graham (jersey #29), and he's a good between-the-tackles runner. He's not fast enough to run much outside, but he gets good yardage. His knee got tweaked in the last game; I think he's playing, but we'll see. They did protect him a bit against Brennan, but Westlake got a huge lead early and was shutting them down defensively, so he wasn't needed as much. But he's averaging over 100 yards/game.

Westlake's two primary receivers are Baker (jersey #2) and Mangum (jersey #11). Baker often plays slot, but he's the primary deep threat (he's not always in the slot). Mangum is more of a possession receiver, but he'll too go deep.

Finally, they've got a good place kicker who is effective from 40 yards in (and has made a couple longer). Punting is OK, but Westlake hasn't punted a whole lot this year. I've seen them pooch it with the QB almost as often as trotting out our regular punter (same guy as the place kicker).

There aren't a ton of stars on the team--Westlake's offense is effective because of scheme and execution.

Defense is the primary strength of the team. Westlake's opponents are averaging under 9 pts per game. Westlake shut out 4 district opponents (including Bowie, who was Judson's 1st-round victim). Most opponents scores have come in garbage time against the 2nd team. Westlake was leading Brennan in the last game 49-0 until the 7 minute mark of the 4th quarter. They held Lake Travis to 14 (both by Wilson--one long pass for a TD, and another a KO return where we inexplicably kicked off to him...).

The front 7 is the strongest part of Westlake's defense. David Neil (sip o-lineman Dan Neil's son) is a very active DE, and he's quick. So is Sam Ehlingher's little brother, Jake, who's an LB. Really, the entire front 7 is fast. The secondary can get (and often does get) beat. However, Westlake is very aggressive on the pass rush, so high-school QBs often have trouble getting the ball out to their often open receivers.

That is the way to beat this defense--use the aggression against them. Screen passes wide are sometimes effective, as are sweeps (if you've got the speed to get past the defensive front). Also, again, if the QB has time, you can pick apart the secondary.

Hope this helps! Now tell me about Brandeis. Good luck against Hanna, and congrats on beating Steele.
ATXAdvisor
AG
Pretty good summary. RB Graham is done for the season. His backup is also out. The 3 yr starting All State center broke his leg a few weeks ago. But as BeowulfShaeffer mentioned, this team is built around its D. The starters have only given up something like 35 points all year, and 20+ were in the opening game after some special teams miscues. Even Lake Travis only scored 1 offensive TD.

QB Taylor Anderson just moved ahead of some guys named Brees and Foles to the #2 position in All Time Career Passing Yards at WHS, behind some other dude named Ehlinger.

Of course, his totals were padded last week by a perfect throw on the first play from scrimmage to Mason Mangum to open the scoring. From the 1 yard line, 99 yards later, the #3 hurdler in his age group in the nation was all alone in the end zone.

Interesting note: Anderson joined Head Coach Todd Dodge in the play-off record books for Longest Touchdown Pass in UIL Play-off history.
Charpie
AG
Westlake is gonna kill Vela.

And that's because I don't care about either team!
Bitter Old Man
AG
I graduated from WHS, and my senior year was the year after a State Champ win. We were looking past some San Antonio team in the first round. It didn't go well for us.
HECUBUS
AG
Wow, Tripp and Blake are out? I haven't followed football since Swope. So, Rhett's the RB then. I'm surprised they are still playing.

Ohhh, missed that Rhett was out too. Yikes!
ContinentalAg
Never fear, Luther is coming out of RB retirement, and Crockett will take snaps too. Center is a bigger problem.
rwtxag83
AG
Thanks, buddy. Give me some time this weekend to hammer out a summary. Getting ready for work now, but quick note, Brandeis has a Sophomore QB, Jordan Battles, who is the real deal. He is a big kid who is fast and elusive, hard to bring down, and their offense is a run to open the pass system. He likes to run. He does have a big arm. Most of his memorable passes are medium to deep passes, not short routes. They run on you until you bring the DBs in to help, and then burn you over the top.

I'll get more details when I have more time.

Gig 'Em, and good luck against Vela. Hope to see you guys about this time next week.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
ContinentalAg said:

Never fear, Luther is coming out of RB retirement, and Crockett will take snaps too. Center is a bigger problem.
Agreed about Webster. There was a noticeable dropoff in the 2nd half against Anderson after he went out. I'm not sure what to make of the Bowie and Brennan games, but I thought they quite as efficient running against Clemens (and should have had more yardage).

However, with the #1 & #2 tailbacks out, line play is that much more important. I think Westlake will get by Vela, but I do wonder about having the horses to go much deeper. Hopefully the defense stays healthy.

Regarding Luther--will he still play defense? He's a leading tackler & he's also got a few ints. Playing both ways is asking a lot for 48 minutes.
ATXAdvisor
AG
Anderson went down with an ankle injury in the 28-0 victory over Vela. Will be interesting who starts at QB next week if Anderson can't go. Michaux is 6' 5" with a cannon (much better arm than Anderson), but sat most of the year with a broken bone in his back. He looked better than Willoughby tonight, IMO.
HECUBUS
AG
Drew is a great kid. I saw Michaux throw on the fish baseball team. I expected he would be the starter this season, didn't know about the injury.
ATXAdvisor
AG
Anderson broke his leg last night.
Hhilton82
AG
Willoughby named starter.
Great kid who has worked his but off but noticeable diff from Anderson.
Next year should be interesting. My son (player) says Klubnick (sp?) might be the guy. Currently a fish.
Our boys are in for a tough road. Go Chaps!
HECUBUS
AG
Watched 'em on tv. Prince, Willy Mack, Mason, Drew, Danny, David all great kids we've known since LL and even a few since T ball. Glad they survived to play another game. Rhett has grown some. Congratulations on the win.
Hhilton82
AG
Took a look at West Brook. Don't seem to have a Leland McElroy on roster ( thank goodness). Hope fully the D can keep it up and Rhett and Kirk can wear 'em down.
Benk
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
If Rhett can stay healthy... Sheesh, Westlake lost Jax this last game. Fortunately, the injury bug hasn't bit the defense yet (knock wood...), but it sure has run rampant through the offense.
expresswrittenconsent
Rhett and Jax?
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Both of whom are better backs than you even when they're down to one good leg.
wargograw
Go Chaps!
Hhilton82
AG
Headed to Katy!
Go Chaps!
ATXAdvisor
AG
Hhilton82 said:

Took a look at West Brook. Don't seem to have a Leland McElroy on roster ( thank goodness). Hope fully the D can keep it up and Rhett and Kirk can wear 'em down.
Benk

11 D1 offers on the Westbrook team. This is going to be a battle. Hope our D can limit their big plays and force a few turnovers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.