Austin
Sponsored by

Things to do in Austin this Friday/Saturday - with Family

1,599 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by fig96
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So last time ya'll delivered when I took my kids to Austin - but it was summertime. What is there to do with a family of 4 - my hubs, 8 year old girl and 14 year old boy, this Friday and morning/early afternoon Saturday? It looks like weather might be an issue, otherwise we wouldn't mind something outdoors.

Gimme some ideas, please

We did Natural Bridge Caverns in the summer. We are staying at Renaissance Austin Hotel (Arboretum area).
stardustag
AG
if weather is a problem, you can try the Thinkery.
AgGrad99
AG
Thinkery is a good suggestion.

Call Mozart's and see if they've started the Christmas light show yet. Grab some coffee or hot chocolate and enjoy.

Potcake
AG
If weather allows, the Whole Foods ice rink opens on Friday.
https://m.wholefoodsmarket.com/store/event/ice-skating-plaza-1
Aggietaco
AG
You're close to Walnut Creek park if you want to take a stroll there, lots of good trails.

Mozarts already has their lights up. Every night through the new year except for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Trail of lights if you want to fight that crowd.

Downtown library is a good stop to see an impressive new building.

Thinkery at Mueller is a great suggestion, always a good time there and can spend a while exploring. Drafthouse is close if you want to catch a movie after.
Aston 91
AG
Not an entertainment suggestion, but if you want a pretty good, quick breakfast the Blue Baker next to your hotel is a good option. The everything bagel with salmon and cream cheese hits the spot for me.
docb
AG
Perdenales Falls is not to far of a trip.
JMac03
AG
Aston 91 said:

Not an entertainment suggestion, but if you want a pretty good, quick breakfast the Blue Baker next to your hotel is a good option. The everything bagel with salmon and cream cheese hits the spot for me.
This is one of my favorite BF's in College Station. Hold the capers and onions!
Aston 91
AG
If you're looking for close by hiking, St. Edwards Park (Spicewood Springs, west of 360) and Bull Creek Greenbelt (east of 360 near Spicewood) are good options. I'd prefer St. Edwards, but both can get crowded. If you go to either, don't leave any valuables in your car. If Nextdoor is accurate, thieves apparently case the parking lot - so hiding your stuff doesn't always work. That said, we've been dozens of times to each and never had a problem though.
AgGrad99
AG
Aston 91 said:

If you're looking for close by hiking, St. Edwards Park (Spicewood Springs, west of 360) and Bull Creek Greenbelt (east of 360 near Spicewood) are good options. I'd prefer St. Edwards, but both can get crowded. If you go to either, don't leave any valuables in your car. If Nextdoor is accurate, thieves apparently case the parking lot - so hiding your stuff doesn't always work. That said, we've been dozens of times to each and never had a problem though.
I'd probably suggest these over Walnut Creek. The area around there is sketchy, and they've had issues in that park recently. Beautiful area, but it makes me nervous being back there.

Been to Bull Creek many many times without issue.
Potcake
AG
+1 on skipping Walnut Creek Park.
Trail of Lights not open till 12/10 although tree lighting is on Saturday night.
JMac03
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. If we didn't have my 14 year old I think the Thinkery would be great. The weather looks like it may hold out so the parks suggested might just work. I'm a little worried about the car break ins mentioned as I don't think we will have dropped off our stuff to the hotel yet, but hope we can avoid being broken into.

Any good suggestions for dinner in Arboretum area? Particularly if they have an outdoor area where kids can run around? (No worries if not, just makes it nice if it's fun for kids too). Or somewhere with a good happy hour
AgGrad99
AG
Yes...go to Red's Porch, off of Stonelake Blvd (Quarry location).

It's a block away from you, and exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.redsporch.com/
JMac03
AG
AgGrad99 said:

This looks perfect! We love TexMex too. Thanks for the suggestion!!
Aston 91
AG
Red's Porch is more sports bar-ish, but if that's what you're looking for it could work. We went there for brunch once without knowing what it was. Can't recommend it for brunch, but don't know about dinner. If you're looking for something nicer, Roaring Fork is next door to Red's and is a good choice (no play area for kids, but does have a view of the lake). Z-Tejas also has pretty good food, nice views and is even closer to your hotel.
AgGrad99
AG
Reds is definitely a relaxed atmosphere, but the have stuff like cornhole for the kids.

Those other suggestions are great, but are a bit nicer.
fig96
AG
JMac03 said:

AgGrad99 said:

This looks perfect! We love TexMex too. Thanks for the suggestion!!
Head just down 183 and hit Veracruz for breakfast tacos and coffee one morning, it gets busy but totally worth it. Reds is a solid casual/happy hour suggestion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.