Austin
Sponsored by

Tell me about Austin

3,931 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 1992
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I have had it on our minds lately to move down to the Austin area. We've got two young kids under the age of 4, so schools will be important. She's been doing research and likes Buda so far but is open to other options. I don't know anything about the area other than driving through on I-35 and Sixth St. from my younger days. We've even discussed the option of renting a place for a year until we find an area we really like.

What areas/neighborhoods would be good for a young family in our stage of life to settle down in?
SteveBott
AG
Commute will be an issue. Where will y'all work?
My Dad Earl
AG
She's a teacher and I work from home. Fortunately I can work from anywhere. We hope that she can stay home with the kids in the next 3 years.
who?mikejones
AG
We're full. My family took the last 4 spots.

*we looked for almost a year before actually winning an offer on a house. We live in round rock which has been great. Traffic sucks amd i actually have no idea what its like to live in austin. I only work there. San antonio was better for young family life but austin has a lot more stuff to do.

Also, if you want yo build or remodel a house, let me know.
SteveBott
AG
Here is a thread on north Austin and may help some if you go north

https://texags.com/forums/36/topics/2988631
Frozen Concoction
What kinds of things do you enjoy doing? Driving in to town from Buda, even for just entertainment/recreation, will get old pretty quick. This isn't the laid back hippie-ville that one could still see traces of even 20 years ago. It's an increasingly expensive city filled with people who are willing to invest a lot more time, money, and hassle to enjoy themselves than I am.
My Dad Earl
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

What kinds of things do you enjoy doing? Driving in to town from Buda, even for just entertainment/recreation, will get old pretty quick. This isn't the laid back hippie-ville that one could still see traces of even 20 years ago. It's an increasingly expensive city filled with people who are willing to invest a lot more time, money, and hassle to enjoy themselves than I am.
I'm sure we'll go into downtown every now and then for entertainment reasons, but we really like the seemingly endless amounts of outdoor activities the area has to offer. Camping, hiking, fishing etc. Our kids are going to start playing sports soon, so that's probably going to be our "fun time" on the weekends for the next few years. That's why a family-friendly community is our priority right now.
rather be fishing
AG
What's your lease/purchase range?
oldarmy76
Come up to Georgetown
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Perhaps you should rename to tell me about the suburbs. Here is a synopsis, they aren't a lot different than other suburbs of other big cities
BiochemAg97
AG
Round Rock is the "Sports Capital of Texas" or some such marketing fluff.

If it's sports and schools, the north suburbs might also be worth considering. And the Round Rock Express at (baseball) is actually a fun and inexpensive option for professional sports entertainment. And Cedar Park Center is home to the Stars Hockey team.

Or, south burbs kinda split the difference between Austin and San Antonio for Urban Entertainment options.
johnson2012
AG
Camping, hiking, fishing, etc is better west than east. If you're exploring burbs I'd stay west. Dripping/past the Y if you want south or cedar park/leander/etc up north. Easy hop into the hills or upper highland lakes.

And as others have alluded to buda =/= Austin. I have a couple coworkers in buda/Kyle and they loath driving north of the river. On the other hand, if you move to west buda you can use 45SW when it opens to avoid 35 and get downtown
Potcake
AG
"First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came but they got too big and fat so they died and turned to oil. Then the Arabs came and they were driving Mercedes Benz's. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it"...

Seriously, rather be fishing had the pertinent question. Can you afford to buy in Austin or need a suburb? If in Austin, we live in Brentwood and feel like this area (which includes Crestview, Highlands, Wooten, and Allendale) is convenient to schools, restaurants, and downtown.
ByrdEWhiteTrash
AG
Circle C.

Best public schools in AISD Kids can still safely walk/ride bikes to school.

The City hated us being here so bought all the surrounding land so it couldn't be developed. The result is lots of open space for hiking/bike riding.

Town Lake is just 15 minutes away.

A couple of neighborhood pools.

Soccer fields are in the neighborhood and OHYSA for baseball/softball are also close by

Housing starts at 400K
CapCity12thMan
AG
This should tell you everything you need to know...

tailgatetimer10
AG
oldarmy76 said:

Come up to Georgetown

As someone who lives in north Austin, this is the correct answer.

Way more bang for your buck up there as well. Too bad it's way too far from work
SteveBott
AG
Circle C is a great neighborhood. But expensive and I doubt there is a lot of rentals. And from the OP he most likely will rent.
96ags
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

oldarmy76 said:

Come up to Georgetown

As someone who lives in north Austin, this is the correct answer.

Way more bang for your buck up there as well. Too bad it's way too far from work
Nope. We're full. Keep your ass out of Wilco.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm in WilCo
tamc91
AG
I'm in Circle C and I ride my bike around many of the neighborhoods. There are a decent number of homes for lease. I'm not sure if they are by people who are transferred and will eventually move back, or investments for the corporate transfer market.

We like it out here. Good location to town except for peak rush hour. Good schools. May not be quite the restaurant and bar selection as other parts of town, but there are several and emit doesn't take long to get to other options from downtown and southward.
SteveBott
AG
I've stated it's a great area. I just wanted to point out it's expensive
who?mikejones
AG
tamc91 said:

I'm in Circle C and I ride my bike around many of the neighborhoods. There are a decent number of homes for lease. I'm not sure if they are by people who are transferred and will eventually move back, or investments for the corporate transfer market.

We like it out here. Good location to town except for peak rush hour. Good schools. May not be quite the restaurant and bar selection as other parts of town, but there are several and emit doesn't take long to get to other options from downtown and southward.

Hows the new park with the turf wotking out?
rather be fishing
AG
SteveBott said:

I've stated it's a great area. I just wanted to point out it's expensive

Look at me, I over paid for my house.
tamc91
AG
Just pointing out there are leases and rentals in the area. Also there are a lot of other neighborhoods in the area of Bowie HS feeder schools. Legend Oaks, Western Oaks, and the Sendera area between MOPAC and Bowie are all options that a 1 yr lease can be found.

Bott and Fishing - expense is relative. Asnyou probably know Circle C is affordable compared to some other zip codes. The value of our home continues to rise every year and we're building equity, so I know I didn't overpay.

When both kids are in college we'll be looking to depart Travis Co and the City to avoid the ever increasing taxes that all the relocated Californians seem to be ok with.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Not really following. All real estate prices follow supply and demand pretty closely. I'm sure the prices in Circle C reflect the market demand. What do you mean by "overpaid"? (And, no I'm not in Circle C, Western Oaks, etc.)
The Fall Guy
AG
Live in Kyle. Work in South Austin
Go North of the river once a year.

Most of our weekends are spent in San marcos, New Braunfels.

You live in Williamson county, well you have Belton to go to
Aggieangler93
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Live in Kyle. Work in South Austin
Go North of the river once a year.

Most of our weekends are spent in San marcos, New Braunfels.

You live in Williamson county, well you have Belton to go to
Or, you could try Salado, Burnet, Wallburg, Marble Falls, Georgetown. These all beat the hell outta Belton.

I guess at least you have all the communes, trailer parks, and IH35 truck stops down that way, to keep ya happy.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Bob_Ag
AG
I've lived in the area most of my life other than the 10 years I spent in BCS. If you're in the burbs, it's like all the other burbs in the other big cities. You'll have plenty of chains to choose from.

The thing I like about being here is being close to the hill country, camping, highland lakes, etc. Aside from that, ess ok.
rather be fishing
AG
Hey now, Belton is a fine town.

Salado sucks balls.
fig96
AG
Bob_Ag said:

I've lived in the area most of my life other than the 10 years I spent in BCS. If you're in the burbs, it's like all the other burbs in the other big cities. You'll have plenty of chains to choose from.

The thing I like about being here is being close to the hill country, camping, highland lakes, etc. Aside from that, ess ok.
The other big difference from Dallas/Houston is that you aren't 60+ minutes from the city. On the weekend I can be in town from Cedar Park in 20-30 minutes.
We raised our son in Leander/CP and we both worked downtown. Commute was ok if you worked 7-4. He attended Leander HS and we were very pleased. He got an IB diploma and is now a junior at a top rated university. All the LISD schools have amazing band programs and Cedar Park and. Vandegrift HS have had really good football teams. Overall, wouldn't change a thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.