Austin
Sponsored by

Citywide Boil water notice 10/22/18

5,032 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DTP02
512Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I figure you've all seen this, but just in case:

http://www.kut.org/post/austin-issues-city-wide-boil-water-notice
tailgatetimer10
AG
Yep. And like clockwork the crazies already bought out the grocery store bottled water.
evan_aggie
AG
They ruin the drinking capability of our city water to maintain pressure for fire services. Makes me wonder why not lower pressure a bit but I know we haven't come to that. At some point (and we won't get there ) if this was to last a week, I'd prioritize drinking water over putting out a fire or two.
tailgatetimer10
AG
evan_aggie said:

They ruin the drinking capability of our city water to maintain pressure for fire services. Makes me wonder why not lower pressure a bit but I know we haven't come to that. At some point (and we won't get there ) if this was to last a week, I'd prioritize drinking water over putting out a fire or two.

But hey, they warned the public last week to minimize water usage!!

Not sure they portrayed the urgency to conserve at all, actually
Aggietaco
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Yep. And like clockwork the crazies already bought out the grocery store bottled water.
I stopped at 3 places on the way to work after dropping off my daughter that were sold out of everything but fancy water. Figured HD was an easy stop but St. Davids had already agreed to buy all of their water.

Good thing we keep a few cases on hand at home for emergencies.
AggieOO
after I told my wife about the boil notice, she responded, "what about the dogs? We probably shouldn't give them tap water either."

i laughed at her and reminded her that they were drinking brown stagnant water at the dog park yesterday.

for a smart girl, she says some dumb sheet sometimes.
Aggietaco
AG
I can't blame her, I paused for a second before filling the lab dog's bowl this morning from the tap.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Same here.

Still sucks at work. No coffee for now, as I only brought water to drink
Potcake
AG
I filled dog bowls with water from fridge filter.
I've also had some from our water fountain at work. It tastes slightly off but clear enough.
rather be fishing
AG
Was quite annoying to not have coffee made when I got to the office.
Aggietaco
AG
Made coffee this morning and then nuked it for 5 minutes. Tastes... great.
chipotle
AggieOO said:

after I told my wife about the boil notice, she responded, "what about the dogs? We probably shouldn't give them tap water either."

i laughed at her and reminded her that they were drinking brown stagnant water at the dog park yesterday.

for a smart girl, she says some dumb sheet sometimes.

My dog chowed down on a turd this morning. She's gettin tap.
rather be fishing
AG
Are y'all washing dishes with the water? Older house, no electric washer, running out of sink space for dishes.
HECUBUS
AG
Scored paper plates, bowls and plastic utensils and cups on the way home. Surprisingly, people hadn't cleaned those out. I imagine by tomorrow they will be scarce if the situation persists.
HECUBUS
AG
I also bought all the beer.
Aggietaco
AG
Washed with hot tap water and then rinsed with boiled water.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I just boiled a bunch of water and threw it in the fridge. Good to go for the next couple of days
rather be fishing
AG
The taste is not great, but I pulled down my big stock pot and we've boiled a couple pots.
BiochemAg97
AG
To make things worse, all the crazies in neighboring towns freaked out about the boil water notice too. Round Rock had to put out a PSA that they are not under a boil water notice.
wadd96
AG
Funny how they waited to announce this until AFTER F1 was done... Not that anything has changed in the city since Sunday water wise... except the extra 100K or so people that were here for F1 left...

Fortunately, Pflugerville and Round Rock don't get their water from the City of Austin.
tailgatetimer10
AG
It's been 2 days without clean water
Potcake
AG
Hell, I would venture this water is cleaner than 75% of the worlds drinking water. It tastes better today than yesterday.
AggieOO
rather be fishing said:

Are y'all washing dishes with the water? Older house, no electric washer, running out of sink space for dishes.
you can dilute a little bleach in a sink full of water for your rinse water.
96ags
AG
Now saying 10-14 days before the warning is removed.

Good thing the leaders in Austin focused on plastic bags, straws, and soccer teams.

Drip99
AG
Yep and these same leaders want Amazon here...
tailgatetimer10
AG
96ags said:

Good thing the leaders in Austin focused on plastic bags, straws, and soccer teams.

Where's this posted? Would like to read and share
96ags
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

96ags said:

Where's this posted? Would like to read and share
Spokesman for the city just said in Travis County Commissioners court
Potcake
AG
96ags said:

What do any of those have to do with historical flooding?
rather be fishing
AG
Keep in mind, Adler is up for re-election right now, as are many of your City Council representatives.
Laser Wolf
Hopefully local businesses can put pressure on the Austin govt to build more water treatment plants so this crap doesn't happen again. A lot of restaurants are closed right now and losing money.
96ags
AG
Potcake said:

96ags said:

They take up time and resources that apparently should have been spent on infrastructure.

Town lake, where the cities water is drawn from, didn't really see "historic flooding" just higher than normal turbidity.
tailgatetimer10
AG
96ags said:

Potcake said:

96ags said:

They take up time and resources that apparently should have been spent on infrastructure.

Town lake, where the cities water is drawn from, didn't really see "historic flooding" just higher than normal turbidity.

Exactly.

Let's send out another bond for hiking trails, side walks and bike lanes.
Potcake
AG
Where do you think the floodwaters, and siltload, from upstream have been flowing through? It's the heavy siltload that is causing the problem. You're complaining that treatment plants weren't upgraded to handle periodic heavy siltloads yet you probably vote against every bond issue as well. Can't have it both ways.
MouthBQ98
AG
I stopped at Walmart in Elgin on the way home for a few odds and ends and the Austin locusts has stripped the store clean of bottled water by Monday afternoon.

I'm pretty sure they bought all the bread and bleach too, just in case.
evan_aggie
AG
Potcake said:

Where do you think the floodwaters, and siltload, from upstream have been flowing through? It's the heavy siltload that is causing the problem. You're complaining that treatment plants weren't upgraded to handle periodic heavy siltloads yet you probably vote against every bond issue as well. Can't have it both ways.

Why are bonds always the solution to city infrastructure upgrades? Increased property values and additional homes have added $54m a year to CoA and rather than use it to improve things like water treatment or local roads, they've already earmarked it for affordable housing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.