Austin
Sponsored by

Let's talk about Round Rock ISD's bond.

4,640 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggieangler93
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They weren't mad about leaving Walsh, as much as they were being rezoned to Cedar Vally at the very last minute.

Some neighborhoods now drive past Walsh and Pearson to go to Vedar Valley....and it was done to include more diverse 'demographics'.

Another situation where if they'd been honest the entire year, I don't think people would have gotten that upset. But it was changed a couple days before the vote, which got everyone upset. Those were interesting meetings.

Mookie
AG
What hoods drive past Walsh and Pearson to get to cedar valley?
AgGrad99
AG
Walsh Trails and RBC.

Charpie
AG
Empower Texans has weighed in on the bond
Mookie
AG
Didn't know about Walsh trails.

Cedar valley is odd because it splits up to RRHS and McNeil. They need to fix their feeders to make sense and be consistent.
BTHOB-98
This is interesting.

https://empowertexans.com/central-texas/special-interests-spend-big-to-pass-rrisd-bond/
BiochemAg97
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

This is interesting.

https://empowertexans.com/central-texas/special-interests-spend-big-to-pass-rrisd-bond/
I love how "special interests" are supporting the bond with an alterior agenda (and that is somehow proof the bond is bad), while the side against the bond somehow doesn't count as a "special interest with an alterior agenda".
Charpie
AG
Shhhh. They are only reporting the facts.

Such hypocrisy on the part of Empower Texans
JAW3336
AG
What special interest is against the bond? What is their agenda?
Texian
AG
JAW3336 said:

Those pesky taxpayers and their interest in not being taxed out of their homes.
BiochemAg97
AG
JAW3336 said:

The group of tax payers that are against the bond because of property taxes and hate for the school board and superintendent. Their agenda seems to be less property taxes and ousting the school board and superintendent.

I have nothing against people contributing their money to campaign for or against an agenda that means something to them. Let's just not pretend only one side has an agenda and only one side has a perceived benefit from their agenda. Let's also quit pretending that the reasons the school board has for the bond are dependent on or are in any way necessarily related to the motivation of an individual for or against the bond.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

"This bond isn't the reasonable and moderate bond we were promised after the 2017 one failed," said Sprigg. "The district has given bloated cost estimates and has designed this bond to generate a huge surplus, which can then be spent at the discretion of the trustees."
without taking sides...he's got a point.

508 this time...last time it was 578. Yes, it's a reduction, but there's also no High School. It's kind of funny how last time was seen as extraordinarily inflated, but this one isnt.

gonna be interesting to see what happens.
Charpie
AG
I'm sure the district is bloating cost estimates because they got burned with McNeil and Westwood master plan efforts. They were funded and scheduled for completion in 2011.

And its 2018..and McNeil is in shambles and Westwood is falling apart
AgGrad99
AG
Crazy. It seems like not long ago they were the 'new' schools in the area.

Things change to fast these days (ie...im old)
Charpie
AG
Did you know that Westwood was built in 1979?
AgGrad99
AG
Did not.

My sister went there in the late 90s...early 2000s. Seemed so nice back then.
Charpie
AG
It's the second oldest high school in the district, followed by McNeil, Stony Point and Cedar Ridge.
BiochemAg97
AG
Charpie said:

I'm sure the district is bloating cost estimates because they got burned with McNeil and Westwood master plan efforts. They were funded and scheduled for completion in 2011.

And its 2018..and McNeil is in shambles and Westwood is falling apart
Westwood was planned for completion in 2011, but the bond at that time was only phase 1&2. They added phase 3 (now completed) in the last bond that passed (2014/2015?) and the '17 bond that included phase 4 failed.

I haven't looked that deeply at McNeil master plan, but phase 1 got derailed with the cave and endangered species. This bond includes phase 2.

BiochemAg97
AG
Charpie said:

It's the second oldest high school in the district, followed by McNeil, Stony Point and Cedar Ridge.
Well, the original parts are the second oldest HS and built in '79. There has been a lot added since.
Aggieangler93
AG
I wish they would do this. It sucks having your kiddos best friends from elementary and middle school, end up at different high schools. I have had two kids go through Cedar Valley and into RRHS since the knuckleheads came up with this bright idea. Both kids have seen their best friends go to McNeil.

That said, the district needs another high school (and this gets us closer) and there is lots of other stuff there that is maintenance for many needed facilities in our oldest campuses on the district, like Chisholm Trail middle. I'll be voting for it.

I don't buy into all the dishonesty crap or conspiracy theories. I've lived here all my life and have seen a lot of school boards come and go. I also know we have a reputation and credit rating for being fiscally responsible. So I am in.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
SteveBott
AG
I voted for it.

Keep in mind my three kids are at least 3 years post public education. My youngest is now a senior at A&M. I'm a classic I don't need good schools. But I do.

I need good value on my home. Good schools are vital for that.

I'm willing to pay some money to help your kids be successful. I'm paying forward.

Our good schools drive our economic success. We all want that.

I held my nose and said OK.
BiochemAg97
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I wish they would do this. It sucks having your kiddos best friends from elementary and middle school, end up at different high schools. I have had two kids go through Cedar Valley and into RRHS since the knuckleheads came up with this bright idea. Both kids have seen their best friends go to McNeil.

That said, the district needs another high school (and this gets us closer) and there is lots of other stuff there that is maintenance for many needed facilities in our oldest campuses on the district, like Chisholm Trail middle. I'll be voting for it.

I don't buy into all the dishonesty crap or conspiracy theories. I've lived here all my life and have seen a lot of school boards come and go. I also know we have a reputation and credit rating for being fiscally responsible. So I am in.

My daughter went to Walsh MS. One of her best friends went to Stoney Point with everyone else going to RRHS. Not so bad for my daughter as ~90% of her friends went with her to HS, but kinda sucks for the girl that went to SPHS.
Charpie
AG
The problem with the feeder schools is that some are MUCH larger than others. I look at Grisham and Canyon Vista. CV has a capacity of 1400 kids where Grisham has a capacity of 800 kids. Feeder schools into CV are Spicewood, Caraway, Laurel Mountain and parts of Jollyville. Grisham has Anderson Mill, Canyon Oaks, and parts of Purple Sage. Those Purple Sage kids then get split again when they go to high school, being sent to McNeil or Westwood..which is insane since Westwood is literally down the road from Purple Sage.

We need more schools..period.
SteveBott
AG
Did this pass or fail? Cannot find the results on the internet
AgGrad99
AG
it passed

https://news.roundrockisd.org/2018/11/06/round-rock-isd-voters-approve-508-4-million-bond-election/
SteveBott
AG
Ha the only link was a statemens article saying it failed but when it I clicked they had taken it down
AgGrad99
AG
I would have liked to read that...
SteveBott
AG
My google

round rock school bond results

First link
AgGrad99
AG
oh....lol. I think that was from the last election

tricked me for a minute too.
Aggieangler93
AG
That's about the normal standard of accuracy for reporting in the Statesman. Not sure it was an old link. LOL
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.