Austin
Sponsored by

Possible relocation to Cedar Park

2,250 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bitter Old Man
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently interviewing with a company that is based in Cedar Park. We're still in the preliminary discussion phase of it all, and it's probably sitting at about 50/50 odds of coming to fruition. Part of my concern is not knowing this area at all and where to look for potential housing. I would prefer something more on the rural side of things, and I'm willing to commute to around 30 minutes, maybe a bit more for the right place. The house we own now is sitting on an acre, and I'd really like to find a lot roughly that same size. The job would be on the northeast side of town.

I've looked on realtor.com briefly, but I'd kinda like some input on neighborhoods to look at or avoid, what roads are troublesome (I know I-35 sucks), good schools, etc. if anyone is willing to share.
SteveBott
AG
CP, Leander and Liberty Hill in that order run northwest on 183 which has a toll road and free road. Based on your post I would look at Liberty Hill. Lots of 1-5 acre lots there and good schools. Has a small town feel and growing fast but not far time wise to CP which has all the suburban options of retail and restaurants.
rugger74
AG
Agree with Bott, still like country living with good schools and close to Austin if you like that culture.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Actually, I hate that culture. I'd burn Austin to the ground if I could.

Biggest issue I'm seeing is $/SQ. Ft. I'm not sure they're going to be willing to cough up the salary I need to make this work. Mercy...
SteveBott
AG
I'm mortgage so if you want to run some numbers in closing costs and monthly payments let me know. Just PM
rather be fishing
AG
Trigger warning, but if the price per square foot of the greater Austin area is troublesome, and you hate the politics, consider not moving here. You're getting good advice on what the residents of these areas are seeing.

Keep in mind that Williamson County is probably going to be red and Travis will probably always be blue. I think you can carve out your niche and be comfortable wherever if come in with an open mind.
Martin Q. Blank
What's your budget? There are small neighborhoods near Cedar Park in acre lots. Reagan's Overlook, but not good schools. Leander Country Estates at New Hope and 183 and good schools. Also, Sam Bass and 1431. not sure the neighborhood name.
BBDP
AG
CP is great! Been here since 05. If you work in CP, 30 min should not be a problem to find what you want..... cost will be. Lots of places with great views and trees.
I am guessing $300 k min for a one acre lot and a decent home.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
rather be fishing said:

Trigger warning, but if the price per square foot of the greater Austin area is troublesome, and you hate the politics, consider not moving here. You're getting good advice on what the residents of these areas are seeing.

Keep in mind that Williamson County is probably going to be red and Travis will probably always be blue. I think you can carve out your niche and be comfortable wherever if come in with an open mind.

I appreciate your candor, it's definitely something in the back of my mind. I guess I simply wasn't aware of just how rapidly that area is growing and it's caught me by surprise. The prices are blowing away what we saw when we bought our house up here in Pennsylvania. To be honest, if it wasn't a job that I've been wanting to go into most of my life, I probably wouldn't even think about it because we absolutely love it where we are. But, this is where they are, and it's a dream job for me, so here I am. My wife and I had been talking about getting back to Texas as all of our families are there, anyway.

As for budget, I'm still working on that. The company first called me out of the blue on Tuesday, so this hasn't even been going a week and I don't know what the pay is going to be yet. That's one of the reasons why I'm asking about neighborhoods, so I can do some figuring on what I'm actually going to require. But from what I'm seeing, it's looking like the house is going to be in the 350-400 range. I think that will be doable with the equity we've got in our house now if the salary comes out right.

Are there specific school districts we should avoid? What about Taylor? Found a house there that's about 30 minutes from the office.
SteveBott
AG
I would not live in Taylor. It's more then 30 minutes and the schools are not as good as CP/Le/LH
jopatura
AG
Keep in mind property taxes. We looked at a house in CP, but we couldn't afford the house + property taxes increasing every year. We're in Pflugerville now but I can't speak to the schools yet. I think it'll be okay but we'll see when my oldest starts Kindergarten next year.
JAW3336
AG
The only way I would think to get from Taylor to CP in 30 min would be to use the toll roads, 130/45/183 and that will add a good bit of cost to your commute.

Are you sure you can get a decent house on 1 acre withing 30 minutes of CP for 350k? I would guess 450+ would be the starting point.

And definitely consider the taxes wherever you decide. Some of the new subdivisions around liberty hill and leander have a 3% tax rate.
JAW3336
AG
as far as roads to avoid, my list includes Hwy 79, 183, 1431/university
BenFiasco14
AG
rather be fishing said:

Tend to agree and anyone who knows me from the politics board would be shocked to know I love it here.

Doesn't sound like a fit, OP
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Mookie
AG
Commuting to CP is easy. I echo BOTT and rather be fishing. Not for nothing but if Austin chaps you that much...

Liberty hill is great for larger lots and that small town feel. Everyone in the town is at the football game on Friday nights.

Commuting to CP from places like marble falls, Bertram, LH, Florence, or Georgetown wouldn't be bad. I would veto Taylor.
Leander - Ag
AG
Lived here 7 years and absolutely love the area (moved from Dallas)

I'm not leaving Texas, and I think the Austin area is the best place to live in our state.

tamc93
AG
Been here way too long and CP is a good community with good schools. LISD in general has decent schools, but nice affordable large lots are probably outside of your price range. Consider Liberty Hill or Georgetown - both decent school districts and an easy drive for you.

I do not know if the job requires you to fly often, but keep in mind the airport is on the other side of town. Still easy to get to.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
BiochemAg97
AG
jopatura said:

Keep in mind property taxes. We looked at a house in CP, but we couldn't afford the house + property taxes increasing every year. We're in Pflugerville now but I can't speak to the schools yet. I think it'll be okay but we'll see when my oldest starts Kindergarten next year.
Property taxes are going to be a pain. Figure a 10% increase annually in assessed value as determined by WilCo, but only because that is the homestead limit. That has been the trend for years. Property taxes don't go up quite that much, since some of the taxing entities take pity on us and lower the rate slightly as they don't quite need a 10%+ increase in revenue every year.
AgGrad99
AG
If you want 1+ acres....Liberty Hill might already have priced you out (unless you can find a fixer-upper on the outskirts). The increase of prices out there the past couple of years is amazing.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Pricing is really going to depend on what the salary offer comes in at. Thanks to Steve, I've got a pretty good idea where that needs to go, and I'm not really sure it's going to get there. Second phone interview was yesterday, so I'll probably know more about where this is headed in the next week or so. But this thing is still possible.

Seeing on the news today about the Llano River flooding. Hopefully all of y'all and your families are safe. Is this having any impact on the CP/LH region?
AgGrad99
AG
Not at all, really. Creeks are high, some low water crossings are closed...but nothing out of the ordinary.

(Except for the Leander Bus Driver who tried to cross a low water cross with a kid in tow)
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/child-rescued-after-leander-isd-bus-was-swept-away-driver-arrested/1528763474

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I decided to not pursue this any further (flying down for an on-site interview). All the insight in this thread was helpful in making what I think is the best decision.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Lake Travis is currently over 1431, and has been for a week. So, you cant get from Marble Falls to Cedar Park, without going the LONG way around.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.