Austin
Sponsored by

Amazon HQ2 Rumor

5,172 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
LihaiAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is speculation but hear me out...

3M's campus was just sold last Friday... 3 or 4 $3MM+ homes were also sold that had been sitting for over 6 months. This could be it...
SteveBott
AG
Interesting. But lots of companies are moving or expanding. My wife is with Schwab and they just build a new campus because they doubled their head count here. From 800 to 1600 or so and wanted all the staff in the same campus. Very nice.

Most of the new staff were transferred from CA.
tlepoC
AG
I loved working inside the 3m campus. Great building.
AgGrad99
AG
Is this the campus off 2222 you're referring to?
SteveBott
AG
Yes
AgGrad99
AG
Interesting.

Not sure that area can take anymore traffic...but that's definitely a cool location for a campus.
SteveBott
AG
Yea I would think they would build out your way
AgGrad99
AG
haha...please no!

I vote for Hutto or Buda
SteveBott
AG
This techies aren't going to either of those areas. Too far away from 'civilization '.
evan_aggie
AG
That campus and space isn't near large enough for the number of folks amazon is expecting, nor is the public transit sufficient for that area.
SteveBott
AG
Evan my first thought was capacity of existing buildings. 5-7K? But how much usable land is around the campus? And would Amazon only buy several locations like Dell had. Don't know
tamc93
AG
I heard the campus finally sold and will be interested on the buyer. Amazon would be a surprise, but an interesting buyer.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
AggieOO
The rumor I heard from someone in commercial real estate is that the 3M campus would be temporary until they build their HQ at mopac and 45.
SteveBott
AG
All that land is Robinson Ranch the largest single owner of land in Austin. And the family house is not that far south from that intersection. Hmmm

Mr Robinson is known to not sell much.
expresswrittenconsent
SteveBott said:

All that land is Robinson Ranch the largest single owner of land in Austin. And the family house is not that far south from that intersection. Hmmm

Mr Robinson is known to not sell much.

Interesting. Never heard of the family/ranch but the first Google result indicates they might be looking to sell

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/04/06/robinson-ranch-owners-court-developers-for-7-000.html

Unrelated, but apple austin seems like such a sh*t show compared to their overall reputation.
SteveBott
AG
They have a history of being nibbled on the outskirts of their land. Mr Robinson has always been against mass development but he is getting up there in age and I'm guessing some estate issues are on the horizon.

It is a really big chunk prime development land. Austin and the ranch agreed to a very favorable annex several years ago. Looks like they may be moving to a development strategy. I'm just guessing out loud and have no real info.
expresswrittenconsent
I believe you. That's the only thing that makes sense as to why that whole area hasn't been covered with cheap homes and strip centers like the rest of unincorporated houston pville/rr/cedar park over the last 10-15 yrs.
SteveBott
AG
Robinson would not sell. They own the longest working business in Travis with their stone/rock plant on McNeil road and I'm guessing it's a cash cow. He did not need the money. Statesman interviewed him around 15 years ago and that was his position at the time.

But things change and they have been more agreeable to selling off the edges of the ranch. Apple campus, State Farm not fighting the toll road cutting through etc.
tamc93
AG
Time and family goals may have changed....you never know.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Matsui
AG
I thought it was announced that Los Angeles won hq2?
SteveBott
AG
Nope
tlepoC
AG
Apparently announcement coming on 9/7
SteveBott
AG
On what?
JohnnyShotgun
"Unrelated, but apple austin seems like such a sh*t show compared to their overall reputation."

What does this mean? Which part of Apple fells like a **** show and how? Just a confusing statement.

thirty-two
SMidgett87
AG
Aggierific said:

Apparently announcement coming on 9/7
bump
Ozzy Osbourne
Womp womp
evan_aggie
AG
Trending DC if you believe the betting and the hiring request posted... 800-900+ jobs so far listed in the Virginia/DC area.
Throwout
AG
You do know that the Robinson family put out an RFQ and is currently interviewing companies to develop the entire 7,000 acres, right?
SteveBott
AG
No I didn't which is why I posted it sounded. Like they had changed position on development
tamc93
tlepoC
AG
Welp, guess my source was wrong. The wait continues.
AggieStout
AG
Didn't amazon want to be downtown. Heard that city showed a plot that is currently an apartment complex off riverside.
LihaiAg06
AG
A 45-day close would put the announcement sometime in the middle of the month.
rather be fishing
AG
AggieStout said:

Didn't amazon want to be downtown. Heard that city showed a plot that is currently an apartment complex off riverside.

Sounds like the place Oracle recently bought.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.