Austin
Sponsored by

Travis county late vehicle registration at tax office or dmv?

1,648 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CSTXAg92
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I forgot/ procrastinated in getting my truck registered this year. I got the inspection and tried to renew online but I was too late for online renewal. I am seeing conflicting information on whether I have to take it to the dmv or the tax office. I don't want to waste time at the wrong spot.

Thanks!
jopatura
AG
Tax office. Make an appointment. Prepare your anus. I believe the satellite offices are still closed from the whole fraud thing making the one open office a ****show.
cityagboy
AG
jopatura said:

Tax office. Make an appointment. Prepare your anus. I believe the satellite offices are still closed from the whole fraud thing making the one open office a ****show.
Tried to make an appointment but none were available for the next month... they open at 7:30. I'm just gonna be there ready before they open and wish for the best...
expresswrittenconsent
I find the drive thru is usually much quicker than going inside.
SteveBott
AG
Yep tax office. Got five vehicles so pulling a tab is very familiar
jp70
AG
The one tax office on Airport opens at 7:30, but there is a long line already by then. Went at 7 last month and was about #30 in line. Then waited for about 45 minutes after getting inside for a 5 minute transaction. Its like Austin traffic in the morning; the longer you wait to get started, the longer you wait.
expresswrittenconsent
7am might be the problem. I just drove by on the way to the gym and the drive thru had 3 cars.

Also, obviously if you renew before expired, you can do it online.
MouthBQ98
AG
I think you can now still register online up to either 90 or 180 days late as long as you have no outstanding citations for registration and your inspection is done, and you get a prorated expiration date, as if you had registered on time.
jopatura
AG
The Pflugerville location just opened back up on Tuesday.
stevopike
AG
call/try fry auto title service, might pay a few bucks extra for convenience but usually nobody there.

jt2hunt
AG
Do it online and say you are out of state working.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It's a 60 day late window right?
CSTXAg92
AG
HEB in Austin allow you to renew your registration. Much more convenient than any DMV.
Charpie
AG
Not if it's late
CSTXAg92
AG
Charpie said:

Not if it's late
There is a little grace period. I know because when I did my wife's, it was a few weeks late. I doubt they would be able to help if months late, but I know a few days/weeks you'll be OK.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.