Austin
Sponsored by

City Council Bagged

3,087 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Martin Cash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.statesman.com/news/city-bag-bans-violate-state-law-texas-supreme-court-rules/ZRd93xYQUkvZkHIEQX9yrM/
Potcake
Furlock Bones
AG
i'm always annoyed when i forget my bags. but, it is nice to not have as many plastic bags strewn around the city like you see other places.
Aston 91
AG
I think this ruling sucks, and I'll add it to the list of reasons I hate Ken Paxton.
SteveBott
AG
My issue is not allowing old style paper bags. Recyclable. Free.
chipotle
I bought these:

I'm never going back
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I thought the paper bags were allowed? I never get charged for them at central market. I agree it is an over reach but I did like the outcome, I rarely forget bags and don't have that crazy bag of bags under my sink and never see them blowing across the parking lot anymore
SteveBott
AG
From my memory the old brown bags were not allowed but I do not shop in Austin. So you guys tell me if they are still in use. Round Rock has plastic. We use the plastic for trash can liners so they get reused at our house
Beer Baron
AG
I don't get the hate for this. The inconvenience is minimal even if you forget your bags, and the reusable ones hold so much more and are so much easier to carry. I don't see how this was that different from smoking bans.
Beer Baron
AG
SteveBott said:

From my memory the old brown bags were not allowed but I do not shop in Austin. So you guys tell me if they are still in use. Round Rock has plastic. We use the plastic for trash can liners so they get reused at our house
I think it's up to the store. I haven't seen a paper bag at HEB in years but Randalls uses them.
SteveBott
AG
FYI here in RR the only time I see eyesore plastic bags is when they hang up on farm barb wire fences. It's like magnets strung around. And yes we still have open fields here
who?mikejones
AG
Smoking bans should be up to the business too.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
But I love the smoking bans effects! Agree businesses should have the rights
who?mikejones
AG
I too agree. It is nice to not have to worry about it but it should still be up to the business. I'm happy to use my dollars in a discriminatory way and the power stays with the people.
expresswrittenconsent
Why should the "rights of the biz owner" supersede the decision of the local voters as to whether a city allows smoking/strip clubs/liquor sales/fireworks in the city limits?
SteveBott
AG
Good question.
Federale01
AG
SteveBott said:

FYI here in RR the only time I see eyesore plastic bags is when they hang up on farm barb wire fences. It's like magnets strung around. And yes we still have open fields here
Yeah, unfortunately ones that didn't get caught up in the barbed wire likely ended up in a creek or stream.
SteveBott
AG
There are very few fields and streams in my area.

In general folks are good at picking up trash around here. My family does what's right which is pick up trash and recycle.
aTm papi
I hope the TX Supreme Court strikes down the PTO ordinance as well.
Potcake
AG
Why have local governments then? I know Abbott likes to trot out the patchwork of local laws around the state strawman but he's apparently never tried to get a beer or mixed drink in parts of the Panhandle or East Texas.
johnson2012
AG
I would assume that has something to do with red vs blue. Isn't at least half the job of a state pol in texas to overturn local blue rules and regs? Rideshare, bag ban, etc
expresswrittenconsent
Abbott can't decide whether he wants to be POTUS, or Mayor of Austin. The thing he has done best (besides bringing embarrassment to the state for the repeated idiotic bathroom bill failures that neither conservatives nor liberals support) is make Rick Perry's tenure look a lot better.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Breaking news. Travis County District Court Judge Tim Sulak denied the Texas Association of Business's (TAB) request to put Austin's Paid Sick Leave Ordinance on hold while TAB and the City of Austin litigate the constitutionality of the Ordinance. More details to come, but this means that the Ordinance is still on the books and will go into effect starting October 1, 2018.
Martin Cash
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Abbott can't decide whether he wants to be POTUS, or Mayor of Austin. The thing he has done best (besides bringing embarrassment to the state for the repeated idiotic bathroom bill failures that neither conservatives nor liberals support) is make Rick Perry's tenure look a lot better.

Well, if he did decide to be mayor of Austin, he'd be the first one with a brain in several decades.
Potcake
AG
Howdy Governor.
tamc93
AG
Ryno01 said:

Breaking news. Travis County District Court Judge Tim Sulak denied the Texas Association of Business's (TAB) request to put Austin's Paid Sick Leave Ordinance on hold while TAB and the City of Austin litigate the constitutionality of the Ordinance. More details to come, but this means that the Ordinance is still on the books and will go into effect starting October 1, 2018.
Unfortunate first step in litigation and they probably knew they would lose. People complain about affordable housing all the time and if they only knew the true costs of ordinances such as these.
wargograw
Didn't realize we had so many big government fans around here.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
wargograw said:

Seriously...Ken Paxton, the champion of local control government who sues the Feds at every chance, also goes after local city ordinances...hmm could it be that he just wants to rally his political base against democrats?

Is he ever going to trial for securities fraud?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I don't really care for how the state keeps slamming down on Austin policies after a vote has been cast, but I do think the plastic bag ban is a feel good, do nothing law.

If you are worried about the amount of plastic being used, then you should stop going to grocery stores where everything is literally wrapped in a pound of plastic. It's not the microscopically thin bag that is causing consumption problems.

Another thing is that it's not the plastic bags that are the problem. It's people littering that is the problem. Don't ban plastic bags, make littering laws more stringent.

The final thing I will say is that a lot of people rarely rewash the reusable ones, so you get a lot of cross contamination everywhere in the store. That bag that someone flops down on the conveyor belt that all your food goes on could have been holding raw chicken last time. Now that bacteria is all over the belt and everything it touches. Same thing with the shopping cart.
DD88
AG
Husky Boy Jr. said:

wargograw said:

Seriously...Ken Paxton, the champion of local control government who sues the Feds at every chance, also goes after local city ordinances...hmm could it be that he just wants to rally his political base against democrats?

Is he ever going to trial for securities fraud?
Removing needless local government regulations on private businesses and citizens promotes more freedom.

Straus' flunky Byron Cook is the one who concocted charges against Paxton after he dared to challenge Straus for the Speaker's position. The courts wised up to high dollar lawyers bilking taxpayers in this case which is going nowhere (just like Perry's, Hutchison's, and Delay's trumped up politically motivated charges).
KT 90
AG
Champ Bailey said:

The final thing I will say is that a lot of people rarely rewash the reusable ones, so you get a lot of cross contamination everywhere in the store. That bag that someone flops down on the conveyor belt that all your food goes on could have been holding raw chicken last time. Now that bacteria is all over the belt and everything it touches. Same thing with the shopping cart.

This last part always grossed me out. We always just buy the new plastic ones and don't bother with the reusable ones. At least that way we know they are clean. And yes, we reuse them anyway. Have two dogs and there is plenty dog poop that needs to be scooped into those plastic bags. Plus other ways to use them.

rather be fishing
AG
They have the plastic produce bags next to the chicken for a reason. Also, wash your produce before you eat and don't undercook your chicken. Problem solved.

If you can't handle that, buy the pre-cooked frozen chicken and let the rest of us be competent.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
rather be fishing said:

They have the plastic produce bags next to the chicken for a reason. Also, wash your produce before you eat and don't undercook your chicken. Problem solved.

If you can't handle that, buy the pre-cooked frozen chicken and let the rest of us be competent.

Well that is the bottom line for everything really. Just make sure your food is washed, whether it is GMO, organic, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.