Austin
Sponsored by

Proposed RRISD Police Dept

1,766 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BiochemAg97
Jackie Daytona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zooguy96
If that's the case, they need to cut administrator positions and administrator pay.

Changing the number of teachers or schedule for this is stupid.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
SteveBott
AG
Where are you getting your post on cuts from this letter? Just rumors? It's clear they have some money in the budget already since they are paying the current contract costs. It also sounds like they have no choice since the current police Dept are backing out with no alternative.

Momma's would go ape crazy if their kids had no cops at the schools
Jackie Daytona
AG
TamuKid
AG
Did he get a bonus if he hit a certain word count. Sheesh. Could have said all that in a couple succinct paragraphs.
BiochemAg97
AG
I've seen a lot of misinformation or just plain ignorance from some people opposed to the RRISD doing this.

It is possible the "cut teacher to pay for it"or "change from A/B schedule" might be some wild speculation used to inflame the masses.

SteveBott
AG
Agreed. Note: I'm done with my three kids in RRISD. All are college done or within a year done. I have no dog in the fight except my check to pay my taxes.

I'm having a hard time connecting a and b here. We have to have police at MS and HS. Soccer moms would revolt if we didn't.

Local police say they can't continue with their contracts. What is the districts option?

The existing budget is probably 73-80% funded so this increase in cost should be manageable. Why are we drastically changing our teaching methods to pay for it?
coupland boy
AG
I don't think the state is proposing to help school districts with security. Therefore, this type of thing comes out of limited M&O budget. ISD's "get what they get" to spend on kids according to the state's formula. Local tax base goes up = less money from state.

It's not a stretch to say that a concession is made elsewhere.
BiochemAg97
AG
coupland boy said:

I don't think the state is proposing to help school districts with security. Therefore, this type of thing comes out of limited M&O budget. ISD's "get what they get" to spend on kids according to the state's formula. Local tax base goes up = less money from state.

It's not a stretch to say that a concession is made elsewhere.

Construction, installation of metal detectors, and that type of thing can be covered by bonds.

M&O would need to pay the salaries, but the is also Federal money that helps districts pay for SROs.
coupland boy
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Construction, installation of metal detectors, and that type of thing can be covered by bonds.

M&O would need to pay the salaries, but the is also Federal money that helps districts pay for SROs.

Thanks. Where can I get info on reimbursement and such?
BiochemAg97
AG
School board voted to proceed along the path. Should hire a chief around Dec and then the chief will spend time putting together a plan. Board will vote again once the chief has a plan.

That seems like the next opportunity to be upset about things. But by then we will probably have a better idea of what it will really cost and such, rather than just the fear and speculation.
BiochemAg97
AG
Was looking at last month's community impact which has a bit of a write up on this.

RRISD currently spends $2,252,384 to local PDs for 23 SRO officers salaries and overtime for on campus event security. They are projecting a year 3 cost of 2,254,541 for a chief, a dispatcher, and 24 officers, with about $600k of that going to equipment, vehicles, and training.

I'm a little skeptical that you can really add 3 personnel without adding cost, but maybe the district is paying a premium to the local PDs or having dedicated personnel that don't also police the community will have an impact on the amount of overtime. But bottom line, the cost of a RRISD PD shouldn't be so much more than paying the local PDs as to require drastic changes to other parts of the budget.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.