Austin
Sponsored by

Area HS jr/sr summer plans

1,074 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HECUBUS
HECUBUS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you will be looking for something for your HS student to do next summer... You need to apply for these early spring semester. I saw an add in the neighborhood app looking for odd jobs to occupy their kid's summer and it's lameness prompted me to this post.

Son found an awesome paid internship as a rising junior. He found another good opportunity as a rising senior. This one gives college credit, he's doing the supramolecular sensors research. Before, his summers were all baseball.

This summer:
https://cns.utexas.edu/tides/k-12/high-school-summer-research-academy

Only four HS kids made it in. One LASA, one Regents and two Westlake. There were more research projects available though. The four HS kids are working with one senior and one grad student, under one prof.

Last summer, this one paid $8/hr;
Emerging Leaders Summer Internship Program

He also did NASA HAS, but wasn't interested in the history of space exploration. That was a dud technically. Your mileage may vary.
Poptartin
My kid is a lifeguard.
rather be fishing
AG
City of Austin has internships that are paid and look great on a resume. Probably too late this year, but definitely worth looking at.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Aust Ag
AG
I hear ya, BOM. Been going through this with my 16 year old last 2 months, keeps "striking out". His car was in the shop for 2 weeks (auto body), and that didn't help things. Now, he's at church camp and has another one in 2 weeks. Then family vaca. Then, before you know it, it will be time to report for football.

Ugh.
HECUBUS
AG
That's what the "Emerging Leaders Summer Internship Program" is. The boy really enjoyed that one.

I think the city job is advertised where they get their AP test scores and the others gigs probably came through the boy's teachers. Leaving baseball created a huge void.

His little sister is all volleyball at the moment and that's enough. Her brother is her strength trainer and she does two camps a week with tryouts in July.

The football kids had am lifts all summer with the baseball kids. Only baseball kids get to play more and higher level baseball all summer than the HS can offer, so summer was the best/worst. Kids sacrifice too much for HS sports. I bet if your kid quit football he would have the busy problem too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.