Austin
Sponsored by

Anyone have experience fighting an Electronic Device Use While Driving ticket?

1,433 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BiochemAg97
Hickory High
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I received a ticket for this a couple of weeks ago, my first since moving here. I was simply looking at directions on my phone. Now I know in the eyes of the law, they don't care, and yes, technically I could have pulled over to make sure my directions on Google Maps were correct. All I'm saying is that there's gotta be some gray area here between someone texting & driving and someone just looking at their phone.

I had hoped to pay a reduced price by taking an online driver safety course, but apparently, since this ticket doesn't go on my driving record, that's not an option. My only options are to either:

A. Pay $220
B. Fight it in court, likely to work out some sort of deal

I'm curious if anyone here has recommendations for taking this violation to court.

JAW3336
AG
I would ask on the automotive board.
SteveBott
AG
In Austin? Show up to court. Very likely a DA is there to offer deals.
Hickory High
AG
SteveBott said:

In Austin? Show up to court. Very likely a DA is there to offer deals.
Interesting. I'd hate to miss work, but I'd also hate to pay $220. I may look into doing this.
SteveBott
AG
I'm going on my experience with a speed ticket. This violation is new so not as confident on the process
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
They will let you turn in a copy of a receipt for a hands free device, so buy the most expensive one
Potcake
AG
Or stay off your phone.
Hickory High
AG
Potcake said:

Or stay off your phone.

I was briefly checking my phone to look at Google Maps. I had taken a wrong turn and needed to see where to go next.
Martin Q. Blank
Hickory High said:

I received a ticket for this a couple of weeks ago, my first since moving here. I was simply looking at directions on my phone. Now I know in the eyes of the law, they don't care, and yes, technically I could have pulled over to make sure my directions on Google Maps were correct. All I'm saying is that there's gotta be some gray area here between someone texting & driving and someone just looking at their phone.

I had hoped to pay a reduced price by taking an online driver safety course, but apparently, since this ticket doesn't go on my driving record, that's not an option. My only options are to either:

A. Pay $220
B. Fight it in court, likely to work out some sort of deal

I'm curious if anyone here has recommendations for taking this violation to court.

Law in Texas is communication. You weren't communicating. Fight it.
expresswrittenconsent
Austin has a different law.
BiochemAg97
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Austin has a different law.
Didn't state law overrule city law?

Nope, looks like they didn't vote on that part in the special session. Austin is free to have their own more restrictive rules.

Curious if you were cited under Austin city ordinance or state law.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.