Austin
Sponsored by

RIP Sammy Allred

1,478 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rugger74
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charpie
AG
Sweet Sam
rugger74
AG
KVET radio legend and musician, and a true Austin treasure. Miss you Sammy.
rather be fishing
AG
Old codger.

I called in one time to ask about when Rodney Crowell would be playing in Austin and my phone dropped the signal and he made a disparaging remark about callers hanging up on him. I called back in about 2 minutes later and he told me I should have been listening already and that Rodney Crowell would not be performing in Austin for at least the next year.

This seems like platitudes, but he was a curmudgeon.

I'll always remember that.

My dad thinks Sammy is a huge hippy because of my uncle that went to tu back in the early 70s, but he listened to him pretty much every day. He always liked to grumble about what Sammy had to say. That's a piece of Austin that you can't replace.
96ags
AG
Pretty hard listening to Kinky Friedman talk about Sammy on the radio this morning.
trouble
AG
I loved his cranky old self. The one time I had the opportunity to meet him, he was the sweetest old grump.
Martin Cash
AG
Always liked his view on cruise ships: Like being in jail with a chance of drowning.
rugger74
AG
Sammy and Penny ruled the C&W airwaves on KVET for a long time. Sammy got a little crusty in his latter days of radio, but was a huge draw. Love/Hate type deal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.