Austin
Sponsored by

Best DPS

3,135 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggieangler93
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have to get my picture done on my license, I did it in San Marcos last time and it was quick and easy. Any of the closer ones have decent wait times?
jopatura
AG
I always check in to the mega one in Pflugerville on my phone and roll in to my spot waiting for me.
rather be fishing
AG
Plus one on early check in.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Nice didn't even realize that was an option, I can do that at the North Lamar location
tripperwill
AG
I don't think the North Lamar location has check in. I think only the mega center in Pflugerville has it, I may be wrong though.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It gave me a button to click for North Lamar but said I could not get in line until it was open
AggieFabricator
Gonzales Tx is so fast..
expresswrittenconsent
the one in georgetown was always empty, but you have to drive an hour to get there if you live in austin and not pflugerrock
trouble
AG
The new office is easier to get to.
expresswrittenconsent
trouble said:

The new office is easier to get to.
does that mean it is more crowded now? probably so considering how much that area has grown. but back in the day it was off the main road and kind of hard to find and so it was always empty compared to heading to the N Lamar DL office near DPSHQ.
who?mikejones
AG
It's so popular no one goes there
trouble
AG
It used to be off downtown and hard to find but it was still crazy busy. It's on Westinghouse road now and they have online check in. I haven't needed to go over there but it can't possibly be worse than before.
Charpie
AG
Anderson Mill has one off of Lakecreek. I've never waited more than 30 minutes
BiochemAg97
AG
Charpie said:

Anderson Mill has one off of Lakecreek. I've never waited more than 30 minutes
Tried going there to get kid her DL... that place can't be busy, there are only like 15 parking spaces.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I got in line on line this morning for the North Lamar location, showed up 10 mins before my appt, there is a line into the parking lot and the door lady won't won't even let me in, got right back in the car and went home. Not sure why I expected anything les. Luckily it's less than 5 mins away, try again tomorrow I guess.
Caesar4
AG
https://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/driver_licensing_control/rolodex/search.asp

Quote:

The Department has many driver license office locations statewide that can serve your needs. However, our Mega Centers are our premiere locations. If a Mega Center location appears in your search, we encourage you to visit this location for all of your driver license and identification card needs. If one is not available in your area, any office can assist you.

Mega Centers:
  • Allow you to get in line online before you arrive at the office
  • Have a larger number of support staff and service windows
  • Allow you to schedule drive tests

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
North Lamar which is not a megacenter also offered the get in line online option. It however a farce.
I got my spot in-line was told to arrive at 3:11, 10 mins before my 3:21 "spot", I wasn't even allowed in the door
Potcake
AG
This thread made my day. Reserved a spot at the megacenter and was in and out in ~ 20 minutes, about the time it took me to get there. I live about 3 minutes from Lamar location but too many negative experiences on here and yelp. Thanks for the info everyone.
Aggieangler93
AG
Been using the Pflugerville mega-center for years now, since it opened. Kid had drivers test there and parent taught driver's ed setup, etc. I've renewed my license there, as have multiple family members. I've never waited more than 10 minutes with the online system of getting in line.

I used to go to North Lamar with everyone else on the planet. Used to wait in line for an hour there to renew license. Thankfully no more. The employees at North Lamar are noticably grumpier since they are in such an out-dated facility, also.

Also, most folks don't know it, but it's possible you are eligible to renew online, if your last renewal was not online, and you don't care about reusing your old picture. May want to check that out, if you are renewing. I did that option one time I renewed, and it was fast and easy.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Meant to revisit this! I went to the Pflugerville one! It was as good as government can be. Made an appointment, checked in on the computer upon arriving, waiting room was packed, but there was a 2nd one they instructed me to sit in because "fire code" said everyone had to have a chair, 10 mins later I was doing my eye test and out the door.

Do not go anywhere else.
Harkrider 93
AG
I just went to N Lamar last week and no problem. Checked in online and then asked to extend my time. Got in with no problems. Waited 10 mins longer than time slotted.

I went on Weds around 10.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The DPS employee who administered my eye test and issued my new license said the earlier in the day a N Lamar the more accurate the estimate is.
ATXAdvisor
AG
I just make a leisurely drive to Marble Falls, usually less than a 5 min wait, then grab lunch at the Bluebonnet Cafe. The only real issue is not falling asleep on the drive home.
Aggieangler93
AG
ATXAdvisor said:

I just make a leisurely drive to Marble Falls, usually less than a 5 min wait, then grab lunch at the Bluebonnet Cafe. The only real issue is not falling asleep on the drive home.
This is an idea I can get into. If I was forced to eat pie at Bluebonnet every time I needed to do something with DPS, that would be a win!!!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.