Austin
Sponsored by

CodeNext

4,851 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by evan_aggie
tamc93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

UPDATE on 6/19/18 Below

Original Post:

Just sharing the recent released opinion of RECA on CodeNext...

---

Real Estate Council of Austin (RECA) Board Position on CodeNext 3.0

RECA is deeply committed to a more vibrant, livable and connected Austin. And while RECA remains engaged in the CodeNext process, we are very concerned about the latest draft of the land development code (CodeNext 3.0).

In 2012, Austin City Council unanimously passed the Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan that detailed the need for a compact and connected city and recommended a rewrite of Austin's land development code through a process called CodeNext.

Since then, the City has spent more than three years developing a new code that was supposed to be simpler and more predictable. Unfortunately, the latest draft of the code is more than 500 pages longer than the current code and remains overly complex and confusing.
RECA supports a new land development code that results in the implementation of Imagine Austin's goals for a more affordable, livable and compact and connected city. RECA's technical experts' assessment is that, as written, the code is a step backward, not forward, and will discourage forward-looking development.

Our members have volunteered thousands of hours, submitted hundreds of comments and tested several sites under the new code. To date, more than 90 percent of our technical feedback (50 pages and dozens of suggestions) has been ignored.

While RECA will continue to stay engaged in the process at this time, we cannot support the current code as written because it:
  • fails to meet the goals of Imagine Austin, including the need for a more affordable, livable and compact and connected city.
  • fails to provide the density on city corridors necessary for long-term transit solutions and reducing traffic congestion.
  • fails to realistically and substantially encourage more affordable housing.
  • fails to produce a more predictable permitting and building process.
  • fails to simplify the process and creates even more unworkable layers of bureaucratic red tape that will slow the development process.

Our Position

While RECA will remain engaged in the process at this time, RECA cannot support the code in its current draft 3.0 form.

Going Forward

RECA will continue to actively collaborate in the Evolve coalition and provide our technical expertise with the goal of getting to a code that works for the future of the city. Our assessment of the current draft will not keep our team of experts from doing everything in our power to make significant changes to create a code that works. Dramatic and significant changes need to be made by the Planning Commission for RECA to support CodeNext.

Just sharing...

evan_aggie
AG
Let beaucracy spread across three years and multiple people draw up a plan and this is what happens...

No idea how anyone thinks they could manage $300m in an Affordable Housing Bond. SA and Houston pass $20-$30m AH bonds...and are larger cities.
Aggietaco
AG
Is this where I vote for higher taxes?
HTownAg98
Just wait. If the sos people get their way, codenext will come up for a public vote, and then it really gets interesting.
Something that has had needed to get done for decades will get bogged down in the courts, and nothing will change.
KT 90
AG
Aggietaco said:

Is this where I vote for higher taxes?
Yes, very likely. Between this and the upcoming bond package they are going to try to jam through you know it is coming.

evan_aggie
AG
I love how the statesman says...
"Oh it's just another $60 per household".

Yeah.... $60 x 30 years $1800 plus the previous bonds that have all been passed and have to be paid annually by tax payers.
Furlock Bones
AG
evan_aggie said:

I love how the statesman says...
"Oh it's just another $60 per household".

Yeah.... $60 x 30 years $1800 plus the previous bonds that have all been passed and have to be paid annually by tax payers.
yep. keep stacking that "only 50-100 dollars per year" on top of each other and then all of the sudden, it's a couple of grand extra plus rising property values.
evan_aggie
AG
$8.5m later and codeNext is terminated.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2018-05-10/zoning-and-platting-terminate-codenext/
tamc93
AG
evan_aggie said:

$8.5m later and codeNext is terminated.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2018-05-10/zoning-and-platting-terminate-codenext/
Not surprised and glad this is finally coming to a head - but it is just a recommendation.

Council is trying to not make this an election year issue on the ballot, so I expect they will continue to try to push it.
who?mikejones
AG
The city is moving to change mcmansions from 40% of lot size to 30% of lot size to help with affordability.

I'm sure it will go like they think it will.
MouthBQ98
AG
It's the bureaucratic busybody disaster everyone with any sense could see coming from the city.
HTownAg98
Of course not. In fact, it's the exact opposite.
HTownAg98
MouthBQ98 said:

It's the bureaucratic busybody disaster everyone with any sense could see coming from the city.

The blame for this really doesn't lay at the feet of the city staff. The original draft document was a fairly decent document. The problems arise when every single neighborhood association and councilcritter intervenes and takes a document that is a step in the right direction and completely fs it up.
PabloSerna
AG
"Terminal democracy" - one of my favorite quotes from Antone Predock, architect for the City of Austin Municipal Bldg. He was blown away by how long and difficult it was to get that building done.
PabloSerna
AG
As someone who regularly works in Austin, we need to update the Land Development Code. It is a shame that the City made this harder than it needed to be. I live in Bastrop and we have a better code than Austin! (Form Based).
tamc93
AG
Latest Update - 6-19-18

Dear RECA Members:

Are you aware of the ongoing effort and substantial work our RECA volunteer leaders are putting into the CodeNext process?

In April, RECA issued a statement opposing the most recent Draft 3.0 of the code, but we indicated our willingness to remain at the table and support a process that would produce a code that aligns with Imagine Austin's goals for a more affordable, livable and compact and connected city.
Through April and May, dozens of RECA leaders attended and testified at numerous Planning Commission and City Council hearings emphasizing:

• The countless hours they have spent evaluating, providing technical analysis, and drafting detailed revisions to all three versions of the code.
  • The current draft fails to meet the goals of Imagine Austin and doesn't provide the necessary density on city corridors for long-term transit solutions.
  • The current draft is rife with conflicting regulations and does not produce more predictable permitting and building processes.
Now that public testimony has concluded, City Council is evaluating how to address the complexities of the current draft. RECA believes that the draft code in its current form takes our community backwards, not forward, and the City should take as much time as it needs to get it right. I encourage you to remain engaged and vocal on CodeNext as it is one of the most important issues we will face in our lifetime.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
rather be fishing
AG
Good for RECA. Spot on. I'd take partial credit but my membership had lapsed.
Throwout
AG
For what it's worth, everything that I've heard indicates that council is going to try to ram this through by the end of August.
tamc93
AG
Throwout said:

For what it's worth, everything that I've heard indicates that council is going to try to ram this through by the end of August.
Probably do not want it to be an election issue...
Throwout
AG
That's exactly right. Rather than getting it right, or doing the right thing, they'd prefer to just ram it through so it's not an issue.
SteveBott
AG
Some judge just ruled it has to go on the ballot. hmmm
tamc93
AG
SteveBott said:

Will see how they try to avoid this...
SteveBott
AG
Don't care. Round Rock here. Just posted info
evan_aggie
AG
tamc93 said:

SteveBott said:

Will see how they try to avoid this...

I am pissed that this land use/development code has been 5 years in the making, and has pleased almost no one. There has been turn over yearly as to who is driving it within the city.

If they don't want to put it to a vote, they'll just kill it and call it something else next year.
HTownAg98
Austin managed to do what they always do with plans like this. They started with a bad plan and made it so bad that no one likes it.
tamc93
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Austin managed to do what they always do with plans like this. They started with a bad plan and made it so bad that no one likes it.
except the people who started the bad plan for to make it better for others...
PabloSerna
AG
As someone who has been following CodeNext's development from the beginning, I can only say it started off with a great goal and then spiraled out of control. I feel that when it goes on the ballot, special interest groups will kill it with catchy commercials, out of context quotes, radio ads, etc. In short, what started off as a much needed revamping of the LDC - will get axed because most people will accept the 20 second explanation and see it as a liberal attempt to inject affordable housing and make development harder.

Austin will still need to fix the current issues; let's see what happens!

+Pablo

BiochemAg97
AG
PabloSerna said:

As someone who has been following CodeNext's development from the beginning, I can only say it started off with a great goal and then spiraled out of control. I feel that when it goes on the ballot, special interest groups will kill it with catchy commercials, out of context quotes, radio ads, etc. In short, what started off as a much needed revamping of the LDC - will get axed because most people will accept the 20 second explanation and see it as a liberal attempt to inject affordable housing and make development harder.

+Pablo

Either that or some special interest group supports it, sells it as an awesome way to help some way to solve all the social issues and it passes resulting in Austin needing to fix the codeNext issues.
tamc93
AG
PabloSerna said:

...will accept the 20 second explanation and see it as a liberal attempt to inject affordable housing and make development harder.

I accept it already...There is nothing in the new code and old code that makes things easier which unfortunately contradicts any goal of affordability. While the suburbs may not care much, they should since many of the city's trend towards Austin's codes either directly by adopting them or through staff moving around.

Agree on the latter and there was hope in the beginning.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
PabloSerna
AG
tamc93 said:

PabloSerna said:

...will accept the 20 second explanation and see it as a liberal attempt to inject affordable housing and make development harder.

I accept it already...There is nothing in the new code and old code that makes things easier which unfortunately contradicts any goal of affordability. While the suburbs may not care much, they should since many of the city's trend towards Austin's codes either directly by adopting them or through staff moving around.

Agree on the latter and there was hope in the beginning.

I think there is plenty new in CodeNext that is going to improve the chances of affordability. Particularly density bonus incentives and giving developers the option to pay into the City's Affordable Housing Fund.

For me, what's at stake here is fear about density, what it is, and taking the easy road (sprawl). Austin can't sprawl forever and by encouraging density, weather through ADUs, building height limits, or minimum lot sizes - it will pave the way for Austin to effectively build mass transit that does more.

+Pablo
evan_aggie
AG
Regarding density concerns (worsening), is Austin not already incredibly dense when taking into account protected green belt that can't be developed?

Austin proper is very dense compared to other cities in Texas. However, we have a unique geography west of mopac that makes development difficult and little in the way of effective transportation around it.
tamc93
AG
evan_aggie said:

Regarding density concerns (worsening), is Austin not already incredibly dense when taking into account protected green belt that can't be developed?

Wait until you see the future floodplain maps/rules that just take away more developable land along these areas (pending adoption next year?). Essentially the 500-year floodplain is becoming the new 100-year floodplain.

Edit to Add what was sent out today from RECA after my post:

The City of Austin is considering a substantial and immediate revision to flood plain maps and flood-related regulations, which could have a significant impact on building regulations and how properties in our community can be developed.

The changes are a result of preliminary data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that, according to the City, roughly found the City's current 100-year flood plain should become its 25-year flood plain and that the current 500-year flood plain should become the new 100-year flood plain. Data on a potentially new and expanded 500-year flood plain is still being determined.

The City is proposing to implement the revised regulations this fall in advance of completion of its updated maps, which would likely be updated over the course of two or three years after the final data is compiled later this year. RECA is concerned about the potential impact that these proposed revisions may have on property and is evaluating the City's proposal in more detail. We will keep you updated as this issue develops further.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
PabloSerna
AG
Density, when done smartly, is better than sprawl. It can encourage public transit (light rail, bus, or self-driving vehicles). I have lived in Austin, 90% of the work I do is in Austin and I can tell you, first hand - traffic is crazy! Not just in the downtown core but MOPAC, 969, 71, 290, 2222, all over.

In my opinion, Austin needs to revamp the LDC to encourage diverse housing types, mix use, and pedestrian friendly transit. I think these are obvious goals - question is how do we get there?

+Pablo

ps: I live in Bastrop now. I bought a house in the downtown area - kids walk to school, I walk to my office, just the wife drives... to Austin! I have added 2-3 hours to my day :-)

PabloSerna
AG
I happen to think this is a good idea. I helped out with the damage assessment team in Orange, TX at the last hurricane and those folks lost everything. Developers have a different criteria than government (local/national) when it comes to the bottom line. While it may be a tough pill to swallow, there are too many areas experiencing 100 year flood events too often in my opinion.

+Pablo

who?mikejones
AG
Question- how much more money must we spend on public transportation before we can say we've solved both traffic issues and the movement of people? A million? A billion? A trillion?

Question 2- efficient density is a pipe dream in austin. Sprawl has already happened and you cant put that genie back in the bottle. If you focus on density you neglect the majority of austin residents. How do you accommodate said majority when the city's focus is on the urban core?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.