Austin
Sponsored by

Austin Public Library

1,690 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BQ78
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you haven't been to the new one on Cesar Chavez make the trip. We went yesterday and it is one of the coolest buildings I have ever been in. You can check out everything from books to CDs to computers, it has great views of the city, awesome spots to read, and they are opening a coffee shop craft beery joint called Cookbook where all the food is made from recipes in the libraries cookbooks. The staircase design was so interesting as well,
Aust Ag
AG
Homeless laying about?
512Ag
AG
Aust Ag said:

Homeless laying about?

Hank Scorpio has taken care of that.
rather be fishing
AG
Has the urine smell set in yet?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I did not notice any homeless and it was very clean. There were a few people using the computers who could have been homeless but funny enough they were watching the news so not bothering anyone.

Apparently you can rent the outdoor roof deck for $1200 buck for 4 hours. It would a great place for a party.
Aust Ag
AG
Well, hopefully there's a great "library revival" in Austin. Because I can't remember the last time me or anyone I know was pining for going to the library. Seems like an awful expensive building and location for something that on first glance, seems to not be "the future". I can't see my 2 high schoolers heading to the library in their free time.
Aggietaco
AG
Have teenagers ever desired to visit a library?

I agree that it is a waste of money and space, but now that it's here, I think it will be a good spot for young families.
Aust Ag
AG
Ha, I thought about myself too....I quit wanting to go after 7th grade. Hopefully the place stays busy, not seeing it...but hope it does.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The place was busy while we were there on a Saturday afternoon and not with people aimlessly touring, people were using the facilities. Classes were being taught, lots of studying and reading was going on. I work from home a lot and can definitely see myself working from there. I am interested in seeing what it is like on a weekday but won't be able to check it out for a few weeks.

I encourage you to check it out yourselves if you have doubts about it. It may have been expensive but like it or not it's ours now, so you might as well see if there is any value in the space for you.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
The stairs creak a lot.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

The stairs creak a lot.

That's because the good stair contractors are part of good GC's and also bidding on Trump's wall. The City didn't let them participate.
AgGrad99
AG
Nothing like a library that finished 30 million over budget for a total cost of 126 million.

Hey...it's just tax dollars. That's not real money, right?
BQ78
AG
BQ78
AG
So the building is probably worth more than the books it houses?
SteveBott
AG
It's not even your tax money but hey!
AgGrad99
AG
You're darn right. Used to be...not any more.

I dont listen to him much anymore, but the library cost was a funny rant of Jeff Ward's.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Nothing like a library that finished 30 million over budget for a total cost of 126 million.

Hey...it's just tax dollars. That's not real money, right?

And I'm almost certain the city built it to high rise code...costing extra millions. They could have dropped the roof a foot or so negating the high rise requirement.
MBUSA
BQ78 said:

So the building is probably worth more than the books it houses?

Probably??? I hope it ends up being a positive to the city.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Money is spent now, might as well enjoy what was built with it and 126 million is chump change. However, I do wish they would have taken on private donations, my guess is that they could have covered a lot of the cost with tax deductible donations.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
126 million is most definitely NOT chump change
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Maybe not to you
BQ78
AG
That library or 1.5 Jimbo Fishers?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.