Austin
Sponsored by

Business Dinner on a Wednesday

1,889 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BenFiasco14
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some suggestions for a business dinner, budget is $100 per head and then need a good bar afterwards.

We are going to start with happy hour at the Driskill Bar. I want the evening to have a real Austin feel and don't want to go more than 10 mins from downtown.

So far I was thinking:

Barley Swine - a litt far
Odd Duck
Lonesome Dove
Chicon or Contigo
Mookie
AG
I like lonesome dove. It has such unique stuff your clients will remember it. Plus the bar is pretty good...
tamutaylor12
I thought contigo closed.
Potcake
AG
There were a lot of recs for Red Ash on another thread. It looks to be a three minute walk from Driskill.
wadd96
AG
If you can expand your area to the Domain, I would recommend Paul Martin. Yes, it's a chain, but we had a great dining experience there for my wife's birthday.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Furlock Bones
AG
never fails. he said no farther than 10 minutes from downtown and has an Austin feel, so you recommend a chain up in the Domain.

OP, Red Ash/Lonesome Dove are good to stay downtown . Geraldine's at Hotel Van Zandt. Will put you in Rainey Street for after dinner cocktails.

Juliets and Eberly just across the lake. Only problem is depending on when you want dinner, it can take awhile to get over there. Last week, I had a 6 pm dinner at Juliet's, and i'm right downtown. took me 25 minutes to get over there with traffic.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I may consider ranch 616 as well, it's cheaper but fun good and rememberable
wadd96
AG
And if you noticed, I qualified my response. For someone who has expressed a dislike for Austin in the past, you're getting pretty uppity.
expresswrittenconsent
"the domain" - where people from pflugerville go when they want to experience downtown austin.
wadd96
AG
I go to both The Domain and Downtown... But thanks for playing...
MBUSA
Red Ash
MBUSA
expresswrittenconsent said:

"the domain" - where people from pflugerville go when they want to experience downtown austin.
That must be why all the restaurant buzz is going there. Moving from downtown to The Domain.

Parking aplenty, and no crime.
expresswrittenconsent
yeah, there totally arent a zillion cranes downtown building high-rises and the skyline hasnt completely changed in the last decade.
it is funny that you think "all the buzz" for nice restaurants is in the domain. the buzz for restaurants has been on the east side (kemuri tatsu-ya named as a top 5 new restaurant in the US for 2017 in several national publications, jacobys, franklin and the new la bbq, etc) and in the lower burnet road area (tons of highly regarded places). there are some nice "high-end" dining options in the domain but there are more such options downtown.
MBUSA
expresswrittenconsent said:

yeah, there totally arent a zillion cranes downtown building high-rises and the skyline hasnt completely changed in the last decade.
it is funny that you think "all the buzz" for nice restaurants is in the domain. the buzz for restaurants has been on the east side (kemuri tatsu-ya named as a top 5 new restaurant in the US for 2017 in several national publications, jacobys, franklin and the new la bbq, etc) and in the lower burnet road area (tons of highly regarded places). there are some nice "high-end" dining options in the domain but there are more such options downtown.
They aren't eating down there. They are living down there. Look at the closures.
MBUSA
Here is the big problem downtown. You need a very frequent fine dining clientele, meaning people willing to spend $100+ per person per meal, twice a week. They don't have that currently. At The Domain they reach a much broader audience. Who wants to go through the hassle of downtown? Downtown is a pain in the butt.
MBUSA
Population-wise the center of Austin is West Anderson Lane. Just a few short miles from The Domain.
Lynch
Cafe Josie on west 6th.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The Eberly's bar is cool enough to go just to see it.

Quote:

the historic Cedar Tavern bar of Greenwich Village in New York City. Built in 1866 out of pure mahogany from South America, the Cedar Tavern held court for more than 140 years in three different locations in New York City. A living piece of history, it was the watering hole of choice for many notable artists, abstract expressionists, beat writers and folk musicians. On any given night you might have seen Jackson Pollock drinking and fighting with Willem DeKooning or Jack Kerouac. Or overhear Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix or Allen Ginsberg marinate on their next project. In 2006, the Cedar Tavern Bar in New York City closed for good to make way for the onslaught of commercial growth. The partners of Eberly who had also spent more than a few evenings spinning tall tales at the bar, didn't want to see this work of art end its run. So they purchased the bar, had it deconstructed and moved to Austin, where it's been in storage patiently waiting to paint its next canvas.

Can't speak about the food though, never eaten there.
ktownag08
AG
+1 for Eberly

Did our company Christmas party there back in December. Nice craft cocktail and wine list. Food was pretty tasty too!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I love a good suburbs vs downtown debate, but yeah we won't be going to the domain. Austin's population center is certainly north but the nightlife center is certainly downtown plus so is our office and hotels my guests will be staying.
wadd96
AG
Understandable... Enjoy your dinner...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
May favorite pizza is at the Domain, iFratelli.
Furlock Bones
AG
wadd96 said:

And if you noticed, I qualified my response. For someone who has expressed a dislike for Austin in the past, you're getting pretty uppity.
good lord. you offered a suggestion that fit none of the parameters the OP was looking for. i actually like the domain for what it is.

but again it fit none of the OPs parameters. also, if Austin as amazing as you and others suggest, why recommend chains in the first place?

good chains have their place.
BenFiasco14
AG
Champ Bailey said:

The Eberly's bar is cool enough to go just to see it.

Quote:

the historic Cedar Tavern bar of Greenwich Village in New York City. Built in 1866 out of pure mahogany from South America, the Cedar Tavern held court for more than 140 years in three different locations in New York City. A living piece of history, it was the watering hole of choice for many notable artists, abstract expressionists, beat writers and folk musicians. On any given night you might have seen Jackson Pollock drinking and fighting with Willem DeKooning or Jack Kerouac. Or overhear Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix or Allen Ginsberg marinate on their next project. In 2006, the Cedar Tavern Bar in New York City closed for good to make way for the onslaught of commercial growth. The partners of Eberly who had also spent more than a few evenings spinning tall tales at the bar, didn't want to see this work of art end its run. So they purchased the bar, had it deconstructed and moved to Austin, where it's been in storage patiently waiting to paint its next canvas.

Can't speak about the food though, never eaten there.
Eberly is awesome, it's different though so I'd take a glance at the menu first, OP to see if it sounds good to you.

Eberly's brunch though? Might be my favorite in town. Free valet too (tip of course)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.