Austin
Sponsored by

Dripping Springs info

6,930 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OregonAggie
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like my family and I will be moving to Dripping Springs from Dallas in a couple months. I'm just looking for general info on the area and pros/cons of the area.

I appreciate y'all!
The Silverback
AG
Former small Hill Country town that is basically an extension of Austin right now. Lot of development, both residential and commercial.

You can still find plenty of land but its not cheap anymore, also plenty of family oriented neighborhoods with new construction. School district is pretty big though, you could potentially have a 25 min commute to HS depending on where you live.
putu
AG
We just moved to Belterra and love it. I work at Barton Creek and the wife works from home. The area is booming. Schools are expected to grow big time in the next 5-10 years. HS alone could grow by 2,500.
OregonAggie
AG
My kids will be in 7th grade and 9th grade next year. I'm hoping it doesn't explode too much in the next 5 years so that my kids can still have a smaller town feel until they go to college.

We may move into a neighborhood off 290 just west of town. I gotta get that figured out ASAP.
Dumpster Fire
Eat at Pieous everyday.
tamc91
AG
Do you know if Belterra residents were ever successful in getting the gas special utility district to drop their taxes or fees? We looked at Belterra but that tax added a significant amount of money to the actual annual cost.

OP - if you will be commuting nust be aware that the construction to improve flow through the 290 /71 Y likely won't be done for 10 years or more. TXDOT doesn't currently have the funding and there is a political debate about tolling.

Finding the sweet spot for a commute to Austin and reasonable drive to schools is key. If you don't have to commute in, I'd look closer in to DS.
OregonAggie
AG
I appreciate the advice on that. My territory will cover Waco to Corpus, goes as far West as midland, and has Houston. I'm not too worried about the commute into Austin because of that but I've been curious about that. Thank you
The Silverback
AG
to TAMC's point, the Dripping school district runs all the way down 1826 almost to HWY 45, there are communities near Nutty Brown Rd and 1826 that at much closer to Austin and avoid 290 (Reunion Ranch is one of them). Problem is you are then a 20 min drive to Dripping Springs. Just depends on what is more important for you, living closer to Austin or closer to DT Dripping.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
With the widening of 1626, the upcoming addition of SH45 Southwest, and Mo-Pac underpasses under Slaughter and LaCrosse, there may be some good places to find along 967 between 1826 and 1626. Could be an easier drive into Austin and a little less expensive than closer to Dripping Springs. Also, closer to the Salt Lick.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

Also, closer to the Salt Lick.
... which is not anything to put in the 'plus' column, for those of you who don't live here yet and might not know.
OregonAggie
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Also, closer to the Salt Lick.
... which is not anything to put in the 'plus' column, for those of you who don't live here yet and might not know.

I love BBQ and that place is just a cool spot to hangout to me. Not really interested in their food...
fig96
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

Eat at Pieous everyday.
And take your pick of breweries and distilleries to drink at.
putu
AG
keep in mind property taxes are pretty steep in this area as well.
aggielax11
AG
Dripping Springs is great, we also live in Belterra and I like the growth out our way. With the new development opening outside the neighborhood it will be nice to have some options closer to home rather than driving into town anytime we want something.

We picked Belterra/Dripping Springs because of the schools and the community feel. Although growing it still does have that feel and it's great seeing kids in the neighborhood fishing in the ponds or biking around the neighborhood like we used to when we were younger. I wish we had bigger lots, but we actually have a pretty good size backyard compared to others.
Harkrider 93
AG
If you make it out here, join the DS Aggie club!

I work in Austin and commute. It takes 20-30 mins. I leave before 6:30am to miss the traffic. I also dodge it pretty well coming home.

BenFiasco14
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

I work in Austin and commute. It takes 20-30 mins. I leave before 6:30am to miss the traffic. I also dodge it pretty well coming home.

Where in austin do you work?? That seems remarkably short
Harkrider 93
AG
off of Brodie and Ben White - all highway and very little wait at the Y when leaving at 6:15.

likely to get worse if they keep placing lights up and down 290

I think HEB is slotted to open their store in 2019 at Nutty Brown.
Harkrider 93
AG
Just to clarify on the tax issue.

There are a few spots in Dripping that the house/property tax is the same as most other cities (2-2.2%).

A lot of Dripping is closer to 3% because of a MUD district.

When buying a home, make sure you look at the tax rate.
RED AG 98
AG
Another Belterra Ag here! Yeah the taxes are still higher than SW Austin. We think it's worth it for the schools and somewhat smaller town lifestyle. My commute is just to the Y at Oak Hill so that isn't a factor for me.

Welcome to DS!
RED AG 98
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

hey Harkrider,

I signed an "interest" form sometime last year that was floating around but never heard anything back. Let me know what I can do to sign up!

thanks
Harkrider 93
AG
PM me your email and I will send you the info on our next event and put you on the email list.
RED AG 98
AG
Done! Thanks.
OregonAggie
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

I forgot to respond to this.

I'll definitely join the club! Where are the watch parties for football held?
OregonAggie
AG
We ended up finding a home in Arrowhead Ranch on the west side of town and we're pretty excited to move down there!
Harkrider 93
AG
Let me know when you are moving in and we will try to help!

We usually watch the one of three houses. All 3 are on the East side. We have done Treaty Oak a few times.

PM me your email.
TXRunner97
AG
I wish I'd seen your thread sooner.
We are also in Belterra and couldn't love it more.
I cant say enough about the schools in Dripping Springs.
The faculty that we have been in contact with for our 8th grader at Sycamore Springs and our 5th grader at Rooster Elementary could not be more special.
They all truly care about educating young minds and it shows.
OregonAggie
AG
Thanks for the feedback TXRunner!

Anyone have a firewood guy locally? I'm going to be in need of post oak and pecan for my pit.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Dwayne Dougherty Firewood
6900 Old Bee Cave Rd
512-288-0270
OregonAggie
AG
Thank you very much!
DriftwoodAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

Thanks for the feedback TXRunner!

Anyone have a firewood guy locally? I'm going to be in need of post oak and pecan for my pit.
Cooking in central Texas is very different from cooking in Dallas, so if you need a taste tester, I'm down in Driftwood
TXRunner97
AG
we get our firewood at Kinser Ranch off of Fitzhugh.
You'd have to load it in a truck yourself though. They have oak or pecan.

https://firewoodandmulchaustintx.com/kinser-ranch-llc-pricing/
OregonAggie
AG
I think my style is pretty "central texas" like. After all, a central Texas Ag taught me how to smoke stuff.

Simple rub heavy on the cracked pepper, post oak and peacan mix in the pit, and I'm not a fan of wrapping the meat.

Not sure if the pics will post but here's some links to some beef ribs and brisket:

WILDMAN95
AG
Highpointe checking in.
dustin999
AG
We've been in DS going on 5 years.

Pros:
- still has the small town feel (for now)
- great breweries, wineries, distilleries
- growing restaurant scene
- awesome schools
- far enough out of Austin but still accessible to Austin
- fairly good access to services like high speed internet, etc.
- dark sky status which is kinda cool
- HEB
- cool state and county parks: Pedernales Falls, Reimers Ranch, Enchanted Rock, Hamilton Pool, and even Lost Maples/Garner State Park not too far
- not bad for commuting to San Antonio down 281
- still let you put your groceries in those evil plastic bags

Cons:
- it's growing way too fast
- zero affordable housing. Hard to find a house under $300k (this comes in to play if you have retired parents that you want to bring along one day as well)
- not much ethnic diversity in the school system or people in general
- being invaded by austinites and Californians, which can be seen by the transformation on the DS Neighbors page on Facebook as well as the number of Beto signs starting to show up in yards
- 290 is a death trap (I'm scared to death of my kids driving 290 when they reach driving age)
- 290 has little capacity for expansion without using eminent domain, not sure how all these cars will commute in 5 years
- have to drive to Austin or bee cave when you need something like fishing tackle or a present for a kids party
- for some reason there's an insanely high volume of dentists, car repair shops, and nail salons, and I have no idea why.
- lots of one lane roads like Hamilton pool road, sawyer ranch, rr12, with jackass drivers that tailgate and flash lights because you're only driving the speed limit

Honestly, I really like it here. When we lived in circle c, I got tired of neighbors and a lack of privacy (I suffer from cranky old man syndrome). Now we're on 4 acres and nobody bothers us. Of course land is harder to come by these days and at a premium.

The new houses are really nice. We have some friends over in the headwaters subdivision, and while it's smaller lots, the views from many of the lots are amazing, and the amenities are great.
el_scorcho
AG
No offense but Belterra is the worst. Move out to the "country" only to be stacked a few feet away from your neighbor in a master planned community that is going to end up surrounded by others. Buy you an acre with a house 5 min away while you can.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.