Austin
Sponsored by

Hold onto your Butts I-35 and 183 ramp construction

2,868 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SteveBott
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3 YEAR project to build flyover ramps at I-35 and 183 that we're apparently proposed more than 20 Years ago is now approved and funded. Prepare for collosal northside commute traffic to come.
Copperpot
AG
Yikes. Glad we're inside of 183.
Potcake
AG
Yea, I use SB 183 frontage to NB 35 in AM and SB 35 to NB 183 frontage daily to work. I may have to start using Lamar.
SteveBott
AG
Used to do that route but now I work from home. That will be a cluster
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Mopac is goIng under slaughter so that will take forever as well. Traffic will be awful there as well.
BenFiasco14
AG
Sounds horrific. Where can I get more info on this travesty?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Mopac is goIng under slaughter so that will take forever as well. Traffic will be awful there as well.
and LaCrosse

But when those are completed along with SH45 Southwest, it should cut about 10 minutes off my commute and reduce a lot of traffic headaches along Brodie in Shady Hollow.
abileneag09
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

3 YEAR project to build flyover ramps at I-35 and 183 that we're apparently proposed more than 20 Years ago is now approved and funded. Prepare for collosal northside commute traffic to come.
Proposed 20 years ago... funded now. That's one of the reasons I moved away. I'm sure every major city has delays in projects such as this, but delays in developing infrastructure seems to be standard practice in Austin. Those flyovers need to be built, as does the construction on Mopac/Slaughter, but they are long overdue. The I-35 project will be even worse once they figure out how to expand it through downtown.
KT 90
AG
Quote:

delays in developing infrastructure seems to be standard practice intentional in Austin
Bill Bunch and his crew do whatever they can to delay/stall/stop any road related improvements east west of IH35. Apparently if you don't improve the roads, people won't move here. Yeah, that strategy worked well.

abileneag09
AG
KT 90 said:

Quote:

delays in developing infrastructure seems to be standard practice intentional in Austin
Bill Bunch and his crew do whatever they can to delay/stall/stop and road related improvements east of IH35. Apparently if you don't improve the roads, people won't move here. Yeah, that strategy worked well.

That's a better way to say it. I can't remember where, but I heard once that the Austin city planners decided in the 60's and 70's that if they didn't build the infrastructure up, nobody would move there. They were obviously wrong, and that's one of the reasons infrastructure is at least 20 years behind population growth.

I live in Colorado Springs now, and there's only traffic if someone gets in a wreck on the highway. Otherwise there's at most a 5 minute delay on a 30 minute drive during rush hour.
Furlock Bones
AG
i just built down in Greyrock. they closed one of the turn lanes at Slaughter and it has already royally ****ed up mopac south. i can't figure out why they needed to close that lane at this point in time.
Aggieangler93
AG
KT 90 said:

Quote:

Bill Bunch and his crew do whatever they can to delay/stall/stop any road related improvements east of IH35. Apparently if you don't improve the roads, people won't move here. Yeah, that strategy worked well.

Yep...couple this with incentivizing the hell out of new corporations to move to town for the last 20 years, and you get the current Austin quagmire. Lunatics run the asylum here. Has been that way here since before I was born. This is reason number 1 why I don't own a home in the Austin city limits. The city of Austin cannot manage their way out of a paper bag.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
KT 90
AG
DOH. Just noticed my typo... meant WEST of IH35, not east. Bunch and crew could care less what happens east of IH35.

wadd96
AG
This is why we are planning to move to Milam County... that and all the super crazy lefty loo BS the Silly Council is hell bent on implementing...

I guess until that time I'll be taking 130 more and more...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
HTownAg98
Bill got his clock cleaned on the latest round of SH 45 cases they tried. He may have had some of the wind removed from his sails.
tamutaylor12
This city needs to get the funding and have a decade of major road construction. It will be miserable during that time but it will be like ripping a bandaid off. Minor project after minor project while people move here by the hundreds of thousands. And the next planner that mentions bike lanes...
Caesar4
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

we're apparently proposed more than 20 Years ago
Who is this "we" and how did they not know that they had proposed 20 years ago.
Mike Elko
AG
Classic Austin.
BwdAg
AG
Any guesses on what will be the plan for 35 downtown? That will make the mopac upgrade look like a cake walk.
Ozzy Osbourne
That's great! We can all get to the parking lot that is I-35 so much quicker!
wadd96
AG
Plan? That's funny!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
BQ92
AG
BwdAg said:

Any guesses on what will be the plan for 35 downtown? That will make the mopac upgrade look like a cake walk.

TXDOT had a plan that included funding with tolls. Dan Patrick came out hard against it. It was killed. No funding allocated.

It would have been really painful. Deferring the problem 2+ more years will make the problem only worse.
SteveBott
AG
Add the Gov to your list of objectors. Now nothing is in the works for 35 expansion. And those two don't live here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.